Top-end confirmation, YZ450F

7 replies to this topic
  • ThrakenH04

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:01 PM

Hi, im doing the top-end on my 450 and i wanted to know which procedure i do. A dry setup(no lubrication in the cylinder), or a wet setup(lubrication in the cylinder). Gonna need to know soon, got a race next week and everything is apart for the piston to go in. Thanks in advance.

• MNellis

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:19 PM

I don't know why you would do a dry setup in the first place. Oil that cylinder down and after you put the head on and get it torqued down pour lots of oil all over the cam, lifters and springs. Be sure to use a MolyLube type of material on the cams and lifters during assembly.

• 642MX

Posted September 17, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Use WD 40 in the cylinder when installing your top end. I've heard people say that if you use oil in the cylinder your rings may never seal correctly. WD 40 worked for me.

• bg10459

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:09 PM

I've used marvel mystery oil to assemble the cylinder on a 2 stroke, no complaints. Can't see why engine oil wouldn't be OK too. I've heard conflicting reports on the moly assembly lube in bikes with shared engine and transmission oil. Something about the moly and the clutch, I think. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted September 18, 2005 - 07:54 AM

I'll second the Marvel's oil based on a claim a very intelligent friend of mine made in that it is ashless when burned (which any oil will be burned in the cylinder, and not all are ashless)....

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2005 - 08:49 AM

I've heard people say that if you use oil in the cylinder your rings may never seal correctly.

Myth. Use oil. Lots of oil. Mop it down good, too. Just wipe out the excess above the piston before the head goes on so it doesn't smoke too much when you light it off.

Good lubrication is more important during break-in that it is later on. If your cylinder is finished right, the rings will seat within the first hour of operation. I broke in our 250F this last year on Mobil 1 MX4T, and it hasn't used any oil since I changed out the oil after the first 3 hours.

• ThrakenH04

Posted September 18, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Myth. Use oil. Lots of oil. Mop it down good, too. Just wipe out the excess above the piston before the head goes on so it doesn't smoke too much when you light it off.

Good lubrication is more important during break-in that it is later on. If your cylinder is finished right, the rings will seat within the first hour of operation. I broke in our 250F this last year on Mobil 1 MX4T, and it hasn't used any oil since I changed out the oil after the first 3 hours.

ok so ill just use the usual semi-synthetic that i put in the bike and make sure not to get any above the piston. I hope it doesnt smoke, never did a 4-stroke topend before, just 2-strokes

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2005 - 06:21 PM

Don't worry too much about the oil on top. That will burn off in less than a minute. Just make sure it's not excessively oily before you drop the head on, that's all.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.