Real solutions to 96db pipes without lost POWER !

17 replies to this topic
  • BOLT Performance

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hi guys...

I have been searching and searching... I found tid bits of info about quieting the bike but none that seemed to come without a loss of power...

This thread is dedicated to finding real technical solutions to 96db compliance without lost power... There are other threads addressing all the politics of it... [COLOR=Red]Please tell us how you solved this problem and saved your powerband ![/COLOR]

My bike is an XR600 with MegaMax 2... I'll be having it sniffed for db in a couple weeks... but I know it's above the limit...

Thanks for your input... Jeff :banghead:

• easton_kooka

Posted September 22, 2005 - 09:03 AM

Off the top of my head there a couple solutions:

1. Twin exhausts - read lower on the tests because only one pipe can be tested at a time

2. Larger volume silencer (higher percentage of sound wave can be absorbed)

3. Reduce engine noise & the pipe can be louder (the major custom chopper builders do this... quiet engine loud pipes = more sales & passed restrictions) (adjust your valves, use a cam belt instead of chain or gears, composite materials to dampen noise transmitted through the engine - ford does this on the new F-150s, reduce the amount of gear lash in all powerplant components)

4. Bigger or more highly tuned engine with a fairly quiet pipe gets you about the same power, but then you've gotta know there's a few more waiting if only you could change the pipe

5. For a while MICRON was making sport bike pipes with a counter resonator that canceled sound waves, but they eliminated it from the US market because riders wanted loud bikes.

• trailsurfer

Posted September 22, 2005 - 09:35 AM

I would like to know if anyone uses the FMF power bomb head pipes with the Q2 muffler. How does it work, power, sound, etc..

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 22, 2005 - 12:59 PM

A not-too way-out idea if your silencer is not very sturdy:
Wrap some thicker steel or aluminium around it to keep as much sound from coming through the silencer casing.

Might not take much to make a difference.

D

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 23, 2005 - 01:52 AM

Well I popped in some clean jets and got ready for an up coming trip... Put on my helmet and took it OUTside the neighborhood for some speed runs... cut through a couple neighborhoods in the area just to avoid cops between runs... Driving slow but rapping the throttle to feel the bike... WHERE EVER I went I felt like all eyes were on me... It is TOO loud... I think I am an automatic ticket if the Rangers hear me in their vicinity... I need to do something although I enjoy the power... Although I hear some monster loud 450s out there so who knows...

Sad thing is that it isn't nearly as bad as 90% of the choppers running through my neck of the woods in HB yet I need to get quieter out in the middle of the desert. Go figure. :banghead:

• DRAGO

Posted September 23, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Well I popped in some clean jets and got ready for an up coming trip... Put on my helmet and took it OUTside the neighborhood for some speed runs... cut through a couple neighborhoods in the area just to avoid cops between runs... Driving slow but rapping the throttle to feel the bike... WHERE EVER I went I felt like all eyes were on me... It is TOO loud... I think I am an automatic ticket if the Rangers hear me in their vicinity... I need to do something although I enjoy the power... Although I hear some monster loud 450s out there so who knows...

Sad thing is that it isn't nearly as bad as 90% of the choppers running through my neck of the woods in HB yet I need to get quieter out in the middle of the desert. Go figure. :banghead:

Man i bet you have some big kahunas for riding your bike in hb, you need to take it down to main st some saturday and park it by the street bikes, that would be awesome, if you park it in front of hurricans ill toss you a beer...

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 23, 2005 - 09:18 AM

Man i bet you have some big kahunas for riding your bike in hb, you need to take it down to main st some saturday and park it by the street bikes, that would be awesome, if you park it in front of hurricans ill toss you a beer...

Ha Ha... I wasn't anywhere near down town... NO WAY... I was ripping around Bushard and Adams... :banghead:

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Do a search on "Hindle"

This guy is supposed to be a god when it comes to exhaust technology. I was reading some stories the other day and apparently he is the pioneer of quiet power.

Heres some links for starters, you may have to contact them and see if they do one for you bike.

http://www.partsmag....indle-O404.html

http://www.hindle.co...body_index.html

• Ramcc4x4

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:32 PM

My brother has a 1996 XR600 and passes the 96db test with a White Bros E2 pipe. With a White Bros header, "E" Series pipe with 12 discs and quiet core insert I pass the CA 96 db test and don't feel like the bike lost any power at all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted September 23, 2005 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys... I'll be looking into it... :banghead:

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 24, 2005 - 08:16 PM

I had the pipe tested at Gorman today by a couple very cooperative and friendly Rangers... Tested at 101db... Worse than I thought.... :banghead:

• Dual_Dog

Posted September 25, 2005 - 05:59 AM

I had the pipe tested at Gorman today by a couple very cooperative and friendly Rangers... Tested at 101db... Worse than I thought.... :banghead:

What pipe did you test, a White Bros E-series? If so, how many discs were on it and was it repacked recently?

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 25, 2005 - 02:13 PM

What pipe did you test, a White Bros E-series? If so, how many discs were on it and was it repacked recently?

No... The MegaMax is a FMF pipe... I don't believe any number of plates will pass... The microphone is held at a 45 degree angle to the pipe... On a bike with plates and zero rear flow as in a FMF or SuperTrap all exhaust is directed by the plates right into the Mic. It's not just that my pipe is too load... It's that it also directs exhaust waves right into the MIC.

I'll be selling my FMF on eBay to someone in a state with out all these laws as it is a very good performance pipe... I am still not decided what I will buy yet to replace my pipe...

On a side note... My buddies TRX450R Quad passed the test at 92db. He has the HRC HotCam Kit with Racing plug in the stock exhaust housing... NO reason to waste money on a pipe on that quad...

• jws

Posted September 25, 2005 - 03:54 PM

Did they let you ride?????

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 25, 2005 - 11:33 PM

Did they let you ride?????

OH sure... They said they don't have the same political pressure there to control noise. So since I asked politely and was interested in solving the problem that they would be happy to test for me, NOT cite me and I could ride. :banghead: They said even if cited that it was a fix it ticket and therefore they don't kick people out of the park.

The said some places like Hollister always check and will not let you ride... Must be more tree huggers up there... I am so happy I know that cause a bunch of us were gonna take a 4 day trip to Hollister... What a mess that would have been. :applause:

• Ramcc4x4

Posted September 27, 2005 - 05:56 AM

When I had my YZ490 I voluntarily had it sound tested in Hollister and failed miserably. They still let me ride for the day.

• al_piv

Posted September 27, 2005 - 06:27 AM

Does anyone know what the noice level is with the stock exhaust and the Honda power tip?

• BOLT Performance

Posted September 27, 2005 - 02:31 PM

I only know the 450 quad and HRC exhaust tip with cam and jetting was 92db.... Way below the limit.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.