YZ250 2 stroke converts

93 replies to this topic
  • Satch0922

Posted September 28, 2005 - 04:55 PM

please be advised that both the 250 smoker and the 450 thump are awesome bikes.....just different. Both require practice and dedication to use them properly. Neither will turn you into RC overnight. :banghead:

• RaptorRacer888

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:47 PM

Well im pretty much the oposite of what the generel consensus of this thread thinks.

I think I would do better on a thumper than my 250. Rode a Raptor before my 250 and was used to torque and fourstrokes. Deffantly took a while to adapt to the 250 power but I finally got used to it. But I need more bike I think. I wiegh 230lb and I am 6'6 so I think a thumper would pull me better. So im waiting till the 06 YZ 450's start showing up at my local dealers this winter and then see what I can get for my 250. Then hopefully spring of 06, I will be thumping.

I meen, 250's are fine for people that I think are in the 150-170 range like all my friends. But I think around the 200+ range a 450 just gives you more advantage. And I would rather have less precise turning and wiegh a bit more then have to worry about perfectly railing the berm to get enough power to clear the next obstacle.

06 YZ 450...its been a part of my dreams since it came out. Im deffantly going to end up getting one.

• techmc

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Yea, I just converted to the '06 YZ250, am selling the 03 YZ450, at 45 going back to racing 1 a month is hard to do, but the 250 just seems sooo much lighter than the 450 did and the suspension is soo much better all around than the 450. My son watched me on my first race back after 4 years and said that I rode the 450 like a 2 stroke, and I can't do that, so I know I belong on a 2 stroke, was raised on them and learned on them, if they could just get the weight and high cent of grav down. Will keep you informed on progress of bike. :banghead: :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted September 28, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Yea, I just converted to the '06 YZ250, am selling the 03 YZ450, at 45 going back to racing 1 a month is hard to do, but the 250 just seems sooo much lighter than the 450 did and the suspension is soo much better all around than the 450. My son watched me on my first race back after 4 years and said that I rode the 450 like a 2 stroke, and I can't do that, so I know I belong on a 2 stroke, was raised on them and learned on them, if they could just get the weight and high cent of grav down. Will keep you informed on progress of bike. :banghead: :applause:

That sums it up right there. And BTW...I think the 06 YZF will be an incredible bike if they achieved their goals.

• SM421

Posted September 28, 2005 - 06:47 PM

What do you like about the 450 so much more than the 250? I have an 04 450 and I really like it, but I have been really thinkin about gettin on the new YZ250. I've been off a smoker now for over a year but keep kickin around the idea of gettin one. What have you noticed as being the biggest difference from your 03?

For me the abundance of power on the 450 makes it much easier to ride. You can short shift and use the torque to go fast rather than screeming the motor every where. The 450 handles better through the whoops and it negotiate uphills with less effort. You can also clear obstacles right out of corners easier because gear selection is not as critical as it is on the 2-stroke.

When I when back to the 2-stroke it felt like I was riding a 125. On the track in particular, It felt under powered and I always seemed to be in the wrong gear. It seemed like I was working twice as hard to go as fast as anyone else who was on a 4-Stroke 450.

• dunecj2a

Posted September 28, 2005 - 09:30 PM

For me the abundance of power on the 450 makes it much easier to ride. You can short shift and use the torque to go fast rather than screeming the motor every where. The 450 handles better through the whoops and it negotiate uphills with less effort. You can also clear obstacles right out of corners easier because gear selection is not as critical as it is on the 2-stroke.

When I when back to the 2-stroke it felt like I was riding a 125. On the track in particular, It felt under powered and I always seemed to be in the wrong gear. It seemed like I was working twice as hard to go as fast as anyone else who was on a 4-Stroke 450.

Yeah I hear ya, I wish I could just test ride the g-damn things :banghead: 211 lbs would sure be fun to throw around. :applause:

• tp3dxf

Posted September 28, 2005 - 11:22 PM

I race So. Cal Dez. My old race bike was a 01 WR 426 with a cam and pipe free mods and lot of other stuff. Great bike I love it. Never let me down with over 220 hours on the motor and two valve checks. Both times in spec.

I wanted something different. I got the YZ 250 two stroke. Wow what a bike. Super light and ultra responsive. I've raced it twice in the dez and I love it. I changed gearing and added the required armor and a FMF Gnarly pipe.

I am amazed by the lil 250. It flat out rips. Even on rocky tight uphills it has the grunt to pull from way down low. I love the thing. Great bike with amazing power spread.

I rode a 05 RM and it screamed on top. But was a bit twitchy at speed and the bottom end was a bit weak compared to the YZ. Still the RM on a track is a great bike.

I am glad I got the YZ it fits my style better. Great bike but I still have my thumper for a all purpose bike. It even has a Cal plate.

The lil YZ is helping me to become a better all around rider.

I can't wait for the 06 YZ 450. I think that could be a great offroad bike.

• AnthonyRohde

Posted September 29, 2005 - 01:02 AM

I had a 04 CRF450, then a 05 YZF450, and now a 06 YZ250.

The CRF was a time bomb waiting to explode. I wont
detail how bad this bike was for reliability. The YZF450
was much better, but didn't handle as well, esp. in the front.

I never ever thought Id go back to a 2-smoker, but I rode
a friends 05 YZ250 about 2 months ago at my local MX track
and was 3 seconds a lap quicker (over a 1min30sec lap) in
my 3rd lap. I could not believe it, so I went out again and sure
enough I got even faster.

It certainly dont feel faster, but the track is quick technical
so the better cornering of the YZ250 allows me to take new
lines that are obviously faster.

For jumping, the YZ250 is clearly better in my mind. If you've
got a short run-up, it gets there quicker, and I can control the
flight of the bike better than the 450.

Overall, it is a surprisingly good bike. I certainly wont be going
back to 4-stoke any time soon.

And of course its cheaper.

• Satch0922

Posted September 29, 2005 - 03:03 AM

The 450 handles better through the whoops and it negotiate uphills with less effort. You can also clear obstacles right out of corners easier because gear selection is not as critical as it is on the 2-stroke

I have to disagree. If this were the case with all riders, then everyone would be on a thumper in supercross.

There is no arguement that the two stroke accelerates faster....hence it will get you over obstacles easier out of corners. The light weight makes whoops a breeze. Like I said before...you have to learn how to ride both bikes properly.

• gonzo

Posted September 29, 2005 - 06:44 AM

I have to disagree. If this were the case with all riders, then everyone would be on a thumper in supercross.

There is no arguement that the two stroke accelerates faster....hence it will get you over obstacles easier out of corners. The light weight makes whoops a breeze. Like I said before...you have to learn how to ride both bikes properly.

I have to agree with Satch. My YZ250 handles indoor whoops better than my RMZ450 does. The RMZ feels more planted than the YZ but the YZ feels more effortless and just glides across the top. Now on big outdoor whooped out sections I think my RMZ is better. I feel more in control on thumper outdoors than on the 250. Both bikes are great though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetsprint2

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:56 AM

I converted from a 99' YZ 125 to an 04' YZ 450F. I am 5' 9" and 155lbs, a "legit" intermediate level rider. The 125 was my first motorcycle and I bought it new after I graduated high school. As you could imagine the only thing similar between the two bikes is that they are both blue and have two wheels. I was pretty quick on my 125 and loved the handling characteristics but I wanted a bike that could do everying including trail riding- so I went with the 450 and sold the 125. I have had the 450 for over a year now and I really enjoy it- I can be lazy on it and ride just as fast as I was on my 125 reved to the moon- it is not fair to compare the performance between a 125 and 450- don't get me wrong. Depending on how track conditions are I could be faster on my 125 than on my current 450 but for the most part I am better off on the big bike for MX. The maintanence on my 450 is not too bad, I actually enjoy the spare time in my garage getting my bike in peak condition. I do not miss messing around with the 2smoke premix. I am considering getting a second bike and if I do decide to it will be an 06 yz250 2smoke, I was good on the 125 so I think I would become a custom on the 250 pretty quick- I have never been on a 250 2smoke though. BTW nice thread I have really enjoyed reading the post- good work guys. :banghead:

• Ray450

Posted September 29, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I've switched back and forth every year between 250s and Open class bikes (just because I get bored) for the last 20 years. In 02 it was a YZ 250, in 03 YZ 450, 04 YZ-250, 05 YZ-450 (I've been stuck on YZs lately, but have had time with Cr-500s, KX-500s, 490s, XRs, RM-250s, KX-250s etc. Both bikes are great. I am thinking about keeping my 04 250 around (or replace it with a newer 250!) just because there are tracks I like it better. I ride mostly offroad (expert class) but ride moto also. IMO, the 250 is better in big whoops, mud and really nasty tight tracks. I think the 450 is better on most tracks though. Fourstrokes have always pushed through the small bumps better, braking or acceleration. They are the ultimate lazy man's bike (turning 40, I sit now more than I stand and can't get much lazier), the wide ration 4spd, matched with super torque and wide power means you always have power, don't shift as much and are probably always in a good gear. Traction is great. Often on a 250, rather than take a risk of bogging, you clutch and explode out of corners, sometimes costing you traction, control and energy. I can get away with being stupid on a 250 more so than a 450, but I try not to get too stupid anymore. I also disagree that jumping is harder on a 450. I went to a new track to break in my 450. I figured it was smarter to at least ride a bike I was used to on a new track, so my first couple times out was on the 250. I started to clear a small triple, but backed down about 20% of the time if I screwed up the turn or shift just a little. The turn was rutted, deep wet Sand/loam. I had to hit it good in 2nd, and shift to 3rd just before the jump to clear it. Then I went out on my 450, I told my buddies I would not be trying that particular jump on the new bike. Well, after a few laps, I discovered I could easily make the turn in 3rd and clear the jump fine. I had to back down a few times on my 250, came up a little short once, but on the 450, nailed it perfect every time. On another jump at a different track, I had to do the turn in 2nd, then the jump in 3rd on my 250. On the 450 I could make the turn in 2nd or 3rd, and clear the jump fine in 2nd, 3rd or 4th (2nd had a few dogs howling, 4th was just to prove I could). Now, if I do screw up a jump, I'd rather be on the 250. My 450 starts fine (after a couple kicks that will still tire you out more than kicking a 250 5-7 times) 95% of the time. But after about 20 2+ hour races on my 03 450, that other 5% had a couple floods that took minutes to restart and I watched as classes went by, drenched in sweat kicking the beast. My 250s have never needed more than a couple easy kicks at most. I sometimes catch myself riding a little too easy on the 450 in fear of stalls or tumps. This is why in really tight technical and some mud races, I'll race the 250. Because tumps, stalls and restarts are not a if, but a how many. Picking up muddy 250s is a lot easier than picking up and crashing on muddy 450s. Both require about the same maintenance, it just takes longer and is more expensive on the 450. Most days, I prefer the 450, catch me on a day where I've had a problem stalling it, starting it, or am working on it, I'll probably tell you I prefer the 250.

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 29, 2005 - 10:12 AM

wow, I had no idea when I brought this up what a great topic of interest it would be. this is pretty cool. great minds think alike huh, ha ha ha.

I'm new to the 2 stroke but rode YZ250f my first 2 years and CRF450 the last 2 years. I think they are easy to ride and pretty forgiving. I always new I could clear most stuff right out of corners in 2nd gear with a twist of the wrist and a little seat bounce. That's good and bad because I got lazy and always knew I could carry less corner speed and still clear stuff. But they turn slower and feel heavier-because they are.

The 2 things that drove me to switch the most were reliability issues I was having with the crf/ and valve checks/rebuilds costs, basically maintaining it, (the yz is much more simple mechanically). 2nd just the fact I never had a 2 stroke 250 and always wanted one. I wanted a new challenge/experience for the fun. All my friends are on 4 strokes and when I told them I hgot the 06 YZ the first thing they all said is, "can I ride it?"

I am dying to ride this new bike. We got a ton of rain last night right as I was leaving work so I never got it out. Hopefully this evening we head to the track. It's about 40 minutes away and they said the tracks in ok shape. Hopefully tomorrow I can give you guys some good feedback.

I have to get some seat time soon. I'm hoping to race it Saturday. Keep the feedback coming boys. Satch if you have any advice for the more technical sections I'm all ears. Like double doubles, and uphill rhythm sections. I think the jumps will come back, but I know the do fly different that the 4 strokes. I'll have to adjust my body position a bit I'm sure. I plan to start on the easy jumps and go from there.

later guys, Joe

• SM421

Posted September 29, 2005 - 01:17 PM

Obviously we have different opinions about which bike handles what better. After some 35 plus years of riding I can only say what works best for me.

As for the two stroke accelerating faster and getting over obstacles easier out of corners, that depends on the traction available and weather you can keep the rpm's up through the corner...

• Satch0922

Posted September 29, 2005 - 05:25 PM

like I said before...they are both great bikes and require dedication to ride them properly.

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 29, 2005 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys,

I got in about an hour at the track before dark tonight. I have to say my first impression of the YZ is that this bike is just awesome. Everything you have read is true. It's light, has a great motor, suspension felt more plush as I rode, it turns very easy and quick, it stops way better than my 450, it flies really well too. I did find the front end getting high at first but 2 clicks out on the fork rebound (slower) balanced it out just right.

I should note, we had a lot of rain yesterday so the track was muddy, rutted and wet in some spots and other areas nice and tacky. But the YZ cuts through the muddy stuff much easier than my CRF did.

Here are my likes and dislikes so far.

The bike is very light and it shows. I felt more confident in those areas that were muddy and rutted and in control more so than on the heavier 450. Sometimes the 450 would push where the yz just skims in straights and cuts when you turn. The front end is so much lighter.

The YZ corners extremely well. It settles in well to ruts or flat turns and accelerates out nice and smooth. It did great in 3rd gear sweepers and in tight 2nd gear corners. Just an occasionally touch-o-the clutch on exit and your engine sings.

The bike stops on a dime. This caught me by surprise. I had not thought of this advantage until I rode it tonight. I found when I was shutting down and braking where I normally did on the 450 it was about 15-20 ft to soon depending on the speed I was carrying. In time I'll learn where I need to break but I ride this track a lot and I know the YZ stops far quicker.

In the whoops/rhythm section I used to jump through 2 at a time through the 8 pack. I can do this on the YZ but it's not as easy because of the snap. In time I'll get more used to he throttle but tonight I found it faster/ easier to just hit and skim them. The suspension is so good you can just get over the rear fender and go. Either way I was able to come out in 2nd gear and seat bounce the double out of the corner and get the table top that follows. It's somewhat technical and one area I was concerned about getting down with less torque, but not after tonight.

The only downside to the YZ I can see so far is the bike is very throttle sensitive. If you don't have good throttle control or get tired and make the mistake of grabbing a handful you may be in for a ride.

Well that's it for now. I'll keep you guys posted as I get more seat time under different track conditions. But for now I'll just say if you have been thinking about it and you can control your right wrists fairly well, go put a deposit down asap. Mine was actually only one of a few in my area. The bike is so fun to ride you won't be sorry. It's a hoot.

I found the more I rode the faster I went and my comfort level improved. I have a lot to learn but for now I'm thrilled with the bike and how quickly I was able to feel pretty comfortable on it.

catch you later guys, Joe

• MidwestRider

Posted September 29, 2005 - 08:04 PM

Joe,

Go back to your 4-stroke you big baby! :banghead:

Before anyone flames me, I'm a CBMX team member with Joe and I'm just givin' him a little ribbing!

I'm excited for him and kinda know what he's going through as I switched from a big bore 4-stroke 2 years ago to a CRF250R. The smaller 4-stroke gave me the confidence to ride more agressively and to try things on the track that I was too scared to on my big bike.

FYI...I'm almost 40 yrs old, 6' 3" tall and weigh in about 220 lbs. Believe it or not the little thumper has done a great job of hauling my big butt around our local MX tracks.

Good thread guys, nice to see a bunch of people sharing ideas and opinions without it turning into a big 'ego' battle.

Can't wait to get back from vacation and see you riding the new blue bike Joe!

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:52 AM

hey troy, you will have to take the yz for a spin when you get back. jp

• Satch0922

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:28 AM

Joe,

I had to adjust my throttle cable to allow for more slack...they are way too tight from the factory and give you that "runaway" feeling at times. Loosen the cable a little and you will be more comfortable.

• bedell99

Posted September 30, 2005 - 01:14 PM

This is just an opinion, but I fell large bore 4-strokes fit a lazier rider better. Its much easier to ride. A 2 stroke I feel you got fight oce in a while and ride the bike much harder. I like that in a 250. You are always riding.

Erik

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.