Throttle stop, remove or just trim?

6 replies to this topic
  • flyingboy

Posted March 23, 2001 - 05:58 AM

I had my deal remove the throttle stop completely from my new 426. Should it be removed or just trimmed down a bit? What's the best trimmed length?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 23, 2001 - 06:13 AM

That is the question.

I hacked the crap out of mine. I used a pair of linesman pliars and ended up cutting off 15mm. It works fine and no problems. I have heard of others removing theirs and having no problems. it is unclear to me as well. They say if you remove it you can confuse the throttle positionong sensor. i do not know if that is true or not. The majority trims it.

• mcarp

Posted March 23, 2001 - 07:11 AM

Trim it or buy an '01 YZ throttle stop. Removing not only *may* (not sure) confuse the TPS, but the slide and needle will open too far and really screw up your WOT jetting.

Also, the stop needs to be there to limit the movement on the slide, hammering against the carb body can't be good.

There's a GOOD REASON why the YZ also has a throttle stop! The WR's is only longer so that it can pass US noise/emissions requirements.

Some other folks have removed and "had no problems", but IMHO that's a cracked slide and rebuild waiting to happen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott

Posted March 23, 2001 - 09:40 AM

Mine is completely removed and have seen NO problem with TPS confusion or any WOT problems.

I have, however, replaced my carb slide 2x! I'm not sure it was due to the stop being removed, but it would make sense if that was the culprit.

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

• Bill

Posted March 23, 2001 - 04:59 PM

It's a very simple operation. RRemove the two bolts holding the coil on and flip it behind the frame. Then take the one bolt out of the cable cover. Then use an allen wrench to remove the screw/stop. Trim it to about a millimeter or two oversize and finish to length with a file. It should take lees than an hour, if you take your time.

The overall length should be 33mm's and 24mm's when trimmed.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Taffy

Posted March 24, 2001 - 01:22 AM

so what did man do before he had throttle stops?

just remove the f****** thing & ride the bike!

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 24, 2001 - 01:20 PM

Now Taffy, that's funny! :) :D :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.