Rim grease

10 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Do you use it?
This is the kind you put on your air filter, not the other kind.

• hitech

Posted September 19, 2005 - 12:46 PM

Yes, grease is your friend.

• Supplicate

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Never have used the sealer grease, been considering starting with it though.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 05:12 PM

what exactly is it? sounds like something for me :banghead: :applause:

lately ive been goin crazey with grease........doin the chain before and afer each ride......axles very often.......zerts (er however u spell it) every 700 miles ish.... am i missing anything?

• hitech

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:43 PM

any multipurpose grease will do around the sealing face of the air filter. Makes for a good seal to keep out the dirt. Here's what I use

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:51 PM

I use PC Racing's Pro Seal on some of my bikes. It's a neopreme seal that takes the place of grease and it works well. My airboxes have stayed clean enough through dust, silt, talc, sand, etc. On our bikes that don't have the Pro Seal, I use rim grease just as I've been doing for the last 30+ years.

• Naru

Posted September 20, 2005 - 11:32 PM

Always used 'rim' grease on all of my bikes, and always will. No real point in oiling up an air filter if the dust can just get in from the sides. For grease, I find that any old waterproof bearing grease works well, as it's nice, thick, and sticky as hell.

When I got my XR650r, I was less than thrilled with the air filter mounting. I went with the Uni filter, but the damn thing didn't fit that well and bulged out. I was concerned heavily about dirt making it around the filter, and there was no real surface that the filter sat against like on most bikes. So, I bought a tube of automotive waterproof grease, and put it into a grease gun with a tip. Then I ran a thick bead all the way around the edge of the airbox, where it is recessed. I usually wipe the grease away and lay another bead every 3-4 airfilter changes. Seems to work well for keeping the dirt out so far (along with a good bead around the filter itself). :banghead:

• JackAttack

Posted September 21, 2005 - 12:59 AM

Dumb questions like this are the reason guys like Irondude and other intelligent guys don't read and respond to real questions in this forum.

Sad! :applause:

F U Honda ..............I'm riding a KTM this weekend. :banghead:

• ghoti

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:42 AM

Dumb questions like this are the reason guys like Irondude and other intelligent guys don't read and respond to real questions in this forum.

At least we have one ignoramus, thanks Jack.

• roadcam

Posted September 21, 2005 - 07:15 AM

makes me glad that I didnt Read and Respond to this post ... I wouldnt wanna be in that 'un-intelligent' category ...
:lol:

• Naru

Posted September 21, 2005 - 04:58 PM

Gotta help everyone out. Well, everyone but that WR450F kid, anyway.

Btw Jack, given the option, I'd rather get the 10 seconds of my life back I spent reading your useless reply then the 5 minutes reading and responding to the original poster. :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.