Clutch question

9 replies to this topic
  • OldThumperLover

Posted September 26, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Its an XL, but hey.

My clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost the whole way out. Shouldn't it start engaging sooner, say about when the lever is about halfway out? I have tried adjusting the cable and freeplay and it doesn't seem to affect it. And its not slipping at all.

Is this normal or a sign of worn discs maybe? Is there an internal adjustment? Any help is appreciated.

• TimBrp

Posted September 26, 2005 - 08:32 AM

The clutch is on it's way out. I'd replace it before it just goes out on you. My friend has been riding an xr250 like that for a year and it hasn't gone yet. However, a 650 will eat a clutch much quicker.

• OldThumperLover

Posted September 26, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Tim

• TimBrp

Posted September 26, 2005 - 10:26 AM

No problem. Make sure when you get a new one you have proper tension. Adjust the tension in the lower adjuster and make fine tuning adjustments at the perch. Make sure you have enough slack in the clutch to hold a nickel between the lever and perch opening, about 1/8".

• OldThumperLover

Posted September 26, 2005 - 10:53 AM

Will do.

Is this a decent kit and price? Any recommendations?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRsteve

Posted September 26, 2005 - 11:10 AM

I haven't used any but OEM, but I can tell you the kit in the link is a lot cheaper than Honda parts. I'm replacing mine in my 650L and it cost about $120 for plates and a gasket. I just like OEM parts, so it's worth it to me.

• TimBrp

Posted September 26, 2005 - 11:45 AM

Depending on what you do I'd go with a Heavy duty clutch. I like the Barnett Dirt diggers WITH Xr's only HD springs. The XR's only springs are heavy duty but don't have that aggressive pull and release like barnetts do. The barnett springs tend to give armpump quick. Springs are about 17.95 and the barnett kit is around $100 or so. The problem with these bikes really isn't the plates but the springs. They wear to fast, IMO. HD springs are a must.

• OldThumperLover

Posted September 26, 2005 - 12:36 PM

I looked at OEM prices. It would cost more for the 7 discs than it would for aftermarket discs, plates, and springs. The bike is an 84 XL600R and I can't find a match for the Barnett kit. :applause:

I might have to try the EBC kit I posted a link to if there aren't any other options.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 26, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Try Rocky Mountain - it looks like they would run about 63.00 for ebc kit springs included.

• rockydrxrvr

Posted September 26, 2005 - 09:41 PM

:applause: My 1993 XR650l with 3000miles on it did the same thing. Put new plates and friction disc and still does it, but improved by about a third. Therefore, you boys have enlightened me to the fact that it must be the springs. The way the lever arm goes in the case, it's almost impossible to put that piece in wrong,,,,almost thought someone left something out to make the push rod shorter. I'm learning thanks to you guys :banghead:

Related Content

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.