Suggestions sought-new 05 WR450 running lean

2 replies to this topic
  • Alex_1

Posted September 24, 2005 - 12:52 PM

New member and back to dirt after a long while.

I just got a new 2005 WR450F. Right at the dealer I noticed that the bike is running way lean, more than I expected. During my first ride at Hollister OHV park in CA I confirmed that it does run lean although much less so when the bike warms up. At the beginning I had to fiddle with choke and idle screw (?) to prevent the bike from stumbling.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to do to fix this. I'm not looking for all-out performance mods as I want to keep the bike mostly stock, at least for now.

I looked at this http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=230021
but, frankly, it seems more than I want to do.

TIA

Alex

PS. I did remove the hrottle stop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted September 24, 2005 - 03:01 PM

If you removed the throttle stop, did you replace it with the YZ version? If not, you run the risk of locking your throttle open and sending your bike and yourself into hyperspace...and not the good Han Solo kind. Also, if you've done the throttle stop, then you need to cut the grey wire as well, as that allows the bike's timing to compensate for the increased fuel.

With that out of the way, consult Indy450's jetting chart and it will get you damn near perfect based on your temps and elevation. If you don't want to buy the JD Jetting kit with extra needle, then at the the very least, you'll want to invest in an '04 needle as the '05 is not adjustable. And there you have it, stock, but not totally stock...SC

• Desracer

Posted September 24, 2005 - 07:37 PM

My 05 I went up one size on the main and pilot just to get it to run. It's very lean out of the box. The needle is a must, the 05 stocker is not good. I might have a JD blue needle to sell, if you need one.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.