lighting

16 replies to this topic
  • Derik Tate

Posted September 22, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Anyone use after market light kit on WR426 2002. Like to night ride in trails but wish for better light. :banghead:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:01 PM

Contact Baja Designs. They know how to light up the night, they do so for Baja.

http://www.bajadesigns.com

• Derik Tate

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:45 PM

to expensive, i mean like acerbis 2 bulb or something cheaper. Don't want to have to rewind stator.

• moleculo

Posted September 23, 2005 - 08:45 PM

If you want improve your stock headlight change out the stock 55/60W bulb to a higher wattage H4 bulb like an 80/80W or 90/100W. Either one will directly replace your stock bulb and the stator can power them without being rewound.

• Derik Tate

Posted September 24, 2005 - 02:49 PM

i purchased a 110-100 bulb. blue light like in BMW thanks 4 the help :banghead:

• GCannon

Posted September 26, 2005 - 10:23 AM

How does it work? how much brighter is it? how long will it last? Please let us know.

• GCannon

Posted September 26, 2005 - 10:28 AM

How does it work? how much brighter is it? how long will it last? Please let us know.

• Derik Tate

Posted September 26, 2005 - 03:59 PM

Well i don't know just yet. I put it in but haven't had the chance to ride at night. I will b going on a 5 day trip to chadwick in 3 wks, I'll know a lot more then. They say that it is supposed to last as long as stock, but you know the lies they tell to get you to buy something. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:02 AM

I am dying to know the real story after your trip Have a good ride and keep the rubber side down.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted September 30, 2005 - 08:55 AM

What was the part number? I was looking at better replacement bulbs but dont know what base I need or what. saw 2 'bases' for the H4 replacement bulb a P43T base and a P45T base.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:16 AM

I run the Acerbis DHH on both my 400 and 450. The 400 only has a 40watt lighting coil and I am going to assume that your 426 is the same :banghead: so you will have to go out and by 20 watt lamps before you put it on because it comes shipped with two 40 watt lamps. Good news is that you can get the replacement lamps at any Lowes or Home Depot for cheap in any wattage for both spot and flood. I use the Sylvania that have the glass lens on them, (some of the brands do not come with a lens), you can get a 4 pack for about $12.00. :applause:

Installation is pretty easy but you have some options, if you want to switch between running both lamps or just one your OEM switch will not work but it really makes sense to run both lamps at the same time :lol: I have a spot in one side and a flood in the other. The Acerbis DHH will also shave some weight off of the stock assembly.

As far as the lighting levels go.... on the 426 your lighting level depend on engine RPM's but at any RPM it's a dramatic improvement over the stock lamp! On my 450 I can run two 50 watt lamps and it makes day out of night.

In closing I think the Acerbis DHH is the biggest bang for the buck! :lol:

Good Luck!

• Rooster426

Posted September 30, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Anyone use after market light kit on WR426 2002. Like to night ride in trails but wish for better light. :banghead:

I am in the same boat, I have an 01 426, and the lighting next to my buddies on XR400's is embarassing. I have the baja kit installed too (street legal). So if you find a better light let me know. I need it!!

• Derik Tate

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:20 PM

PIAA Powersport Bulbs Part# 70456 H4 60/55=110/100 XTR Model# H-292E
Antivibration bulb, extreme WHITE PLUS.Thats all thats on the box. Only 2 more weeks before i burn up another tire ic chadwick. :banghead:

• Rooster426

Posted October 01, 2005 - 07:02 PM

hey derick, where did you buy, and how much did you pay?

• Derik Tate

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:39 PM

the real story is this. The light pattern is the same, but it is much whiter than the stock bulb. its more yellow. My buddies said if they looked at me from the front they felt like a deer. so i ran his ass over. all in all it was worth it. :banghead:

• Derik Tate

Posted October 19, 2005 - 06:40 PM

Purchased at local shop. Cost $37.00

• PumpkinHumper

Posted October 20, 2005 - 10:11 AM

The 400 only has a 40watt lighting coil and I am going to assume that your 426 is the same :banghead:

The 426 has a 125-130 watt lighting coil.

I have an Acerbis Blitz headlight on my YZ400. I have the wr 426 lighting coil in it. I upgraded the Halogen MR-16 bulbs in the Blitz from (2) 35w bulbs to (2) 50 watt bulbs. I then wired it so both bulbs are on all the time. This sucker is bright.

I called Acerbis and they said that the housing is rated up to the 50 watt bulbs. Any higher and the heat may melt the plastic housing that the bulbs are mounted in.

Nice thing about the Blitz headlight is that I can get the bulbs at any home improvement store. They are just 12v low voltage home lighting bulbs.

Get some new wires for the blitz headlight though. The stock wires suck and break easy. I got a pair of new wires at a home lighting store that are way more durable than the stockers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.