side panel drilling?

22 replies to this topic
  • BIG RED

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:28 PM

Do i have to drill my side cover for more air or does somebody make somthing a little more on the side of pretty? i need to do it, but i would like something maybe with a screen in it to help shead of water.
thanx

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:32 PM

what exactly is your goal again? ya pretty much lost me......do u want to drill a hole in the side pannel?

• justicedone

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Its a very common mod on the XR650R models, most guys modify the L side panel with trick looking holes and small mesh screen epoxy'ed to keep debri out and let more air in.

Do a search to get more info and pics..

I have an L so I cant help ya more.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:05 PM

ooooh i get it.......heck, i would just open up the top of the airbox a little more.....or the right side.....just put a hole in that and a screen over it.

• mgs781

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:15 PM

http://www.thumperta...tachmentid=8189

Like this?

MGS

• justicedone

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Holy Shit Mark, bikes looking tight ! :banghead: :applause: :lol:

It must suck climbing those steep hills though... j/k

• justicedone

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Seriously, you should have a dedicated website of all the work you did in detail and pics of the stages etc. Its incredible what you have created, and I hope you dont ever sell it.

I have a 67 Camaro SS/RS 350 I have owned since I was 18 and I am 40...would never sell her.

Hope you feel the same of your XR.

That thing is ....
S
I
C'

:banghead:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:22 PM

i hate to say is but is that massive rotor realy nessicary? my cuz has one on his drz (came with it) and he hates it because it grabs way to hard. i would htink with the smaller tire the stock rotor would be fine......heck, mine is fine, i could lock it up on pavement if i wanted.

• Mark_Bear

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:34 PM

It's a bit off topic here but if you ride on the road a lot, and particularly start punting hard through the twisties the big rotor is a god send. The small brakes on a dirt bike just don't cut it at repeated stops from a high speed.

Everything is a compromise and the trade off is sometimes a bit too much braking on the dirt, but it's not like you'd ride a motard on the dirt much. like it has been said a hundred times before...horses for courses, and everyone has different needs.

• cholwerk

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:38 PM

i hate to say is but is that massive rotor realy nessicary? my cuz has one on his drz (came with it) and he hates it because it grabs way to hard. i would htink with the smaller tire the stock rotor would be fine......heck, mine is fine, i could lock it up on pavement if i wanted.

I agree, I am going to put a tiny rotor on my motard wheels tomorrow. I hate mashing the shit out of the front brake and having it accually stop the bike. :applause: Maybe I can graft a TTR-125 drum brake onto my 650R. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mgs781

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:52 PM

http://www.thumperta...tachmentid=8187

The other side!

Justice, thanks.

The big rotor does wonders, I have become king of the late brakers. Once you get used to it you could never go back to stock. My sportbikes brakes feel really weak now.

MGS

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:58 PM

I agree, I am going to put a tiny rotor on my motard wheels tomorrow. I hate mashing the shit out of the front brake and having it accually stop the bike. :applause: Maybe I can graft a TTR-125 drum brake onto my 650R. :banghead:

no, im thinkin no rotors or drums at all, u know the brakes on bycicles that rub on the rim? thats whats goin on my 650. but seriously, i think the stock rotor size is fine........all u gotta do is work out ur pimp hand

• mgs781

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:00 PM

Sportbike tires have tons more grip than dual sport tires. I used to skid my stock tires coming up to stop signs, mostly for fun

Braking from 80 into a hard right hander, on sportbike tires takes all the brakes I have. Big brakes are not meant to be used hard at low speeds.

Until you've riden one you will never know,

MGS

• justicedone

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:06 PM

If you ever move to San Diego... I WANNA RIDE !!!

• Max Power

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Do i have to drill my side cover for more air or does somebody make somthing a little more on the side of pretty? i need to do it, but i would like something maybe with a screen in it to help shead of water.
thanx

The first time you run your bike through this, you will wish you didn't drill your side panel.

Posted Image

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Sportbike tires have tons more grip than dual sport tires. I used to skid my stock tires coming up to stop signs, mostly for fun

Braking from 80 into a hard right hander, on sportbike tires takes all the brakes I have. Big brakes are not meant to be used hard at low speeds.

Until you've riden one you will never know,

MGS

but like my cuzon has an oversized on his drz400 e with all dirt set up......its retarted.....way to much stoping power.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:56 PM

The first time you run your bike through this, you will wish you didn't drill your side panel.

Posted Image

and you wish u didnt get that 2 inch lowering link

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:57 PM

but if its for super moto, i dont think it would matter in water.

• zackm58941

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:12 PM

but like my cuzon has an oversized on his drz400 e with all dirt set up......its retarted.....way to much stoping power.

Well thats why you dont do set ups like that on dirt! Stock brakes are fine on the trails but with all that grip with different rubber on there, you pretty much need the 320 mm rotor.

Anyways, sorry to get side tracked... I drilled my side panel on my bike and dont regret it at all. Although, if I did strictly ride trails with water crossings and what not, I would prob leave it be.

Zack

• bosshog

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:55 PM

Here's a link to some that are .....eeer.....pretty.

stage 1
https://secure.srcin...684&StartRow=11

stage 2
https://secure.srcin...685&StartRow=11

do it your self kit
https://secure.srcin...683&StartRow=11

If you did buy another side cover already drilled you could put your stock one back on IF you knew there was going to be some water to deal with.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.