Which Sparky for 2000 YZ 426

9 replies to this topic
  • barnie b

Posted September 24, 2005 - 07:51 AM

What's up guys & Gals?? New to the forum because I retired my 2 smoker for a 2000 yz 426. Think I got a good deal, bike looks brand new with very few hours for $1900. Anyways the bike is all stock and I need to know which sparky works best with this bike. I ride trails only in Michigan for the past 25 years and just starting to learn about this "Thumper" stuff. Any help? Thanks.

• Satch0922

Posted September 24, 2005 - 08:01 AM

Also check these out for info on your bike that will make it MUCH better:

Motoman393's Tech Articles

Auto Decompression Cam Mod for the 426

• silverlakerider

Posted September 25, 2005 - 07:38 AM

I also have a 2000 YZF and absolutely love the DR. D Exhaust system I inst. last summer. The header pipe is higher so you don't have to take it off to clean/change your oil filter. It's a low decibal level (I can't remember how low) and it has a spark arrestor. It "hits" very similar to the stock pipe. Just a little more tame on the low end. When I bought the bike it had a White Bros. E-series Exhaust on it. What a piece of feces! The bike was sluggish, you have to change the baffles, and now you have to thread 4" titanium screws into a 1/4" aluminum flange that's been subject to hot exhaust temp's. You do the math. My two cents worth. :banghead:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 25, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I'll 2nd what Satch says - NGK CR8e. A little difficult to change the 1st time you do it - but I only change my plug once or twice a year. Good price for the bike - Welcome to the thumper world. Any problems/questions you may have, you will find the answer here!

Keep the oil changed and the air filter clean and you shouldn't have any problems. My 426 is all stock and I haven't had one issue. :banghead:

• barnie b

Posted September 25, 2005 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses!! To make my question clearer,,,,, I was referring to a Spark Arrestor (thanks for the plug info thou) Should I just get a Spark Arrestor for the stock pipe or is a whole exhaust system recommened? And which one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teamtoxic

Posted September 25, 2005 - 07:38 PM

I had a White Bros. E-Series exhaust on my '00 426 and was quite happy with it. Silverlake's concerns are justified as I ran into some issues with the threads getting crossed up from time to time. I ended up having to run a tap through to clean up the threads at least a few times. Other than that, I was very happy with its performance and sound.

Pro Moto Billet sells an end piece that can be riveted to the stock exhaust system to get you USFD approval. It usually runs around $125 and takes about 20-30 minutes to install. I picked one of these up off Ebay for $75 brand new (good deal to me) and have been using it on my YZ450. It's nothing special, no power gains or anything but it's a cheaper way to get forestry approval than buying a new exhaust. If I wasn't in school right now and could afford to, I'd throw the money down on a Dr D. exhaust.

For an older bike and if your mainly trail riding, it may be worth saving the cash and going with the Pro Moto piece. If you go that route, you'll probably want to repack your stock exhaust while you have it apart.

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 26, 2005 - 03:06 AM

There are several aftermarket spark arrestor end caps for sale, that's probably the least expensive way to go. As mentioned above Pro Moto Billet makes one, Dr. D makes one as well. I'm sure there are others. Not sure where you ride, but if you have to quiet it down from the stock level then the FMF-Q has a stellar reputation for a very quiet exhaust with good power for the noise level.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 26, 2005 - 12:40 PM

Two words, one answer- Thunder Alley

Link- click here

• beasleys

Posted September 26, 2005 - 02:46 PM

Has anyone used this Thunder Alley. If so what is their approx dB rating w/ a spark arrestor :banghead:

• barnie b

Posted September 29, 2005 - 04:02 AM

Thanks everyone!!! :banghead:

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.