MX track design help

9 replies to this topic
  • ecarlson

Posted March 24, 2001 - 05:03 AM

I have some land and would like to build a few interesting features for practice. I mostly ride woods and enduros, but don't feel good about big air...yet.
Does anyone have any suggestion or direct me to any resources for designing whoops, table-tops, whatever...entrance and landing grades (angle), height, distance?

• Angel_Boy

Posted April 10, 2001 - 01:05 PM

Whats up ecarlson? That is cool you are going to build a track. It is not too difficult, it just takes lots and lots of dirt and time. Since you aren't comfortable with getting a lot of air, start by building all your jumps table-tops. With my track, I piled dirt in a row about 8 feet wide and 6 feet high. Make the distance about 20 to 25 feet. A 45 degree angle works good on the landing. Shallower for a shallow jump and steeper for a jump that shoots you up high. The jump should be a couple feet taller than the landing. Make sure you don't make them too steep or curvy at the top. A nice smooth transition with the last couple of feet being close to straight, just don't make it too steep. Buy a couple of MX magazines, and look at the jumps they are hitting.
What kind of machine's are you going to use? Bobcats work really good jor finishing up jump faces and smoothing out landings, but their buckets are too small to be moving a lot of fill around. Back to the jumps, after you get comfortable with the table tops, you can take the dirt from the middle and add it on to the landing or the jump to make it longer/taller. This way as your skills improve, so will your jumps. As far as woops are concerned, just make a bunch of piles of dirt in rows and make them as long as you want. Whoops need constant maintance so don't worry if you make them wrong the first time. What kind of dirt are you using? Clay works the best, but I am stuck with black dirt and it is difficult keeping ruts off of the jump faces. Hope this helps. Oh yah, I'm in Northern Illinois, where are you located? Have a great time building your track and it gets a lot easier the more you time you spend on it. Later
Angel Boy

• ecarlson

Posted April 11, 2001 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the help! I'm in Essex, IL, which is about 20 miles west of Kankakee.

The soil is some of the best farm soil in the area, best for corn, not table-tops.

I have access to some sizeable front-end loaders, as well as bobcats. Everybody kind of helps everybody out around here.

My dilema....Do I find clay fill or find a close by piece of land that is clay. I would like the convenience of it being on my land, but I don't know about the $'s and availablity of clay fill. This will probably be a 2002 goal, but I am planning now.

For now the neighbor let me run a 2-3 mile Hare Scramble type circuit through his land. 2-3 miles of woods and grass trails.

Thanks again!

• Angel_Boy

Posted April 18, 2001 - 09:12 PM

ecarlson, I would keep the track on your own property for liability reasons, and also because personal tracks tend to become popular and the land owner doesn't need the extra hassel of people asking if they can ride. Don't worry about not having clay, my track is all black dirt. Dirt just needs more maintanance on the jump faces and for whoops. Trucking in clay could be very expensive unless you find a construction company that is looking to get rid of it, and will haul for free. Bobcats work excellent for smoothing out dirt and creating perfect transitions in jumps and smoothe berms, but they are bad for moving dirt all day long. Good luck with your track, it sounds like it will be a good one. Later, Angel Boy

[This message has been edited by Angel Boy (edited 04-18-2001).]

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted April 18, 2001 - 01:33 PM

Hey ECarlson,
You need some help?! I second the table top idea, they are much better for getting your confidence up, and are the safest jumps. The only problem I see is time, it will take alot of time. You will want to have a setup laid out, you will probably change it some , but at least you will have a plan. Ther is an MX track in Ottawa that is one of the easiest to jump on, they are all Tabletops . We should make plans to go out there. I know it is only a couple hours away from me(Southern WI), so it should be fairly close to you also. Let me know.
Dave

------------------
00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ecarlson

Posted April 18, 2001 - 06:39 PM

You're right about Ottowa, Lots of tabletops. I went there about 6 times last year, but I only had an XT350 at the time. I picked up my WR at end of season last year, so I haven't attempted the track yet this year.
I would be more than interested to meet up sometime at Ottowa. Your welcome to swing down to the farm also. A farmer let me carve out a 2-1/2 to 3 mile Hare Scramble circuit in the woods surrounding his fields. It's nothing like Roselawn, but it is great practice, a couple hundred feet from home.
I am going to the Enduro Sunday (4-22) near Rockford, Il. Let me know if you are going.
Also the NITRO Trials Club is putting on a Trials schools at Ottowa on Saturday the 28th. They are going to teach how to apply Trials skills while riding MX bikes. Trials bikes not required. I thought it may offer some interesting tips and improve my skills.
Based on your finish in the enduro, I think your skills must be well polished.
I could use some safe jumping pointers if we hook up in Ottowa. Thanks

• ecarlson

Posted April 18, 2001 - 06:40 PM

Angel Boy! Thanks for the feedback!

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted April 19, 2001 - 03:03 PM

Is that the Enduro in Byron? If it is, let me tell you that it is EXTREMELY tough.It is alot of fun though. I won't be able to make that one, but I plan on going to Ottawa in a week or two, I will E-mail you and let you know. I might take you up on that offer at your place too.Have fun at the Enduro and let me know how you did.
By the way, what tires are you riding on? If you are on the OE tires, look into different ones. I prefer Michelins, but the Dunlops755 and 756 are good also. You will want to at least change the front tire. Check posts because there have been alot of discussions on them.Talk to ya later.
Dave

------------------
00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

• ecarlson

Posted April 19, 2001 - 05:13 PM

EXTREMELY tough??!! :) Oh boy.... I didn't think I could find anything tougher than the Roselawn Enduro. That sand is what killed me.
I figured it costs the same to enter the enduros as it does to go to Ottowa. I think the more time on the bike under a little pressure is a good thing.
Thanks for the tire tip. I am running the OE tires and am ready for a change. I don't think I can get it done before this one.
Just so I can mentally prepare, what makes the Byron one so tough?

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted April 20, 2001 - 03:03 AM

LOGS!!!! Alot of them, They have quite a Log garden on the club grounds, Then a few water crosings, Some very steep hill climbs. Go and ride, I was going to ride it, but some other plans came up.It is one of the most challenging rides you will go on, but you will learn alot.
A word of advice, take your time, and make it as far as you can. Don't worry about your checkpoints, and just keep riding, rest only when you need to, don't worry about points , just try to make it through the entire Enduro.
Have fun , and let me know how you did.
Dave

------------------
00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.