fmf factory 4 silencer

4 replies to this topic
  • silveradoss

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:21 PM

I have a 03 yz 450 and I can't seem to get the factory 4 to work with my bike. I get alot of backfireing on deceleration. I tried playing with the pilot screw but no diffrence at all. The bike works awesome with the stock pipe and I am running out of patience. Any help would be appreciated.

• B86_Racer

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:11 PM

Sounds like you need to bump up your jetting. Try going up one your main and possibly your pilot. Might need to go 2 up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryaninetyone

Posted September 22, 2005 - 08:15 PM

yeah, any time you put on an aftermarket free breathing pipe you most likely need to "up" the main jets a couple.

• Butta

Posted September 23, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I replaced my stock pipe with an FMF Ti-4 pipe and only had to mess with the fuel screw. If where you are puts you right on the edge of being lean with the stock pipe, then the FMF pipe could have put you over the edge. HOWEVER, as many people have told me, one of the most common causes of popping on deceleration (let's call it excessive popping on decel) is a leak in the exhaust system. Check the mid pipe joint for air leaks. When in doubt, pull it off and seal it with a high temp exhaust sealant. I would do that first before diving into jetting issues.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Check the mid pipe joint for air leaks. When in doubt, pull it off and seal it with a high temp exhaust sealant. I would do that first before diving into jetting issues.

And you'd be right.

Besides, decel popping is meaningless unless it's just really excessive.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.