04' WR450 Starter Issues

5 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted September 22, 2005 - 03:49 PM

I have been dealing with this issue for quite a while now. It appears that my starter is turning too slow, with a fresh charge on the battery it will turn over but seems to run the battery dead after 4 or 5 5-10 second attempts. I have bought a new battery and the same issue exists. I kick the bike and it fires right up no problem, in fact I have basically resorted to just using the kick starter full time now. It appears to me that the starter is just overloading the battery, (I have not cleared a fuse yet). Is it possible that I have a bad bearing in the starter or perhaps the starter got some water or dirt in it at one time. Anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thanks!

• ETP

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:24 PM

The electric start components seem to be sized to save wieght and work fine as long as all systems are working effeciently. Not alot of extra starting power like a car system. If you engine is ok, carb is jetted correctly, and the battery is fully charged, the bike will start right up. I've learned on my 03 that after a long sit in the garage, I have to turn on the gas, crank the throttle a couple of times and wait for a minute or two for the carb to prime. After that it usually starts right up.

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Jetting is critical to easy e-start starting down to 32 degrees.
Start with 72 starter jet and 48 pilot jet. I doubt your starter motor is worn out yet. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blaster21996

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:32 PM

Jetting is critical to easy e-start starting down to 32 degrees.
Start with 72 starter jet and 48 pilot jet. I doubt your starter motor is worn out yet. :banghead:

I am willing to bet his jetting is off, and has since worn his starter out prematurely. My 05 received a new starter after 4 months of use .

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 23, 2005 - 02:16 PM

Thanks - This is not the first time I have heard jetting. I will give it a try!

72 Starter and 48 pilot, got it!

• 450high

Posted September 24, 2005 - 11:56 PM

My problem ended up beieg the brush end bearing ( bush ) in the starter motor.Yamaha don/t sell it as a part but if you unsolder the brushes then remove the bush by screwing a tap or bolt thru it and against the plate it should push it out .Go to a bearing shop and get a new one for a couple of dollars.If they don't have the exact size get someone to make one in a lathe out of a bearing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.