Mixing Race gas with pump gas

63 replies to this topic
  • NiftyNic

Posted September 22, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone know if it is OK to mix leaded 110 race fuel with 91 unleaded pump gas.

Don't need that much octane and mixing it at 2 gal. race to 3 gal. pump averages out to 98.6 octane which is plenty for my 2 stroke application.

I can find 100 unleaded race fuel but I have to drive 20 miles to get it, the leaded 110 is about a mile away and only a $1.40 more a gal.

Seems to me that mixing it, leaded and unleaded, should be OK but I am not 100% sure. :banghead:

What do you guys know about this, let me know please.

Thanks

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Dont mix unleaded with leaded. Do a search on "Race Gas".

• Hokie

Posted September 22, 2005 - 01:59 PM

Personally, I don't know why you want to ruin race gas by mixing it with crappy pump gas.

Sort of like mixing Woodfords Reserve with Jim Beam.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:01 PM

Personally, I don't know why you want to ruin race gas by mixing it with crappy pump gas.

Most people do it because of a money shortage, but they dont quite understand what they're doing. Mixing race gas with pump gas takes away from the purpose.

• crfdude86

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:02 PM

i mix 50/50 91 and c12 for my crf.

• ScOtTyBoYmX

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:08 PM

when i had my 125, i mixed 50/50, Trick race gas, and pump gas. Worked out great. got the octane boost, and saved money.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:12 PM

when i had my 125, i mixed 50/50, Trick race gas, and pump gas. Worked out great. got the octane boost, and saved money.

You would have seen more of a power increase if you would have used 100% race gas.

BTW, what type of racing fuel were you using?

• LostTrail

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Some people mix in about 25/75 race / pump to reduce pinging.

• ScOtTyBoYmX

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:21 PM

You would have seen more of a power increase if you would have used 100% race gas.

BTW, what type of racing fuel were you using?

as in brand? It was Trick...dont know exaclty what kind...came in a big black drum. i was only like 17 at the time and it was bought for me so i cant remember exactly. I was a beginner rider so i probably wouldnt have noticed the difference a whole lot. I probably would now though...I more did it because it was better for the motor than regualr pump gas. now that im on a 4-stroke, 91 is fine.

• NiftyNic

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:23 PM

Dont mix unleaded with leaded. Do a search on "Race Gas".

Did a search and could not find a specific answer to my question.

Hokie, at least its not like mixing Woodfords Reserve with coke, which I have seen people do as my profession is bartending.

It has nothing to do with a money shortage but why waste money on octane you don't need and have to go to the trouble of re jetting on top of it ? I am just interested in getting rid of some detonation that the bike (03 YZ 250 2stk) experiences in long deep sand washes, it rips everywhere else.

O4S, what do you mean it takes away from the purpose ?

Mixing pump with race fuel still increases the octane of the pump gas and that is the purpose of doing it, right.

• ScOtTyBoYmX

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I never had to tamper with the jetting on my pinger.

• teamgreen

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Mixing gases doesn't give you the Octane Rating you think...it's not a straightforward mathematical equation; however, you are making a better/more "even" burning fuel than straight pump gas.

When I add mix Race to Pump at 1:4...my KLX400SR runs a lot better...

I have a KX500 that I ride a lot...1:1 race to pump. No pingin'. The motor always comes apart "Clean" and the plug always looks perfect.

Scotty,

You might think about runnin' 1-2 Gallons of race gas per can (5 gal)...your bike will "Love you Long-Time"! :banghead:

• ScOtTyBoYmX

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Mixing gases doesn't give you the Octane Rating you think...it's not a straightforward mathematical equation; however, you are making a better/more "even" burning fuel than straight pump gas.

When I add mix Race to Pump at 1:4...my KLX400SR runs a lot better...

I have a KX500 that I ride a lot...1:1 race to pump. No pingin'. The motor always comes apart "Clean" and the plug always looks perfect.

Scotty,

You might think about runnin' 1-2 Gallons of race gas per can (5 gal)...your bike will "Love you Long-Time"! :banghead:

even on the 250F? what brand would you recomend?

• jjgixxer

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:34 PM

go ahead and mix it... i run 50/50 94 pump and 110 leaded in my cr 250 runs cooler and does not ping :banghead:

• NiftyNic

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:38 PM

I have always done that in the past but with 100 unleaded and 91 unleaded.

I was just concerned about mixing the leaded with unleaded but I see others have done it with no ill effects so I will give it a try.

Thank you all for your quick replies.

• teamgreen

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:38 PM

"jjgixxer" is right on the money.

Scotty, I'd use whatever brand is available. You're really just "Improving" the stability and quality of the fuel and it's "Burn-rate".

Here in Cali...we get a real shitty pump product know as "Summer Blend" during the same period of time as all the "Red-Sticker" ban's on public lands...really crappie gas...

It's REAL obvious in my KLX's case!

• ScOtTyBoYmX

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:41 PM

"jjgixxer" is right on the money.

Scotty, I'd use whatever brand is available. You're really just "Improving" the stability and quality of the fuel and it's "Burn-rate".

Here in Cali...we get a real shitty pump product know as "Summer Blend" during the same period of time as all the "Red-Sticker" ban's on public lands...really crappie gas...

It's REAL obvious in my KLX's case!

i'll give it a shot this weekend. i'll pick up some VP.

• crfdude86

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:17 PM

anyone here use u4 for their 4 stroke?

• Hokie

Posted September 23, 2005 - 07:34 AM

Hokie, at least its not like mixing Woodfords Reserve with coke, which I have seen people do as my profession is bartending.

Yeah, that makes no sense at all.
:banghead:

• CronicArt

Posted September 23, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I mix 3gal. Cam2 and 2gal. Ultra94.(114/94) Works great, runs great, and it smells good too!

My manual suggests 95 or higher. So I mix. We used to do this in the 80's when they still sold leaded fuel. Never any problems.

Race gas does not come with the additives that pump gas has. Some of these additives actually helps your motors longevity.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.