01 or 02 YZF426

9 replies to this topic
  • BullDZR

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:12 AM

What is the difference between the two years of an 01 or an 02, any major changes? Any problems with the 01? Thanks.

Wayne

• HotRod250F

Posted September 19, 2005 - 11:55 AM

I've had an '01 and currently ride an '02. There were some very minor changes, but nothing the average rider would notice. They're basically the same bike, just find one with low hours that was well maintained and go out and have fun. Overall, the '01-'02 YZF 426 is the best bang for your buck. :banghead:

• 02YZ426

Posted September 19, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Isnt the 01 the year that was a pain to remove the oil filter? Something about having to remove the header to get at the bolts, or was that an earlier year still? I just remember reading something about that.

• FZ1426

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Isnt the 01 the year that was a pain to remove the oil filter? Something about having to remove the header to get at the bolts, or was that an earlier year still? I just remember reading something about that.

No, that was the earlier 400's.

• fast426

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:24 PM

Have had my 01' since new. The best bike I've ever ridden. Ridden it constantly and have'nt even had to adjust the valves. Still runs like a top. I change the oil after every 10-15 hours. I think this has a lot to due with the no valve adjustment required. I buy my oil by the case so it's cheaper. I'm kind of a maintenence nut, but it's worth it. BTW, is'nt it a YZ426FN for the 01'. I think the YZF426 is the quad. Now I'm just being picky.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:23 PM

the 01 is a great bike. There were minor changes to the 02.

the 400's and the 2000 426 had the low boy head pipe that made cleaning/changing the oil filter a pain.

• kbenzon

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:12 PM

i have an 01 and have no problems cleaning my oil filter. my buddy has an 02 and his has titanium valves and mine stainless. his front brake system is different and i think better but other than that when they were stock that is about the only different things that i could remember.

• Satch0922

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:15 PM

the 2001 has titainium valves....

• yz_for_me

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:33 PM

From Off-Road.com here's the list of what was new in '02.

Revamped carburetor settings deliver crisper, more linear throttle response for optimal engine output.
Remapped digital CD ignition system delivers more precise spark and optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration, and less kickback during starting.

All-new hydroformed swingarm is lighter and stronger for reduced weight, greater rigidity and more compliant rear suspension action, while an anodized finish gives it a trick, factory team-style look. Also includes a larger pivot shift for increased durability.

Rear shock refinements include improved actuation, a new linking ratio and enhanced damping force.

Revamped front fork settings deliver improved damping force with less bottoming for a smoother, more compliant overall stroke.

Lightweight front wheel hub reduces unsprung weight and increases durability.

Larger rear brake disc means greater stopping power.

Retooled handlebar mounts are increased in size to help accommodate a wider range of riders.

• BullDZR

Posted September 21, 2005 - 10:38 AM

Thanks all for the responses. I decided to go with the 02, I have to pay for shipping, but I am getting such an awsome deal with equipment included it all works out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.