non-chain anti-theft suggestions needed for non-keyed street legal XR650R in SD

12 replies to this topic
  • carlsonjustin

Posted September 23, 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hello all,

I just bought a street legat XR650R that I’d like not to get stolen.

Does anyone have any non-chain, I’ll buy one tomorrow, non-key options to keep someone from stealing the bike?

The chains I'm looking at are:

http://www.kryptonit...icleFind@Public

New York Chain

New York Fahgettaboudit

http://www.motrax.co.../chaincover.htm

Hexagon with Shakle

Onguard has the

Mastiff

Beast

Thanks for your feedback

Enjoy,

Justin

• cholwerk

Posted September 23, 2005 - 10:19 PM

Installing a key is easy, search the forum and you will see explanations.

That said keep a couple things in mind.

1. If they want it they will get it. Period.
2. They may not be able to start it (Kicking is hard work if you are a Crackhead).
3. Insurance is your friend.

I have a key and use Alarmed disk locks. The alarm only helps if the bike is parked near someone who cares.
Charles

• Naru

Posted September 24, 2005 - 12:17 AM

As a long time resident of SD, I'd say that if your going to take it around town, have fun and ride it like you stole it because someone else likely will be sometime in the future. I won't even store my dirt bikes (XR650R's included) in my garage; I keep them in a locked shipping container out in the desert. Bike theft here is a way of life, so just carry insurance and assume the worst every morning you leave for work. My CBR F4 got lifted from in front of my house when I came home for lunch a year ago at 1 PM in the afternoon. One friend recently had his new CBR 1000RR lifted the same day he purchased it new from a dealer, out of the gated parking lot of his employer. Another had to stop riding because he couldn't get theft insurance after he had 4 bikes lifted in a year and a half.

That being said, probably your best bet is a chain / disk lock combo that Xena offers. The chain is essentially the same as Kryptonite's New York chain, but welded to each end is a setup that lets you attach their disk lock with 110 DB integrated alarm. The benefit of this is that it works just as well as the New York Chain / lock combo from Kryptonite, but A. it has a motion alarm, and B. The lock is a disk lock, so when you leave you can take the lock with you and use it when you park your bike. This is the setup I would have ran if it was available when I needed protection; instead, I just went with two New York chains and a New York lock and haven't had any problems (this purchase being made after the my CBR was stolen :applause: ).

Oh yeah, drop me a line if you ever want to go for a ride. :banghead:

• carlsonjustin

Posted September 24, 2005 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I put your suggestion in teh summary which I wrote in the general section.

I'm definitely give you a shout soon about riding. I'll get the bike all insured today and register it on MOnday!

Justin

• Naru

Posted September 24, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Cool. I spend most of my time out in Ocotillo Wells on the 450, but do a DS ride on occasion. :banghead:

• hotrod32

Posted September 24, 2005 - 03:27 PM

How about one of those "U" shapped bicycle locks? Throught the swingarm and rear wheel would slow down a crook.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRKING

Posted September 24, 2005 - 04:03 PM

As a long time resident of SD, I'd say that if your going to take it around town, have fun and ride it like you stole it because someone else likely will be sometime in the future. I won't even store my dirt bikes (XR650R's included) in my garage; I keep them in a locked shipping container out in the desert. Bike theft here is a way of life, so just carry insurance and assume the worst every morning you leave for work. My CBR F4 got lifted from in front of my house when I came home for lunch a year ago at 1 PM in the afternoon. One friend recently had his new CBR 1000RR lifted the same day he purchased it new from a dealer, out of the gated parking lot of his employer. Another had to stop riding because he couldn't get theft insurance after he had 4 bikes lifted in a year and a half.

That being said, probably your best bet is a chain / disk lock combo that Xena offers. The chain is essentially the same as Kryptonite's New York chain, but welded to each end is a setup that lets you attach their disk lock with 110 DB integrated alarm. The benefit of this is that it works just as well as the New York Chain / lock combo from Kryptonite, but A. it has a motion alarm, and B. The lock is a disk lock, so when you leave you can take the lock with you and use it when you park your bike. This is the setup I would have ran if it was available when I needed protection; instead, I just went with two New York chains and a New York lock and haven't had any problems (this purchase being made after the my CBR was stolen :applause: ).

Oh yeah, drop me a line if you ever want to go for a ride. :banghead:

The bikes that you said have been stolen, do you have any idea how? Did they have any anti-theft locks? I'm just wondering because I use front and rear disc brake locks. When you say lift, do you mean lifted into the back of a truck or just stolen?

• justicedone

Posted September 24, 2005 - 09:00 PM

A very common and quick way thieves steal sportbikes and our beloved heavier dirtbikes is this...

4 guys, and 2-2x4's

insert through wheels and lift into back of the crackhead whos drivings truck.

hope your new bike and mines never nabbed...

• Naru

Posted September 24, 2005 - 11:40 PM

The bikes that you said have been stolen, do you have any idea how? Did they have any anti-theft locks?

The CBR 1K and a couple of the other bikes had them. Non-alarmed though.

When you say lift, do you mean lifted into the back of a truck or just stolen?

I use the slang term 'lifted', because that's how most bikes are stolen around here. Sure, the occasional crackhead might try his hand with a screwdriver and wire snips. But most of the guys that do this as their 9 to 5 substitute just get 2-4 guys and a van. They back it up and open the rear doors so that people walking by have their view obscured. 15 seconds later, they're gone. They don't usually use trucks, because a street bike sitting on it's side in the bed it a pretty good tip-off to their intentions.

The best ways to stop your bike from getting stolen is:
1. Run a heavy duty chain through the frame when it's parked.
2. Only use the bike for pleasure riding with the longest stops being at gas stations and 7-11's. Stopping to go shopping or see a movie is a no-no.
3. Avoid malls and other areas with large parking lots.
4. If your going to park it for extended periods outside, don't leave it in the same spot for more than a couple of nights. While the bike might be on someone's christmas list from a previous spotting, to them the chances of you having taken it for a ride or gone on a road trip are just as likely as having moved it, meaning they will probably just move on.
5. Cover your bike in public places whenever possible. The guy that first said "Out of sight, out of mind" wasn't lying. It also works well to keep John Dope from seeing if he can touch the ground on a full size dirt bike.

• Naru

Posted September 24, 2005 - 11:49 PM

I'm just wondering because I use front and rear disc brake locks.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but isn't that kind of redundant? :banghead:

• zx7rye

Posted September 25, 2005 - 03:36 PM

Justin,

I just purchsed the Beast (the 12mm as it was their longest model). It should be here in a couple days... I'll get a quality review out when I get it. I've heard it is on par with the kryptonite but the locks are better. Nothing is gonna stop a lift and grab but the chain to an immovable object. It is a major delay in theft and not what they want to see. I did live in SD for a couple years and know how those thieving bitches operate. Theft was pretty bad there. A fairly common practice around here (Mass) is to use freon on the metal pieces and hammering the chain for it to snap. Sucks. I've had quite a few friends lose skiing/boarding equipment this way too.

Ryan

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 25, 2005 - 06:18 PM

the key lock is good and easy to install but the downside of it is that it can easily be pushed where as my 650l has the handle bar lock.....just love it! i really dont know what u could do with that.

• zx7rye

Posted September 28, 2005 - 03:21 PM

Justin,

I just purchsed the Beast (the 12mm as it was their longest model). It should be here in a couple days... I'll get a quality review out when I get it. I've heard it is on par with the kryptonite but the locks are better. Nothing is gonna stop a lift and grab but the chain to an immovable object. It is a major delay in theft and not what they want to see. I did live in SD for a couple years and know how those thieving bitches operate. Theft was pretty bad there. A fairly common practice around here (Mass) is to use freon on the metal pieces and hammering the chain for it to snap. Sucks. I've had quite a few friends lose skiing/boarding equipment this way too.

Ryan

Got the chain and it is as described...beefy. The links are about thick and the lock is grade A. I see this being a big diversion for a thief. Nothings foolproof but I have a better sense of security with this thing.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.