Noice Level what can the cops do?

13 replies to this topic
  • 450_rider

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hey i have been riding out on some local back trails on Government land for a while this old man keeps trying to phone the cops on me i put a FMF Ti-4 on would the powerbomb header lower the noise on my yz450f?

• freekstyle

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:17 PM

I am just curious about the calling the cops thing. Is this a legal riding area?

• 450_rider

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Yeah its open to the public its out in the middle of no where i live in a very rurual area people ride there horses, mtn bikes everthing out there my buddies got little trail bikes lots of people ride out there except for the fact that iam the only one thats loud

• 207racerface

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:35 PM

maybe.. these dude that live by me, they were ridin their quads out behind there house and the cops came so they ran and well of course the cops caught them but they got arrested and they impounded there quads and yea it was crazy.... !!!! there were like 8 cops and a plane and damn it was pretty awesome. :banghead:

• freekstyle

Posted September 22, 2005 - 08:22 PM

Glad to hear your riding legally, I work with some guys (quad dudes, not trying to start anything, just making the point) that ride an Gov land that is conservation or only open to mountain bikes and horses. There allways telling me how they are getting the cops called on them or getting yelled at by people on the trails. I keep telling them "This is why we have noise issues and why people are taking away our riding areas, they think we are all a bunch of jackasses like you." Its too hard to catch a rider in the act, so they have resorted to pushing the bikes to be quit enough so they cant hear them.

Sorry for the rant, I just had one of the conversations today and I am still a little pissed.

As for the situation at hand, Its good of you to care about the noise level of your bike, your never know how much complaining this old guy will do. Unfortunately,this is how people should be thinking when it comes to sound and open riding areas. The FMF Ti-4 you have should keep you around 98 db, yea its not quiet but it isn't stupid loud either, I don't think the power bomb would have any effect on sound level, but I don't really feel that I and qualified to give you anything more than this, my oppinion.

Once again sorry for the rant, just had to get it off my chest.

• cnfowler

Posted September 22, 2005 - 08:41 PM

First off, you newbies need to type in complete sentences. Use punctuation-it's much easier to read your posts if you do.

Now, with me being a State Trooper if you are riding in a place that is 100% legal to be riding, I don't see how they can run anyone off. And as far as a loud pipe, the only way that they can prove that the pipe was too loud would be to have a decibel reader and I've yet to meet a cop that carries one!!!! I'm sure they'll hassle you and tell you lies about what they can do to you (a lot of cops are on power trips, especially when dealing with younger people), but whatever action they take, ie. tickets, arrest, etc., they'll have to prove it when you take their ass to court!

• ride yzf all the way

Posted September 23, 2005 - 04:38 AM

the cops will tell you that you cant ride and give you a warning i do the same they told me if i do it again they will reposive my bike and give me a tickets its happen to my freind

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Don't count on the Powerbomb doing anything for quieting the bike. The Ti 4 will be louder than your stock exhaust.....I'm assuming that's what's on the bike now?

If quiet is the route you want (sounds like this is the route you SHOULD go) the FMF Q is great, as is the E2 from WB.

Don't muck up your areas with a loud bike, I just had another area locked down near me. IT SUCKS. Mountain biking and horses aren't fun compared to moto, but that'll be your only option if your areas close.

• Butta

Posted September 23, 2005 - 01:58 PM

If you know who the guy is that keeps calling the cops, why don't you go to him, meet him, and develop some sort of raport with him. If he sees that you care to NOT disrupt civility, but that you are also going to ride, there might be a common ground you can meet him on (hours of riding, etc). If he's met with you personally, and then still calls the cops every time, well, there are people out there that are just destined to cause trouble.....

• freekstyle

Posted September 23, 2005 - 11:03 PM

As Butta said meeting the guy and talking to him could help. You need to keep in mind however, that some people just have there minds made up that they don't want bikes or ATV anywhere near them no matter how polite you try to be about it.

This is a long story, but its a good one dealing with pain in the ass anti-bike people.

Years ago when I was a little kid, about 8 years old riding my first bike a CT 70, I had permission to putt around on an open field near my house from the land developer. A jackass neighbor of mine would call the cops repetitively. Its was a CT 70 for Gods sake! I could fart and hear it over the exhaust note. It was a regular routine, a cop would show up and ask if I still had permission to be riding. I would say yes, and add that I am still pushing my bike along the road to the field ( about 200' from my driveway). The cop would leave and I would keep riding. After about the fifth time the cops were called I took my dads advice and decided to knock on the guys door. I did exactly as my dad had instructed me, I politely introduced myself, told him that I did have permission to ride the field, and asked him If we could work things out. He shut the door in my face, didn't even say a word. I told my dad about what had happend, He said he would talk with him. This guy must have really pushed the wrong buttons with my pop. My dad is a very calm and collected type of person, but he is not one to tolerate ********, what ever happend on the phone pissed my dad off bad. The next week he came home with a 125 fourstroke Honda enduro bike, he cut the pipe off with hacksaw so it had a straight pipe from the head that was about two feet long. He went to the field with me and ran the crap out of that thing, it was freaking loud. He made a phone call to our neighbor and all I can remember is him saying, " How do you like our new bike". After that he welded the pipe back together and gave me the 125. I rode it all the time without further problems from our neighbor.

Keep in mind this was 20 years ago, things work differently knowdays. I just like to tell this story. Not the right way to deal with it,YES. Not the right image to put out for out sport, YES. Way to speak up for your kid and make him think your dad is a badass, hell yea!

• sirthumpalot

Posted September 24, 2005 - 04:10 AM

Butta has the ideal solution. Also I can tell you that if you don't quiet that thing down then you're going to have issues; not only for you, but sooner or later for anyone else on a bike in your area. I can tell you this because this is exactly what happened to my childhood riding areas. If they can't hear you they won't complain, so get something like an FMFQ, etc.. and ride all you want. Ride quite and ride for a long time, or ride loud and be riding a bicycle soon, your choice. Good luck!

• MisterMan

Posted September 24, 2005 - 11:22 AM

without beying a jack ass go to his house and ask to have a chat /w/ him, tell him u arent gonna leave and neither is he. tell him that you would like to pre plan a time and date that u can ride that will annoy him the least. if all else fails burn his house (lol. j/k)

just my 2 cents,
--Denny

• btc20mx

Posted September 24, 2005 - 11:35 AM

the deputy always used to come pick on me while i would ride my xr 80 , threatening me with tickets and what not, i was like 9 years old by the way, they scared the sh#t out of me. now its nice to piss off the neighbors by shooting some skeet off the dock. police man comes, says are you a member of the NRA? and then tries to get us to be members because he is a fire arm enthusiast, radios to his chief "no violations here" and he leaves and we laugh. sadly where i used to ride got two houses built on it. Its just nice when you can get back at the bastards who love to complain.

• dirtbikesrule

Posted September 24, 2005 - 01:58 PM

As Butta said meeting the guy and talking to him could help. You need to keep in mind however, that some people just have there minds made up that they don't want bikes or ATV anywhere near them no matter how polite you try to be about it.

This is a long story, but its a good one dealing with pain in the ass anti-bike people.

Years ago when I was a little kid, about 8 years old riding my first bike a CT 70, I had permission to putt around on an open field near my house from the land developer. A jackass neighbor of mine would call the cops repetitively. Its was a CT 70 for Gods sake! I could fart and hear it over the exhaust note. It was a regular routine, a cop would show up and ask if I still had permission to be riding. I would say yes, and add that I am still pushing my bike along the road to the field ( about 200' from my driveway). The cop would leave and I would keep riding. After about the fifth time the cops were called I took my dads advice and decided to knock on the guys door. I did exactly as my dad had instructed me, I politely introduced myself, told him that I did have permission to ride the field, and asked him If we could work things out. He shut the door in my face, didn't even say a word. I told my dad about what had happend, He said he would talk with him. This guy must have really pushed the wrong buttons with my pop. My dad is a very calm and collected type of person, but he is not one to tolerate ********, what ever happend on the phone pissed my dad off bad. The next week he came home with a 125 fourstroke Honda enduro bike, he cut the pipe off with hacksaw so it had a straight pipe from the head that was about two feet long. He went to the field with me and ran the crap out of that thing, it was freaking loud. He made a phone call to our neighbor and all I can remember is him saying, " How do you like our new bike". After that he welded the pipe back together and gave me the 125. I rode it all the time without further problems from our neighbor.

Keep in mind this was 20 years ago, things work differently knowdays. I just like to tell this story. Not the right way to deal with it,YES. Not the right image to put out for out sport, YES. Way to speak up for your kid and make him think your dad is a badass, hell yea!

Awesome story!! :applause: :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.