Smog Block Off result?

3 replies to this topic
  • klmmicro

Posted September 23, 2005 - 08:29 PM

This is a newbie question, but I have to ask. Used search and found that everyone that installs or has the smog block off kit (I have the IMS kit) is rejetting at the same time. Is it necessary to rejet the carb if I remove the smog? I guess I am asking if by removing the smog, will it richen the bike up and help it to run cooler until I can rejet?

• Naru

Posted September 23, 2005 - 11:08 PM

No, at least not in the case of my bike and most other people that I have talked to. At most with the smog stuff removed, the bike backfired less on deceleration and lost about 2 lbs. But there aren't any huge gains to be had like with uncorking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott V

Posted September 24, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I did the block off first. Then the rejet.
I like to feel the difference between
changing things around.
On the jetting, I went with a 52 pilot
because the 55 was back ordered.
No need for a 55 with my setup.

The needle is really where it needs work.
.022 totally got rid of the cold bloodiness
and it's really pretty smooth now. (for a thumper)

• klmmicro

Posted September 24, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I just got back from the test ride after removing all the smog stuff. It does keep the popping down! It was not a big deal to do the actual work. I will be rejetting the bike in the next week, though I think that will take a little more work to complete.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.