Home made ICAT

19 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted September 21, 2005 - 08:25 PM

G'day guys, i finally got around to making my ICAT, it was a bit dodgy at first but turned out ok, ive installed it and the bike seems to run fine. havnt gone for a real ride yet so unsure of gains.
i have 4 by8424 phillips diodes left (basically all thats in an ICAT), if anyone wants one to try for themselves.

what i did was,
1. unscrew long plug cap from coil wire,
2. strip off rubber from top of boot
3. solder diode to screw
4. solder other end of diode to the inner metal threads of the coil wire
5. slit some fuel line down the middle and push it over the old coil wire and about 1.5cm of the top boot
6. encapsulate the whole thing in epoxy resin.
7. wipe the outside over with automative silicon.
8. heres the dodge bit haha, wrap it all up in electrical tape

seems to be holding up ok

cheers - Brett

• wannabe_bubba_259

Posted September 21, 2005 - 08:46 PM

When you go :banghead: can you give us a ride report as soon as possible?

• goodluckmonkey

Posted September 22, 2005 - 03:17 AM

so what's this supposed to do then???

• Brettv

Posted September 22, 2005 - 03:28 AM

www.icatusa.com
better burning of petrol, better spark,
people have had good results but they cost $200 US
so i made my own for $2 AU

• Dodjy

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:13 PM

G'Day Bretty, have you got a wiring diagram or pictures. Sounds like my sort of mod (involves both dodjy and tightass factors). If it works I'll make 4 for my race car (400HP FJ20 turbo).

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:04 PM

www.icatusa.com
better burning of petrol, better spark,
people have had good results but they cost $200 US
so i made my own for $2 AU

I have read they have less of an effect on four-strokes. True?

• Brettv

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:57 PM

dunno, if you look up the patent, i think theres a link from the home page, there are diagrams and literature about it.
heres the link, just click on the images part to see pics

http://patft.uspto.g...8&RS=PN/6070568

• goodluckmonkey

Posted September 23, 2005 - 03:23 AM

Read this review >>> http://crfsonly.com/...250x-review.php

• byggd

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:28 AM

G'Day Bretty, have you got a wiring diagram or pictures. Sounds like my sort of mod (involves both dodjy and tightass factors). If it works I'll make 4 for my race car (400HP FJ20 turbo).

I'm in the same boat.....more time on my hands than money. Please post some pics and instructions :banghead: Or you could make a few and sell them to us :applause:

• AnthonyRohde

Posted September 23, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I tried on the dyno on my YZ250 '06. Absolutely no change to either
the kw or torque curves. Tried it at the track, no difference.

The mod is total bs. Its a rip.

Use the US$200 on your suspension. You will get far more value for your money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brettv

Posted September 23, 2005 - 07:44 PM

anthony, you are a fool. do your research, no one said you gain any extra hp. if you have read the literature and previous discussions about the ICAT you would be in a better position to make such comments

• goodluckmonkey

Posted September 24, 2005 - 03:47 AM

anthony, you are a fool. do your research, no one said you gain any extra hp. if you have read the literature and previous discussions about the ICAT you would be in a better position to make such comments

What?
So if it makes no performance gains, what's the point?

Does it make the bike expel rose petals and juniper berries from the exhaust pipe instead of harmful emissions?
It's a crock of sh!t according to all the reviews i've read on the 'net.

• AUS_WR450

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:06 AM

Brett,

Have you given your bike a test run yet, with your ICAT copy?

• Brettv

Posted September 30, 2005 - 03:22 AM

no sorry Nigel, i sent you one in the mail, im doing a clutch upgrade now, and need to work on my jetting, in all honesty i only did this for the fun of it, better fuel economy is expected and a cleaner burn which would result in a cleaner plug,
do it if you like to try new things, you could always take it out if u want

• Hurricane

Posted September 30, 2005 - 12:15 PM

I bought one from a guy selling them brand new on ebay. I did have it on a 98' wr400 and now I have it on my 98' kx250. I did not notice any performance increases but it did clean up the jetting and the bike did idle much better, also a slight increase in fuel mileage. On my 2 stroke I had better results. Performance wise the throttle responce is a little crisper but that about it. The bike was already jetted very well so I didn't notice anything there either. But the big thing, especially with a 2 stroke, is the fuel mileage increase. I'm getting roughly 7 to 8 miles per gallon better gas mileage than without it. That is a big deal for me because we tend to sway pretty far away from the truck at times.

• goodluckmonkey

Posted September 30, 2005 - 01:52 PM

Would anyone like some of these magic beans???

They're not THAT expensive.

I'll take paypal and everything.

Or you can send a cheque or bankers draft. E-mail me at Oh-my-god-I'm-gullible@Like-Duh.com

:banghead: :applause: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

• Brettv

Posted September 30, 2005 - 05:11 PM

im giving them away for free monkey man, so other people can try if they want

• skidxr

Posted September 30, 2005 - 07:12 PM

Don't listen to that guy... I have heard the icat improves MPG.. Would be curious to hear of your results..

• bg10459

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:01 PM

Send me one, or at least the recipe. I know what mileage I get now, so I'll be certain if it's an increase, if nothing else.

• wannabe_bubba_259

Posted September 30, 2005 - 10:20 PM

I read a review(I think in TWMX) that it felt like the bike was on VP U4 even though it was pump gas.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.