Cam wearing down rocker (XR600)

6 replies to this topic
  • Fredda

Posted September 25, 2005 - 10:05 AM

My HotCam on my XR600 are wearing down the rockers. I have no idea of why! It seams like the cam dont deliver any/to little lubricant (oil) throught the wholes in the knockles.

• irondude

Posted September 25, 2005 - 10:17 AM

no-
its the additonal time the cam is in contact with the rocker. more contact means more performance--but also more wear.

some guys will hard weld the contact points on the rockers so they can last longer.

anyway--its not your 'hot cam' product---its just systematic of a performance oriented cam.

• Fredda

Posted September 25, 2005 - 10:36 AM

I can understand that there will be more wear now compared to a stockcam, but this happend a bit to fast (1000km). But they also says that there would be no problem with stock rockers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted September 25, 2005 - 11:50 AM

I have read many comments in the past concerning this ... supposedly the hardness of the Hotcam is incompatible with the Honda followers ... :banghead:

• XRMANU

Posted September 25, 2005 - 12:03 PM

Faulty oilpump? (low pressure)

• FOUR STOKED

Posted September 25, 2005 - 08:20 PM

Does Hot Cam recomend installing new followers with the new camshaft? When it wears past the heat treated part of the contact patch it is outta there. I know that from when I used to bracket race cars at the local dragstrip. Readjusting the lash is pointless because it is into the soft metal. That said, Irondude is right on. The aftermarket camshafts with higher lifts and durations never lasted as long as stock in cars either.

• Supplicate

Posted September 25, 2005 - 08:25 PM

I have read many comments in the past concerning this ... supposedly the hardness of the Hotcam is incompatible with the Honda followers ... :banghead:

Thats generally the reason that things accelerate wear.

If you look at many different industrial settings, not only the motorcycle world, many will use hard facing rod (as mentioned above) and try to make things closer to similar hardness for equal wear. But if things get too hard, the oposite will happen, your cam will wear faster then the rocker.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.