YZ250 2 stroke converts

93 replies to this topic
  • joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:37 AM

I have been on a 04 CRF450 for the last 2 years. I've had to put money into seals, 2 rear hubs, a rebuild, heli coild drain bolts...I loved the bike but the expenses are killing me. I talked to my engine and suspension guy and he said I should consider the YZ250 for a less expensive for durable ride.

I am 37 and race 250B and +30B and I win some races now and then but I'm not some young up and comer. I did not start until I was 34 though, so I only raced a YZ250F and a CRF450. I had a KDX200 2 stroke for about six months before I went from trails to moto and that's my total 2 stroke experience. Before that I rode street.

I am considering going back to Yamaha. I see the 450's had some hub issues too and the rebuilds are more complicated than 2 strokes. I need a change and I'm considering a YZ250 2 stroke for a few reasons. It's been the best 2 stroke for several years, it's easier to rebuild, it's light weight, and it's less expensive to buy up front.

Any words of wisdom from those of you have had rode both. I know I'll be down on power a bit but it may make me more aggressive having to try harder too.
thanks. Joe

• gchprime

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:44 AM

You are not down on power with a YZ250 per say, but the powerband it much narrower compared to your CRF450. You will have to work a little harder to go as fast on the 2-stroke but it is lite and nimble so that has its advantages. You may even consider an 06 RM250 as it has better power and is more comparable to your CRF450. I rode one this weekend and I am seriously coinsidering a switch back. Very fast motor and the most responsive motor I have ever ridden, 2 or 4-stroke. :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:58 AM

There was a time not to long ago I would have said no friggin way - too much work I am keeping my 4smoke.
After all the money I have spent and seeing the problems that others have had with every brand of 4smoke, valves, cam chains and valve seats I would consider a 2smoke again. It will definitely be cheaper to maintain! :banghead:

I would like to own both actually.......

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:59 AM

thanks, that's interesting. Tony at AAT (my suspension and motor sponsor) mentioned the RM250 also. I always thought they were less reliable but he said not anymore. They are supposed to turn great and has showa suspension, which I like. I will call on a Suzuki too. I want something I can race right out of the box. I would throw on a skid plate and rad. braces and go. Thanks again.

• bedell99

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:04 AM

I did it if that means anything and I'm really happy I did. The bike has 26 hours on it and not one issue. I change the oil and ride. The only thing I added was rad braces and skidplate. I even left the bars alone. The bike stock is great and as a fun factor nothing beats a 250 2 stroke. Ya I probably faster overall on a 450 but there is nothing like railing a berm and having the engine scream. Also the bike jumps way better. I'm really happy I made the switch.

Erik

• grimmy

Posted September 27, 2005 - 07:46 AM

I really like the newer RM250's , they are a great ride, turns good, good suspension, and it dosn't look like people have any problem with the 2004 or newer RM250.

Haven't tried a aluframed yz 250 though, but i used to have a 01 and I have tried 02/03/04's. I would had picked a RM250 over a YZ250 any time. (Unless the 05/06 really kicks ass).

different riders, different opinions. Just wanted to say that the rm250 is a kick ass bike! The RM250 is the only none-yamaha bike i would had bought myself..

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2005 - 08:46 AM

I am considering going back to Yamaha. I see the 450's had some hub issues too and the rebuilds are more complicated than 2 strokes. I need a change and I'm considering a YZ250 2 stroke for a few reasons. It's been the best 2 stroke for several years, it's easier to rebuild, it's light weight, and it's less expensive to buy up front.

Any words of wisdom from those of you have had rode both. I know I'll be down on power a bit but it may make me more aggressive having to try harder too.
thanks. Joe

I don't know of any hub issues with the 450's except for people letting the sprocket bolts loosen, and the rebuilds are so infrequent that the expense isn't that much greater. The comparison in reliability with a CRF is just off the chart.

But, that being said, the YZ250 is, IMO, the best privateer's 250 2-stroke you can get your hands on, and has the widest, most "four-stroke-like power curve of any of them.

You should send a PM to Satch0922. He made the switch, and he's pretty happy with it. I'm thinking of one for my son, but I don't know yet.

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 11:37 AM

Well guys thanks for the support and info. I am excited about a totally new ride, although I'm sure I'll need some adjustment time.

After reading all this and calling all the dealers in a 40 mile radius of here in central Illinois, I had to go with my local dealers one and only 2006 YZ250. They are doing me ok, about $2,760 difference OTD.

No one had an 06 RM yet and the 05's were gone. Some smaller dealers had not even ordered a 2 stroke yet for 2006. So, I pick up the new ride after work today. I will let you know how it goes. I ordered my rad. guards and skid plate, should have them before this weekends race at Casey. I'll let you know from there.

I've read some guys add a fly wheel weight. I will ride it stock and see what I think. Anybody out there felt the need to add a fly wheel wt. If so what size?

Thanks again for the feedback. Joe

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 11:45 AM

oh yeah, as for the hub thing, I did a search here and saw mostly 03 and 04 posts on YZF hubs breaking. On the Honda I replaced the bolts and hubs and kept an eye on them they had not loosened before that ride. I can see where the bolts would weeken over time with all the torque. I guess a guy should just replace them periodically even when there is no sign of trouble. Live and learn.

The other thing I was told about by a shop that works on all brands of bikes is that cranks break on them too often. I do know a fellow racer who had that and it's expensive.

Anyway, I'll try the 250 for a while and just have fun. if I hate it I can sell it later on and go back to the 4 strokes. Half the fun is the new experience. If it's not fun then why do it. I am sure some day I won't have the option of the 2 stroke.

later, JP

• Neysbo

Posted September 27, 2005 - 01:27 PM

Joe

Let us know what you think for sure, I have raced against you a few times this year including Galesburg. I ride a YZ450 and have been strongly pondering the 250 2 stoke for the same reasons.

Good Luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Neysbo

Posted September 27, 2005 - 01:32 PM

Joe

Let us know what you think for sure, I have raced against you a few times this year including Galesburg. I ride a YZ450 and have been strongly pondering the 250 2 stoke for the same reasons.

Good Luck

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 05:49 PM

Hey man, I rode the worst race of my life at Galesburg, what a bummer. The competition was fast too so I came home disappointed in myself. I was real tenative with the mud saturday and never rode here before, along with the bike issues I've had, I just never hung it out. that's weak huh,No excuses, I just did not ride had as I do at home. Whew I feel better now! What is your race #?

Anyway, I made the leap today after work. I picked up the 06 YZ250. I only had time to ride about 10 minutes on natural terrain, but I can tells you it flat rips. It's very responsive off the bottom. Far more than the 05 CR250 I tested. I'll need some seat time and maybe a flywheel wt, but I think in time I'll be up to speed. It's very light and turns well. I had not set the sag yet, just stock suspension settings. It's a little stiff right now but likely just needs a couple hours break in time. I hope to go to the track Thursday and work on throttle in the corners, jumps and whoops too. I'll get back to you guys from there.

Peace Bro's, Joe

• Satch0922

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:14 PM

The YZ250 is a very fun bike. I was on a thumper for 3 years then went back to a 2-smoke ......while I still could. My next will be a thumper....just because. Not because I don't like the 250... I LOVE IT.....just that the thumpers are getting better and better and I am not at all scared of the Yamaha thumper motors blowing up...they are bullet proof.

However....when I sold my thumper and got the 05 YZ250, it was a huge difference...VERY light and nimble. I was looking to put the fun factor back into riding.....a bike that "I" ride instead of the bike riding me.

The motor is one of the best two stroke motors ever....right there with the RM250. BUT...the smokers are less forgiving.....compared to a 450 thumper. You have to have the mind set that your gonna go fast and work the motor. It is not like a hyperactive 125cc two-stroke....don't think that. I think a lot of people think that all two strokes are 12,500rpm screamers like a 125cc and that if it's not on the pipe it's dead....that is not true. The 250 YZ and RM have very good low-mid power and where the YZ pulls through the powerband the RM tends to be a mid-top powerband.

I added a Vforce reed, the R-304 PC long silencer (more over rev) and jetted the bike. As far as the engine that is really all I have done. It has plenty of low-mid and over rev (and I am a 220lb guy).

If you are like me and grew up riding two strokes....now is the time to get one or forever hold your peace. I did and I am glad I did it. There will be plenty of time for thumpin if I am fortunate enough to keep riding.

The 06 YZ250 is a better bike than the 05......hard to believe! :banghead:

BTW...I have over 50 hrs on my bike and the original top end. I may do a piston and rings just as preventative maintanence. :applause:

Ok..I am not getting paid commission from Yamaha so I am shutting up now! :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 27, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Hi Satch, nice looking ride. What kind of left side cover is that. That is one thing I don't care for is that grey stock plastic cover. That and phillips screws instead of 8mm hex head bolts on some stuff. I can always replace them but I wish they came stock. It seems phillips heads don't last long on most stuff. Whatdoes the v-force do for the bike? I was thinking it made it more responsive, but I don't think I need that right now if that's it.

I can tell the power is there right off idle. I have a small natural terrain track at a neighbors where I mainly ride corners, hills and some natural rough whoops and braking bumps. I already found using 3rd gear makes the bike easier to ride where I used 2nd on the 450. The 450 was smoother power delivery but I am enjoying this 250 snap.

Oh yeah, NEYS #723, I know now. I plan to hit casey and South Fork over the next couple saturdays. Stop by and see us at the Cristian Brother tent if you are there.

small plug guys but we have a website worth checking out at www.cbmxracing.com.

thanks again for the tips, I'm sure I'll have some questions for you Satch as I get more time on the bike.
peace,
joe
Like you I figured it's about having fun and I can always go back to the 450 later, but the reverse may not be true. I'm 185lb and train a lot so the 450 was not really too heavy, I loved the ride, just not the expenses that were adding up to keep it going. But the light weight of the YZ is really nice now that I've been able to ride it.

I may make some mods over the winter but for the next few weeks I hope to ride a ton and race a few to get up to speed and see what I need, if anything.

• dunecj2a

Posted September 27, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Hey man, I rode the worst race of my life at Galesburg, what a bummer. The competition was fast too so I came home disappointed in myself. I was real tenative with the mud saturday and never rode here before, along with the bike issues I've had, I just never hung it out. that's weak huh,No excuses, I just did not ride had as I do at home. Whew I feel better now! What is your race #?

Anyway, I made the leap today after work. I picked up the 06 YZ250. I only had time to ride about 10 minutes on natural terrain, but I can tells you it flat rips. It's very responsive off the bottom. Far more than the 05 CR250 I tested. I'll need some seat time and maybe a flywheel wt, but I think in time I'll be up to speed. It's very light and turns well. I had not set the sag yet, just stock suspension settings. It's a little stiff right now but likely just needs a couple hours break in time. I hope to go to the track Thursday and work on throttle in the corners, jumps and whoops too. I'll get back to you guys from there.

Peace Bro's, Joe

Let us know whats up Fri AM Joe. I've been throwin around the same idea. I've got an 04 450 and have been thinkin about goin back to a 250. The only thing holdin me back is that I go to the dunes alot and that 450 is awsome out there. Let us know how you liked the 06......... :banghead:

• joe346cbmx

Posted September 28, 2005 - 05:38 AM

Ok I'll get with you guys after I ride it some more, if the weather cooperates, Friday. I have to say I'm happy and surprized to see I was not alone in this thought process. I wondered if I would get some criticism for posting this here on a 4 stroke forum but I took a chance and you guys were great. the bottom line is we are all bike enthusiasts. Thanks. Joe

• Neysbo

Posted September 28, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Joe,

yes NEYS 723 is me

I raced South fork couple times earlier this year. Mainly my two boys race , one is on 85 and one on a 65. I decided to try Galesburg and felt the same way as you. I did not even ride second moto as I tweaked my ankle.

great to hear you got the bike and all sounds good so far. I liked the 450 but have never felt 100% comfortable on it so leaning very hard to get YZ250 2 stroke. I rode 2 strokes when I was younger and think I would be more comfortable on one. I am at the age where it needs to be all for fun.

I think we are planning for South Fork the weekend of Oct 8 and 9 so I have seen your tent before and will look you up.

David

• SM421

Posted September 28, 2005 - 02:40 PM

I though I was a YZ250 guy for life but in 2003 I switched to a CRF450. Apparently I became very acclimated to the 4-stroke because I recently got the bright idea that I wanted to go back to a 2-stroke. So, I bought a used '03 YZ250 and hung on to the CRF. I had a terrable time adjusting to the 2-stoke again. I made it a point not to ride my CRF for months while I was trying to adjust but I never got the same warm and fuzzy feeling for the 2-stroke that I once had.

I ended up trading the '03 YZ250 and $800 for an '04 YZ450F (which I love) and I sold the Honda. I'll stick with the 4-stroke from now on!

Good luck with the conversion.

• dunecj2a

Posted September 28, 2005 - 02:55 PM

Ok I'll get with you guys after I ride it some more, if the weather cooperates, Friday. I have to say I'm happy and surprized to see I was not alone in this thought process. I wondered if I would get some criticism for posting this here on a 4 stroke forum but I took a chance and you guys were great. the bottom line is we are all bike enthusiasts. Thanks. Joe

I wouldnt worry about that. Its awsome to find out what other people think. If I could sell my 04 450 easily I would really look at the new YZ250. The only thing holdin me back is those damn dunes and the fact I probably couldn't get anything for my 04 :banghead:

• dunecj2a

Posted September 28, 2005 - 03:02 PM

I though I was a YZ250 guy for life but in 2003 I switched to a CRF450. Apparently I became very acclimated to the 4-stroke because I recently got the bright idea that I wanted to go back to a 2-stroke. So, I bought a used '03 YZ250 and hung on to the CRF. I had a terrable time adjusting to the 2-stoke again. I made it a point not to ride my CRF for months while I was trying to adjust but I never got the same warm and fuzzy feeling for the 2-stroke that I once had.

I ended up trading the '03 YZ250 and $800 for an '04 YZ450F (which I love) and I sold the Honda. I'll stick with the 4-stroke from now on!

Good luck with the conversion.

What do you like about the 450 so much more than the 250? I have an 04 450 and I really like it, but I have been really thinkin about gettin on the new YZ250. I've been off a smoker now for over a year but keep kickin around the idea of gettin one. What have you noticed as being the biggest difference from your 03?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.