mechanical speedo that fits XR650R cable?

9 replies to this topic
  • Zapp22

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:49 AM

guys
before I lurch off and spend a lotta money on an electronic one, thought I better poke about and see if there is a mechanical speedo that can fasten directly to the stock cable on my XR650R ?????
it would seem that a lof of those types would be standardized where several choices could screw on to the cable......
Am I dreamin'; ?

zapp

• knuklehead

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Baja Designs

• qadsan

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:59 AM

I've got a couple mechanical speedometers for sale that I've never used which I plan on selling at $50 each once I find them. They look like this. They're 1:1 drive ratio with the standard thread coupling that most Japanese bikes have. They have a non-resetable odometer as required by the DOT and a trip meter which can easily be reset. They're illuminated if you connect 12 volts to them. I also designed some dampened mounts and had them precision made at a shop, however the fabicator wasn't able to read my CAD file and some things got lost in the file conversion and they made them anyway even though they were not exactly what I wanted. The mounts bolt to the two holes in the stock triple clamp just to the inside of the forks and it secures this speedometer, but the mount would have to be relieved by the steering stem (grinder / dremel tool) to properly fit. I'm also going to sell the mounts as well if you're interested since I just don't have a need for them anymore. If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig them out and get some pics.

• Zapp22

Posted September 19, 2005 - 09:40 AM

OK, now i finally found the BD one. looks 'normal'. their search function ain't worth a %#@^!

gadsan, appreciate the tip. I have no idea what I can buy one for so I'm price ignorant at the moment. let me keep snooping and get back to you with an answer
z

• qadsan

Posted September 19, 2005 - 09:47 AM

Also check eBay as sometimes there's some good deals to be had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldturtle

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:38 AM

A stock Honda XR200 1987 plus some additional years on each side has a very nice compact unit with dial speedo and resetable odometer. These are extremely reliable. Baja Designs used to sell these but don't now, probably because Honda has no more. Maybe some cycle salvage has one or else ebay.

• Eric Henion

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:41 AM

JC Whitney has one for about 45 dollars it has lighting but it does not have a trip meter.

• Max Power

Posted September 19, 2005 - 10:49 AM

More info HERE.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:26 PM

i would get a trail tech

• fastmonstr

Posted September 19, 2005 - 08:40 PM

A 650L speedo will work just fine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.