i think i have a real real big problem on my hands.

55 replies to this topic
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted September 27, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Ok, here goes: I purchased my bike (1998 xr650l) in late May and have put on around 1200 miles with little to no complaints yet....except for the weight. I absolutley love my bike. I had to replace the chain and sprokets which i put on a cheap parts unlimited o ring and jt sprokets....100 dollar total....no biggie and they are holding up very well.

Ok, now to the issue, before my last long trail ride i checked my oil (the first time in about 250 miles) and it registered at just the very botom tip of the dip stick (when hot and cold) so i filled it up to the middle. Everything went great on the trip.....no crashes, rained in the morning and sunny all afternoon. i got back.... oil was still fine but it was only a 60 mile trip. now i have noticed that when i rev it way up the bring it to about 3000 rpm's and hit it agin it shoots out a big cloud of white smoke....and it slowly pours out smoke at the 3000 rpm's.....it isnt much smoke but i am very worried about it. Could my bike be burning oil? what could be wrong with it? Do you think i will have to put new rings in or something?

Any input would be greatly appricieated.

Thank you all,
Joe

• miguelitro

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:25 PM

valve adjustments? wasnt on your list...

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:27 PM

could valves cause it to burn oil?

• J_Daniels

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Sounds like carboned up rings.

• babbs

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:32 PM

If your oil is the same level when hot and cold you have a major problem. But the smoke coming out of your exhaust probably told you that. Only check the oil WHEN IT IS HOT. If you check the oil when it is cold it will give a false low reading....prompting the catastrophic addition of oil when not indicated.

Do a search on how to check the oil.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:35 PM

well, my oil does give me the same reading when cold as hot but what ever. what could the smoke be from???

• XRsteve

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:27 PM

Checking oil is kinda tricky. The bike must be completely warm and checked immediately after shutting it off. Mine never reads on the stick unless its warm. If it reads when cold, you may want to pull the line of the bottom of the downtube and check the screen inside the oil reservoir. It should drain fairly quickly when shut off.
When oil burns it usually has a slightly blue color to the smoke. The smell is also distinctive.
To be on the safe side, just change your oil and filter and put in the exact amount. Overfilling can cause oil burning, but that usually goes away when the correct amount is in.

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Your oil level should always be higher when the motor's warm. The oil in the frame settles back into the engine when cold. Never check the oil level right after the bike's been run at high speeds and wait 3 to 5 minutes before checking the oil level after shutting down the motor.

Time to start ruling out what might be causing the smoke and you need to start with checking the compression which requires a compression gauge. If you can find out what the baseline reading is you'll be able to tell if the motor is getting loose or worn. If your compression is low, add a cap full of fresh oil in the cylinder down the spark plug hole and recheck the compression. If it goes up, it's probably the rings and or piston. If nothing happens, it's probably the valves.

I had an 83 XL600R that put out lots of black smoke and ran strong for years. These motors are very durable and smoking doesn't mean the end of it's useful life. How about the plug? What color is it? Is the fuel mixture rich or lean?

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:36 PM

fuel mix is fine. i have no compression testor. i think i should probably add this in there its pretty important....i have gotten sand into my engine.....the boot came off right at the carb and i wen for at lest 5 miles with it like that....not knowing it of course.

• cholwerk

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Engines don't like sand. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:50 PM

fuel mix is fine. i have no compression testor. i think i should probably add this in there its pretty important....i have gotten sand into my engine.....the boot came off right at the carb and i wen for at lest 5 miles with it like that....not knowing it of course.

Check your muffler belt. I think it is loose.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:55 PM

muffler belt?

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 27, 2005 - 10:28 PM

Couple of things:

Whenever I buy a secondhand bike I do a test for oil burning which involves warming it up and running in neutral at medium revs for a minute. I then give it a quick blip on the throttle. If if pours smoke out then it's probably worn rings or worse. Usually the first time you'll get away with a light honing of the bore and new rings.

If if puffs smoke out when going down hill, closed throttle, or immediately upon startup and then clears it's probably valve seals/guides.

Like a previous post "oil smoke" has a distinctive smell. It's not coolant, which is usually "white smoke" and even then it would have to be a hefty leak, of course on an "L" so that is not a concern.

Rings are really cheap to fix if you can do the work yourself, it's probably not a job for a novice though.

• Thumpmeister

Posted September 28, 2005 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like the rings to me. But, thats not suprising to hear of those bikes using oil. My dad has had two NX 650's (how he found them I dunno, and now he has a Transalp), and both of the bikes were known for using oil. As I'm sure you all know, the NX was the predecessor to the XR 650 L. It was pretty much like the FMX 650 over in Europe; low and SM'd out. But, none the less, these bikes were both pretty much new when he got them, as either rider hardly rode the bike. But the bikes would always manage to suck up a fair amount of oil. No smoke on start up, exepct the usual condensation on a cold day, but for some reason each bike used an unusual amount of oil just in regualr running. White smoke isn't normal, but oil consumption is on these bikes.

• dirtrocket

Posted September 28, 2005 - 01:34 AM

muffler belt?

Dude if you can't find the muffler belt you should just bring her into a good shop or dealer.

For cryin out loud its right next to the tranny cooler.
:banghead: :applause:

• ghoti

Posted September 28, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Dude if you can't find the muffler belt you should just bring her into a good shop or dealer.

For cryin out loud its right next to the tranny cooler.
:applause: :lol:

Mine's next to the gunkulator shaft :banghead:

• nscmj3

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:04 AM

The muffler belt helps keep the muffler bearings cool. Without it, they just sit there never getting the chance to dissipate the heat. Muffler bearings blowing out at 60mph is just downright dangerous! And check the spark arrestor while you're back there. Maybe it got gummed up and the excess is just burning off.

• TREADMARKS

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:53 AM

It is just overfilled.

check your airbox for signs of oil.

Start engine and let idle for 5 minutes.

Stop engine and check oil.

Keep a rag handy when you open the cap! :banghead:

• don87xr600

Posted September 28, 2005 - 06:18 AM

It's obviously time for a new powerband, nothing a bucket of jet blast won't fix. :banghead:

• ghoti

Posted September 28, 2005 - 07:03 AM

It's obviously time for a new powerband, nothing a bucket of jet blast won't fix. :banghead:

What powerband are you guys running? I tried the black one but it was too peaky for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.