Gas Tanks

6 replies to this topic
  • Chris wood

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:20 PM

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW IF THE GAS TANK FROM MY FRIENDS OLD XR600 WILL FIT ON TO MY 03-XR650L.NEED TO KNOW BEFORE HE SENDS IT MY WAY,WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE A QUICK RESPONSE,THANKS GUYS. :banghead:

• Red4x4neck

Posted September 21, 2005 - 08:47 PM

I am not knowledgable enough to know the differences down through the years but I would imagine there are some so you may wanna supply the year of of the "old xr 600" ......just a thought
Rob

• Red4x4neck

Posted September 21, 2005 - 08:47 PM

Oh and turn off the capps lock

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FOUR STOKED

Posted September 21, 2005 - 10:49 PM

The mounting system is different on the 600. The 600 has two brackets that bolt too the down tube that hold the front of the tank up. The 650L has rubber donuts that slide on tabs on the backbone, and the tank on the 650L has C cups that slide around the donuts. The 600 is held on with a rubber strap at the back where the 650L has a bolt. That said, you can do it with fabrication, but it ain't worth it with all the aftermarket tanks available. :banghead:

• roadcam

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:40 AM

my advice is to go to the gas-tank websites and see if their Part##s match up .. the way my IMS tank mounted up does not utilize the 'donuts' mounting, so I would think the 600 tank may 'possibly' fit

• FOUR STOKED

Posted September 22, 2005 - 08:21 AM

[

B]Originally posted by roadcam[/B]the way my IMS tank mounted up does not utilize the 'donuts' mounting, so I would think the 600 tank may 'possibly' fit

How is the IMS tank secured Roadcam? I have no experience with the IMS tanks, but I did mount a XR 600 tank on my L some years ago and had to utilize the brackets that were used to originally hold the wings on the front in unison with some aluminum stock attached to the bracket holes under the tank. It was a pain in the arse. :banghead:

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 22, 2005 - 05:16 PM

If the price is worth modifying the machine and/or tank, then get the tank. Best plan is to get the tank that's made for that model. If it's a (used) Clarke 4.0, it'll fit with the available XRL install hardware without any modifications.

That said I've got the Clarke 4.0 and it does use the stock rubber bushings and the ear or "c" cups are molded into the tank. Fits well but lacks lateral stability. So I came up with a quick and simple bracket to solve this. I've got a photo of it in "my garage."

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.