washing your bike

7 replies to this topic
  • silveradoss

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:17 PM

Do you guys plug the holes in the side panels before you wash your bikes? I plug mine but still get some water on my air filter.

• motohonda45

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:32 PM

no i havent ever plugged them. Bikes runs fine the next weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I block them off while I'm working around them. Bear in mind, that's not the only air path to the filter. Air (and water) goes under the rear edge of the seat, and up under the seat at the shock mount. As long as it isn't a lot of water, don't worry about it. It will just pass through the filter and the engine when it gets run hard enough, or evaporate before the next ride.

• 02YZ426

Posted September 21, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Just take the seat off and put a bag over the filter... and try not to spray water in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VET_YZF_Rider

Posted September 21, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Just take the seat off and put a bag over the filter... and try not to spray water in there.

I agree!
Take the seat off, put a couple of plastic grocery bags over the entire air filter, plus put a small to medium size towel over the air box, put the seat back on without the bolts, wash the bike, dry it off and you will find that the air filter will remain nice and dry.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 22, 2005 - 07:10 AM

I wash my bike normally and install a clean pre oiled filter every ride. If it is during the same race - I will get a new large ziplock bag - same type as I use for preoiled filters - cover the airfilter and no problem. You can also take a paper towel afterwards to adsorb any water that makes it to the surface of the filter as well as the inside of the air box. I have multiple filters that I rotate.

• Thumper38

Posted September 22, 2005 - 09:23 AM

DITTO

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 05:48 PM

Thats alot of work and not really neccesary.

Just block off the airbox vents and muffler with tape if your really concerned.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.