Gas Tank Woes-YZ426F

14 replies to this topic
  • King_Air

Posted September 25, 2005 - 04:12 PM

All right I pull back to the pits after the last moto of the day, shut down and notice a strong fuel odor. Get off the bike and notice fuel dripping rapidly from the tank area onto the hot engine. A quick inspection of fuel lines, carb, etc. revels nothing. Pull the seat and lo and behold the tanks is cracked near the front of the seat on the left lower corner Never had this happen and all of my buddies were like me Anyway I am now in need of a new fuel tank. Does any body have any suggestions where to find an OEM or same capicity replacement? Thanks

• Satch0922

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:00 PM

actually the 426's had a reputation of cracking tanks in the same area yours is leaking (by the tank/subframe mounting area).

Go with a Clarke or get an OE on ebay. But....a used one may be close to cracking as well.

• matt116

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:05 PM

I had my tank crack on the right side, fortunately I have a plastic welder.

• matt116

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Just noticed you live in Texas what part?
Maybe I can help

• King_Air

Posted September 26, 2005 - 04:34 AM

Hey Matt116,

Did the plastic welding repair work. I may have access to one.

Thanks

• matt116

Posted September 26, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Yea, I've got about 3 months on my fix and it's right where my knee rubs the tank.
I must have looked at stach0922 post when I posted about living in TX. :banghead:

• King_Air

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:57 AM

Thanks Matt and to all of the other replies. This place is always helpful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBRIDLE

Posted October 17, 2005 - 01:05 PM

Today I Took A Heat Gun To Prepare My Yz426f Plastic Gas Tank For An Epoxy Repair And Discovered If Heated Sufficiently The Plastic Will Become Pliable. I Took A Flat Head Screwdriver And "pulled" Some Plastic Over The 2 Cracks At The Bottom Of The Tank. I Then Waited A Bit For It To Cool Then Filled Her Up And Voila....no Leaks. I Haven't Ridden Yet So Don't Know How It Will Hold Up. I've Been Told Not Bother Trying To Fix These Tanks But If This Works It'll Save Almost $200. Good Luck .....paul

• Aussie Made

Posted October 17, 2005 - 07:02 PM

A few people here in Australia had the same problem ( cracking under the seat there the seat hooks into) and ended up talking to the local dealers saying that Yamaha have been replacing them for free.

Dealer usually doesn't know but those that got new tanks made the dealer call Yamaha Co. and have been getting told that they will replace them free of charge.

Worth putting some pressure on the local dealer for a new tank.

• bxrjim

Posted October 18, 2005 - 02:56 PM

There are a couple on e-bay right now, just punch in yz426f.

• PLrider

Posted October 18, 2005 - 04:16 PM

eBay.

• phat_450f

Posted October 19, 2005 - 02:50 PM

thats crazy when I had my 2000 yz426 i had a crack right at the threads where the gas cap goes....the scary thing about it was it sat while this happened. I put her to bed one night then 2 weeks later woke her up and she was leaking....

• jocolo

Posted October 30, 2005 - 07:14 PM

I got one make me a reasonable offer

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Shawn_Mc

Posted October 31, 2005 - 03:14 PM

Id bet more of those tanks cracked than not. Mine and everybody I knew that had a 426 had the tank crack. The Clark is a decent tank and the color is dead nuts perfect. I wouldnt buy another OEM tank, it'll just crack too eventually...

• Craig E

Posted November 02, 2005 - 10:54 AM

This is realy common with the YZ426F. When I bought mine cheap it had a couple of cracks in the tank. It had been poly welded but the poly welder did a crap job and the poly that was used was able to be peeled out by hand. Once I had done this I got my soldering iron and ran a groove down the cracks, I then managed to find some similar plastic and used the soldering iron to melt into and all around the grooves. No more leaks. The sad thing about these tanks is that they are porous and left with fuel in for long periods can work its way through the tank anyway and discolour them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.