03' 450f flywheel o.z. size & jetting tips..im lost?

12 replies to this topic
  • keitzn

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:31 PM

hey all i have an 03' yz450f motor in an 89' honda 250r frame. built it from the ground up. im looking to get the best out of my motor.
1. right now im stalling some on tight ATV trails and my front end is always wanting to leave the ground when i crack on it. should i go with a different flywheel?
2. i have a full curtis sparks exhaust and K&N air filter on this bike. should i change the jetting?
3. my current sprocket set up is a 14/38. i think im gonna change to a 14/40 or 13/40. i want more low end to shift on the trials. any ideas?
4. my timing chain has been making alot of niose. should i whitch to the manual chain tensioner? the motor had low hours when i bought it?
remeber all this is an atv....what do you think, im not an expert.
thanks a ton for any help!!!!
nick

• ncmountainman

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:56 PM

14/38? by my calcs thats 17/48+! if thats not a typo than thats your problem :banghead: for the woods with that trannie i'd suggest 13/50 :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Bob, it's a trike....tiny little wheels, etc.

keitzn, you'd get more helpful info for your problem by taking to the YFZ Quad forum.

• keitzn

Posted September 21, 2005 - 06:46 PM

so if i was to go with maybe a 13/43 do you think that would keep my front wheels from lifting and allow me to shift more on the tight trials

thanks in advance!
nick

• ncmountainman

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:14 PM

Bob, it's a trike....tiny little wheels, etc.

keitzn, you'd get more helpful info for your problem by taking to the YFZ Quad forum.

i'm gettin beat up lately,i need to go ride :lol: my buddy had one of those back in the day,2 smoke with the CR motor;dang thing flew! i ran my foot over trying to ride it like a bike! not a good idea :banghead: that must be crazy with a 03 yz motor on it :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:23 PM

that must be crazy with a 03 yz motor on it :banghead:

So you don't have an immediate solution for his problem of raising the front wheel?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ONLY4STROKES

Posted September 22, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Gear your bike higher and bolt on a heavier flywheel if you dont like your front-end lifting.

• keitzn

Posted September 22, 2005 - 06:31 PM

yeah im gonna get the heavier of the two flywheels that gyt-r offers. as for the gearing and gearing it higher. right now ima 14/38. what do you all think i should go to. im tryin to avoid buyin 10 sprockets to get the right combo.
thanks for the help. the quad forum has been no help on this one

• ncmountainman

Posted September 23, 2005 - 03:49 AM

So you don't have an immediate solution for his problem of raising the front wheel?

maybe you could put a seat over the front wheel and strap a buddy in it! remembering what that thing was like to ride i'd go with a +12 fw and drop down to a 13t front,might just be the perfect combo for go fast,with no stall in the tight stuff :banghead: imagine a rekluse on one of those :applause:

• keitzn

Posted September 23, 2005 - 05:31 AM

yeah i was thinking a 13t up front. how about the rear, maybe a 43 or 45. who here has recluse clutches? what are they like
peace

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2005 - 06:43 AM

maybe you could put a seat over the front wheel and strap a buddy in it! remembering what that thing was like to ride i'd go with a +12 fw and drop down to a 13t front,might just be the perfect combo for go fast,with no stall in the tight stuff :banghead:

I was thinking switch the 450 for a 250F. I remember a TT'r recalling his old Yamaha 250 trike. He said he used to call it "The Mouse Trap", because every time he'd try a hard climb, the thing would flip over and "snap shut" on him. And that was with the stock engine. I don't see any hope for it with a 450, short of adding 18" of wheelbase.

• keitzn

Posted September 23, 2005 - 10:06 AM

its no different than the 450 yamaha quad or the 450r honda. it just has alittle more kick.

• fowler175

Posted September 23, 2005 - 05:07 PM

I would assume that being an 89', keitzn is refering to the 250R QUAD, not the trike.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.