Decomression lever leaking

3 replies to this topic
  • XR_Dude

Posted September 27, 2005 - 08:42 AM

Have any of you ever had an oil leak at the decompression shaft on the XR 600R? If so how did you fix it?

• XR250rdr

Posted September 27, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Its pretty common after a while. You just have to replace the seal.

Basic procedure is as follows:
Pull rocker arm cover
Carefully heat the area around the decomp shaft retaining pin with a propane torch then remove the pin.
Remove the decomp shaft then pop out the old seal.
Install the new seall and decomp shaft then tap the retaining pin back in. You might have to warm the case up again to get it back in smoothly.
The end of the retaining pin should be flush with the bottom of the rocker arm cover. If you push it in too far it will hit the decomp shaft and make it bind.

Don't take this as gospel, I just wanted to give you an idea what is involved. The manual spells it out better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_Dude

Posted September 29, 2005 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the parts and will start disassembly this weekend. Thanks again! :banghead:

• XR250rdr

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:41 AM

I have a trilingual PDF of the Honda XR6 service manual if you want it. Just drop me a PM.

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.