04 WR450 - tranny screwed! HELP!

4 replies to this topic
  • kevin1209

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:40 PM

I just got a used 04 WR450, and the previous owner had bent the shifter arm and slightly cracked the crankcase cover. I also have a 98 WR400 that had a similar problem that I fixed with the greatest product ever, JB Weld. With the WR400, I just popped off the cover, sanded the area, applied the weld, and put it back on. With my 04, when I pulled off the crankcase cover, I discovered all kinds of extra crap that wasn't on my WR400. One of the gear assemblies came out when I removed the cover, so when I fixed the crack, I slid it back into place (I thought), and put everything back together. Now I can only shift from 1st gear into neutral and back. When I shift from first to second, it just goes to neutral. If I keep upshifting, it just clicks and doesn't change gears. If I downshift, it goes right back to first. What the he$$ did I do wrong? :banghead: Also, do any of these parts inside the crankcase cover relate to the starter switch? Can I fix this myself, or did I really screw something up? I know there is someone out there reading this and shaking his head or laughing, so I am ready for your input.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Which cover did you remove? The left, or the right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kevin1209

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:07 PM

The left one, on the shifter side.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2005 - 06:48 PM

None of that has anything to do with the transmission. It's the ignition and starter drive. If your shifter problem occurs while you are actually riding, as opposed to "dry shifting" with the engine off, what may be happening is that a bent shift shaft is preventing the ratchet from re-centering after you upshift. The shaft must move back to a centered position freely in order to catch the next pawl peg on the shift cam. If it moves freely, but still doesn't pick up the next hook, see if you can return it beyond center a bit and get it to do so. The internal linkage can get bent to the point that it won't operate right.

The shift shaft can be removed by removing the right side crankcase cover and pulling the clutch off, with the engine in the bike, and its operation can be checked out in place.

• kevin1209

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:11 AM

Thanks. I'm picking up a manual today to help with the visuals. Good tips, as usual.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.