I feel guilty now!

7 replies to this topic
  • Bill

Posted March 22, 2001 - 08:25 AM

My buddy Mike68 has been telling me about his work with the treehuggers in NH and I've been following the threads about noise. On this site and others. It is a huge and sometimes heated topic.

But now, I think I need to consider my impact in decibels. I run a White Bros pipe and 12 discs. It's loud, very loud. I do love it very much and love not having to loosen the header to change the filter.

I have also gotten close to jetting perfection :), but now I feel guilty.

I only ride in ATV parks or MX tracks. I won't put the stock exhaust back on. I will consider removing some discs and rejetting :D Especially considering may ride some public land this summer.

Thanks for making me consider this "for the long haul".

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 22, 2001 - 08:45 AM

Hey you noisy old bastard, whats your problem? :). Just kidding. I am glad you feel guilty. Track riding is a little different. I have heard a rumor that there may be a new Big Bun exhaust rated at 94db. I may have to request that you quiet that thing up prior to riding on my turf. Good to see that some of these talks are making people at least think about it.

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted March 22, 2001 - 05:28 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel, I have a WB E-series also, I REALLY like the way it makes power, but I sure would like to have a quiet bike(KTM?).The problem is that I don't want to buy another system in hopes of quieter power, just to be disappointed. I am going to have to do something. I have tried less discs, and truthfully, it doesn't sound much quieter. What about the new FMF series, has anybody tried that yet? I read in another thread that the Big Gun isn't as quiet as it's cracked up to be.I just don't want to lose the rev of my bike with the E-series on it.Decisions,Decisions!!

------------------
00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

• mcarp

Posted March 23, 2001 - 07:04 AM

Bill- loud isn't terrible on the MX-track, yet off-road I'll go with Mike68 - prefer to be quieter. I have heard a 12 disc E-series YZ --they are very loud!

Loosing two disks may not be all that bad, either. You'll probably gain a little down low and in the early mid range, yet at the expense of some revs. YZ timing will fix that :)

Can anyone confirm if 10 discs will help Bill? He has the WB tapered header and WR :D timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LAWMAN

Posted March 23, 2001 - 12:19 PM

the big gun w/ quiet series on the 250f makes more & better power than the stocker & is much quieter. also, ask yourself the reason that tracks close. the main reason, at least in my area, is noise. you aren't safe just b/c you ride on tracks. ask the guy who owns the track if he's ever had problems with his neighbors, you might be surprised.

• Pete_Z

Posted March 24, 2001 - 05:39 AM

LAWMAN is right,the number one reason cited for closing MX tracks is noise.It even happened right around the corner from me way up here in good old politically-indifferent Canada.People didn't care about traffic,or dear mother earth being shredded,or the supposed negative social aspects of motorcycles,they just didn't like the noise. The owner of the track was a well-liked, prominent community figure.He had friends in the municipal government and even wrote a popular regular column for the local paper. In the end there was nothing he could do to fight the noise complaints and the track was closed permanently.True story. Fact - noise is bad for our sport. Fact - noise is technically "pollution" and people hate it. Fact - you can have just as much fun on a quiet bike as a loud one.

• mcarp

Posted March 24, 2001 - 05:48 AM

Interesting....the tracks I ride haven't had any complaints. But the neighbors are far away. Perhaps a baffle plate should be in EVERYONE's Future!!!!

• Pete_Z

Posted March 24, 2001 - 08:51 AM

mcarp,the real drag about that story is the fact that the neighbors who complained had only recently moved into the area.The track had been there for a while and was fairly well secluded.People started building new homes in close proximity to the track,knowing full well that it was there! Beware the subdivision - coming soon to a track near you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.