6'9" riding a XR650R....bar riser question

14 replies to this topic
  • kehale

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Who makes the BIGGEST (and best) one.
I saw a pic of a simple riser that lifted the bars about 2" and appeared to move them forward about 1" or so. I was not able to find the manufacturer.

Does anyone know what this brand is?

Also, I'm probably (in the long run) going to change out the bars/top clamp for something a little more custom that will also integrate a stabilizer, but I'm still a little poor from buying the bike.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help/advice.
I'm locktighting and lubing everthing before my first outing this next weekend.

-T

PS: Heavier springs...that's next! (249 lb rider)

• al_piv

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:39 AM

thumper racing carries those

• al_piv

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:40 AM

check this out Posted Image

• Delvii

Posted September 19, 2005 - 11:35 AM

I too have the tall guy problem but only 6'4". I replaced the bars with one from MSR (I think).
The ones I choose were accually for a Quad but they gave me 5" at the grips now I can stand up strait and not be bent over. It made all the difference in comfort for me.

• BigMikey

Posted September 19, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Another vote for the Thumper Racing bar risers. I'm 6'8" and the 1.5" up and out risers have worked wonders for me. Combine them with some CR High Bend bars and you should have some more room to work with. I didn't have to replace any cables to fit both, just re-routed some cables and it works great.

As for suspension, definitely heavier springs makes a huge difference. I had Rob Barnum redo my suspension and it works like a champ. Huge difference.

If you haven't already, you might also look into some IMS pro pegs. For the larger rider with larger feet, these make the 650R much easier to actually stay on, and much more comfortable for longer rides when your on the pegs for a while.

• kehale

Posted September 19, 2005 - 03:23 PM

Those are the ones!

Excellent response.

Thanks so much for your help.
I just want to ride this thing to break it in, but don't want to feel like a gorilla riding a football.

I realize that I probably make it look like a 250, but that's how it's gotta be.

Anyway, thanks again! Good advice on the pegs, too!
-T

• sgifford

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:44 PM

I use Renthal bars for the Yamaha Banshee. They have about a 4"" rise, and I can stand up comfortably, without the need for risers. They've also survived many crashes! :-)

The stock cables work fine.

I'm 6'6".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kehale

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I use Renthal bars for the Yamaha Banshee. They have about a 4"" rise, and I can stand up comfortably, without the need for risers. They've also survived many crashes! :-)

The stock cables work fine.

I'm 6'6".

banshee renthal bars...maybe that's the ticket since I want to do something a little more custom in the future (not spending too much on the simple "pre-gettingthebikealltogehter" mods).

Thanks.
-T

• jws

Posted September 21, 2005 - 03:55 AM

check this out Posted Image

I am 6'4" this is my old set up - I have switched to a GPR under the bar set up now and it about the same hieght as the thumperRacing Risers w/ renthal buttons:thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• kehale

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:39 AM

sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but what are buttons?

To be honest, I've been riding streetbikes for the last 18 years or so. I had a tumble (finally) a couple years ago and it started my grand sale (of all the streetbikes).

-T

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 21, 2005 - 09:04 AM

sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but what are buttons?

To be honest, I've been riding streetbikes for the last 18 years or so. I had a tumble (finally) a couple years ago and it started my grand sale (of all the streetbikes).

-T

He is referring to the Button bars by Renthal. That is the last name of the rider who used them. The highest bar Renthal makes.

• xrdad

Posted September 21, 2005 - 10:44 PM

I can't find the risers in Thumpertalk's store. What is the Mfg. and the part number?

Ted K.

• trailsurfer

Posted September 22, 2005 - 08:44 AM

If you have any plans on using a steering stabilizer you should check out the sub-mount system from BRP. The sub-mount places the stabilizer under the bar mount which is safer, plus for us tall guys (I'm 6'6"), it raises the bars about an additional inch. Check it out at brpit.com

• kehale

Posted September 22, 2005 - 11:30 AM

I can't find the risers in Thumpertalk's store. What is the Mfg. and the part number?

Ted K.

You need to call them, it's not in their catalog.
-T

1.5" up and 1" forward.

• jws

Posted September 22, 2005 - 02:19 PM

Ted K.

They are made by Thumper Racing - I dont have the part # they were $89 from Baja Designs...........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.