03' 450 Hard to start when very cold??

5 replies to this topic
  • jacill

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:25 AM

I have an 03' 450 It starts fine when it is not to cold, but I use it for hunting in the colder months and first thing in the morning it is a beach to start. Once it fires up then we are good to go. The temp is probably around 35 degrees and in the mountains around 6000 feet. Like I said though once I have it started and have to restart it later there is no problem. It doesn't even try to fire untill you kick on it for 10-15 times. I choke it, then no choke, pump it a couple times, and I have had my little bro hold his hand over the pipe to hold in some of the warmer air. I don't know anything else to do, any ideas. Thanks in advance. :banghead:

• bg10459

Posted September 19, 2005 - 09:06 AM

What size starter jet do you have? I'd guess you should increase it for cold weather. You should probably re-jet everything for cold weather because your warm weather jetting will result in a lean condition when it's cold, but if it works OK, :banghead: .

BTW, ever get anything with the bike? :applause:

• jacill

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:57 AM

BTW, ever get anything with the bike?

No, I guess the animals are more agile then I am on the 450.. :banghead: Sure comes in handy when it comes time to pack them out though! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pablo-75rus

Posted September 22, 2005 - 11:59 PM

We here in Russia have motos until 5 degrees (Fahrengeit). I have standard jetting and my city is located 3000 ft above sea level. I have a piece of good advice for you. When it's cold, open the fuel tap, pull the choke and... roll the throttle 2 or 3 times. After that kick it. I bet it will start after first or second kick.

When I was told that hint, I was amazed how simple things can work. The secret is that you make the fuel mix richer.

• PK

Posted September 23, 2005 - 08:28 AM

What weight of engine oil are you running? I would run a good quality light weight 10W-30 or maybe an even lighter weight in a synthetic oil. Jetting, as stated earlier, is obviously another consideration. My bike was like that when we went to Colorado this summer (10,000 ft). It's a pain in the butt when they are that cold to kick start.

• grayracer513

Posted September 23, 2005 - 08:40 AM

A 10w-30 and a 10w-40 are exactly the same viscosity at 40 degrees. That's not the starting problem. Do as the Russian dude says; give a couple squirts to get it going.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.