Carbon Fiber Everything 426, Even the motor mounts.

8 replies to this topic
  • kevin nichols

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:11 PM

I recently bought a beautiful 426, loaded with carbon fiber components. How durable are carbon fiber motormounts? Do many of you guys actually use them?

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:32 PM

They could be significantly stronger than aluminum, if made right.

• big t

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:17 AM

If money was a non issue I would do everything I could in carbon fiber. I love the way it looks.

• speddie3

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:35 AM

I mess around with carbon fiber, and it is increadible stuff. I forgot the actual numbers but it is considerable stonger than steel never the less aluminum. From what I recall aluminum is great and all but it is much less forgiving under stress/bending. CF depending on how it is laid up will allow for some "give" and return to its original with no loss in strength where as aluminum will be weaker at that point. I don't have the mounts, but if they were made good I can't see why they won't last forever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt96xr6

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:07 AM

Top mounts are fine.

The lower mounts will eventually hog out the holes and you will start getting a good vibration through the bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:12 AM

Top mounts are fine.

The lower mounts will eventually hog out the holes and you will start getting a good vibration through the bike.

I agree - I have also worn out many a set of carbonfiber frame guards from friction. They look great when new though

• gmoss357

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:38 AM

I broke an Easton CT2 CF seatpost on a mountain bike, so I don't put much faith in it when structural integrity is needed. Guards and protection would be OK though, but still not worth the money.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:50 AM

CF depending on how it is laid up will allow for some "give" and return to its original with no loss in strength

The rear springs of Chevy Astros, and both springs on Corvettes since 1984 are CF, as an example of that.

It would be more accurate to say that IF you allow the mount bolts to loosen, enlargement to the bolt holes will occur more rapidly than with aluminum, but it will happen to any material if you don't keep it tight. If you do keep them cinched up, you wont have the problem. To be fair, CF mounts need to be checked more often.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 05:49 PM

They could be significantly stronger than aluminum, if made right.

Stronger and lighter if made right?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.