No grease , tell me its not true...

12 replies to this topic
  • dman450f

Posted September 24, 2005 - 06:24 PM

is it true that yamaha sends these bikes out with almost no grease in some of the bearings?? :banghead:

• simon@vic

Posted September 24, 2005 - 06:52 PM

all companies do!!!

even the nice sealed replacement wheel bearings you get have next to no grease in them most of the time. you need to pop up the seal and add grease.....

also, your front wheel bearings are not sealed at all if they are like the yz's and my 04s.

• tony1970

Posted September 24, 2005 - 06:54 PM

I took mine apart just in case and it had plenty of grease. I wiped out their grease and used my own waterproof grease. Would I do it again? Yes! After I bought my new XR400 a few years ago took it on a wet winter ride and a few days later had to kick the bars to get them to move :lol: and then replace the headset bearings. :banghead: So be on the safe side and do it. :applause:

• clark4131

Posted September 24, 2005 - 06:55 PM

The swingarm bearings are not packed in traditional grease, but rather a "maintenance free" teflon-like casing. Whether or not these will hold remains to be seen. Some folks tend to think its a big ploy by Yamaha so your bike will break and you'll have to take it into the shop for more $$$. As such, some have set to tearing everything down, removing the needle bearings from the packing and reinstalling the whole thing with waterproof grease. I haven't had any issues yet, but I only have around 700 miles on the bike. My head bearing is also fine without me doing anything to it. Perhaps I'll take things apart this winter and take a look, but I'm not too concerned with what I'll find...SC

• crooks420

Posted September 24, 2005 - 08:42 PM

I decided to grease up the swing arm on my 05 WRF 450 with only 230 miles just last week. The reason being that I have done several 2-3 foot deep stream crossings up in Big Bear and have found water in my Airbox drain tube (the clear "cap" on the bottom of the airbox). I have to say Yamaha made swing-arm removal straight forward and relatively simple. There was grease ON the bearings, but nothing between...... leaving room for water. Although I only found drops of water inside the motor case pivot, I did find three seals which had the sealing lip folded inwards.... not good. I spent a leisurely 5 hours doing this (including siliconing the chain rub-block and rear brake hose clamp/guides.... allowing the silicone to tack for an hour before mounting) and making sure to pack plenty O grease on all bearings. Next will be the steering head bearings and maybe the wheel bearings. Better yet, I may just get custom lubed bearings from www.californiabearing.com ; seems they provide top quality bearings with the right grease/ lubricant.
I have also found minimal grease on my 05 Kawasaki KLR 650.... so it seems worth it to check these things out... peace of mind, you know. I also found very minimal corrosion on the linkage shafts/bolts and inside the rear wheel axle. For the axle, I used silicone to "plug" the ends... sprayed a little WD40 inside before sealing. I'll see how this works out.

Jesse

• RCannon

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:25 AM

I think the 5 hours will pay off bigtime in how long your bearings last. I wonder if the factories use no grease because cleanup is such a pain???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dman450f

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:36 AM

I think the 5 hours will pay off bigtime in how long your bearings last. I wonder if the factories use no grease because cleanup is such a pain???

My first thought was that with the my bike is lighter than yours game going on , they are shaving weight everywhere , a pound here or there is alot now . maybe they save a pound without filling the bearings .... :banghead: just my opinion...see ya ...DC...

• holyroller1

Posted September 25, 2005 - 10:54 AM

I just got an 06 wr450 and it had PLENTY of grease. More than I have ever seen come from the factory.

On the other hand my 02 YZ was bone dry, basically.

• RCannon

Posted September 25, 2005 - 04:05 PM

The weight idea is not a bad one. I wonder if they would .......

I suppose so. Look at soem of the oem tires.

• Dodjy

Posted September 25, 2005 - 05:40 PM

I agree with Dman, it's easier to save a few grams on greese than take more off the engine.

• roostboy wr250f

Posted September 25, 2005 - 05:51 PM

My first thought was that with the my bike is lighter than yours game going on , they are shaving weight everywhere , a pound here or there is alot now . maybe they save a pound without filling the bearings .... :banghead: just my opinion...see ya ...DC...

They dont use grease to save money. Figure if it took 1 tub of grease per bike to grease all of the bearings a tub of quality waterproof grease costing from probably $5-12 and multiply that by the number of bikes produced each year. A little bit of grease adds up.

• 96warrior

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Mine didn't have no grease at all, but not much. Regreasing the bike, and re-oiling the air filter is a good idea.

Some dealers like casscity yamaha would do it for free if asked when you buy the bike new. A good dealer will make sure the bike is greased. :banghead:

• hankdog

Posted September 26, 2005 - 07:02 AM

I spent a few years in the bicycle industry and all the bearings used in assembly come pre-greased from their original manufacturer. I don't remember any additional grease being applied upon assembly...it's simply too messy and time consuming on the production line. Some bearings came well lubed, some didn't. I suspect the motorcycle industry is similar - it's not a commie plot, just the reality of the manufacturing world. Sounds like a good winter project - go through the critical bearings and make sure they have plenty of lube of the right type.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.