Rookie mechanic w/ questions

14 replies to this topic
  • Taewa

Posted September 27, 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hey guys...I am a total rookie mechanic, and I have a couple questions if you wouldn't mind helping me... :banghead:

1) Just bought a new K & N filter for my '99 WR 400. I took out the old foam one along with the plastic insert with a screen in it. Was that right? Should I have tried to leave the screen insert in the K & N filter at all?

2) My bike runs real well overall. I have good throttle response, and plenty of power for me across the range. The only problem I get is when I am cruising up something like a hill climb and kinda punching it, then i get to top and lay off completely...or other times when I am getting on it, then immediately bog it...it DIES. Any ideas on what could be going wrong here?

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 27, 2005 - 03:47 PM

The issue you have with going uphills could be related to your float adjustment. If it's set too low the carb can run out of gas on an incline. If you have a manual it will give the spec on the float adjustment. If you don't have a manual, let me know I can copy mine and fax it to you. :banghead:

The bog off idle with a quick snap of the throttle? Welcome to the world of 4 strokes. Maybe some of the more advanced tweakers here can tell you how to eliminate that but it's usually something that most of us live with and learn how to accept.

• Taewa

Posted September 27, 2005 - 04:41 PM

Thanks, I'll check on that floater. I do have a manual, but I appreciate your offer. Any input on the air filter issue anyone?

• Bamster

Posted September 28, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Has your bike had the BK mod done to it?
Do a search on the BK mod or free mods.

• Taewa

Posted September 28, 2005 - 08:22 AM

The article that I found on it said that it WILL NOT work for a '99 WR 400. That is what I have, so no luck for me. It sounds like a great mod though. Still wondering about my original air filter question. Was I supposed to take the plastic part with screen on it that goes in the foam filter OUT when I replaced the foam filter with the K & N filter? :banghead:

• Blaster21996

Posted September 28, 2005 - 08:54 AM

The article that I found on it said that it WILL NOT work for a '99 WR 400. That is what I have, so no luck for me. It sounds like a great mod though. Still wondering about my original air filter question. Was I supposed to take the plastic part with screen on it that goes in the foam filter OUT when I replaced the foam filter with the K & N filter? :banghead:

I have never used the K&N filter so I can not help. But if you fire an e-mail to K&N I am sure they will tell you. The only good reason to use the plastic piece is for the back-fire screen (the wire mesh). If it mates up to the K&N then I would guess that you are suppose to reuse it. :applause:

• Taewa

Posted September 28, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Great advice bro. Thanks. I did that, but also noticed they have about a two-week turnaround on emails. I'll hope for something faster, or that there is a TT guru still out there ready to answer my question...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taewa

Posted September 28, 2005 - 12:30 PM

Looks like K & N is faster than two weeks on email. Here is the reply I got for future forum surfers...

"You will not reinstall the guide that the original air filter goes onto. Install the K&N Air Filter without this guide.

I am going to revise the installation instructions to include not using the guide. I will send you a copy of the installation instructions when I complete them.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,

Powersports Application Coordinator" :banghead:

• RichBaker

Posted September 28, 2005 - 03:39 PM

K&Ns are notoriously poor at filtering fine dust. I quit using them in 1988 after I found evidence of dust getting thru in the a boot between carb and airbox...it's not a big deal if you rebuild often, a couple times a season, but otherwise I'd stay away from them.

• Taewa

Posted September 28, 2005 - 03:47 PM

That is kinda scary to hear. Everyone I've talked to is pleased with their K & N filter, but maybe they haven't torn into the engine to see the dust you are talking about. Are there any other opinions out there that agree or disagree with this previous post?

• 5valve

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:06 AM

k&n is street vehicles orientated even though they make them fit dirt bikes

• Math

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:29 AM

I have a cousin who's a fine mechanic and he is sure that the K&N is not enough for dusty conditions... He had tested it on his XR400 and found some dammage to the piston and cylinder after two seasons of use (the last being with the K&N). He put those dammage on the filtrer... Never used it again...

He runs an after market filtrer in his XR650r now but I can't remember which brand. I'll ask him tonight.

• Taewa

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:34 PM

I already installed the K&N - :banghead: , but haven't ridden on it. I guess I will try to take it back and get a foam filter. What do you guys think about the foam filters? What kind is best? Are the Uni or Twin Air filters any good?

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 29, 2005 - 12:39 PM

K&N may also sell a foam sleeve to put over it for dusty conditions. I used to run K&N's on my jetski's and they had one that would help keep water splash out of the carb. The K&N's will breath better than any other foam filter with out a doubt, but there will be a price to pay in the dusty conditions! You might even see if a typical sized Filter Skin will work for dusty conditions. :banghead:

Good luck man.

I actually found that my stock foam is pretty good when compared to the Twin Air aftertmarket I bought. It has more surface area and provides a better seal.

• RichBaker

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Foam filters do a great job, UNI or Twin Air or most any other brand name will work well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.