2000 wr,, help with jetting in the uk...

7 replies to this topic
  • shawn_stobbs

Posted December 27, 2000 - 09:24 AM

the bike is 1 month old just ran it in then i fitted a DSP TITANAIUM TAPER HEADER SYSTEM seemed fine at first but now when you go to pull 3rd gear wheelies the bike seems to have a flat spot ... everthing else is stock the throttle stop has been replaced with the shorter one .the flat spot felt worse today as the weather is freezing , clear skys and high pressure....starts fine, ticks over great, revs out very well.its just the twisting of the throttle hard in the upper gears .... any advice

------------------

• Darren_Santilli

Posted December 27, 2000 - 11:09 AM

Hello Shawn....

I'd like to help with your jetting problem, but the little I know probably aint worth a squirt.

What I would like to know is where you got your dsp system from ?
Are you pleased with it? Did you get a chance to see / efeel the stainless system to compare the two?

Also where do you ride?

Darren
Buckinghamshire

2000WR blah blah

• James_Dean

Posted December 27, 2000 - 05:23 PM

Shawn,

What throttle position would you describe this as? This could be as simple as getting a #175-#180 main jet.

The jetting in my manual says you would have an OBDRQ needle in clip #4. This clip position would be close to too rich for most bikes. My gut tells me the colder temps and open exhaust made it lean, but the needle and clip position say DON'T go richer. :) What to do?? Do you currently have stock jetting? (#42 pilot/#165 main)

Try going both out and in by 1/4 turn on the pilot screw, this is slightly below the range of needle clip. Then check the needle code and clip position. Possibly try clip #3 with the OBDRQ.

James

• shawn_stobbs

Posted December 28, 2000 - 03:11 AM

Originally posted by shawn stobbs:
the bike is 1 month old just ran it in then i fitted a DSP TITANAIUM TAPER HEADER SYSTEM seemed fine at first but now when you go to pull 3rd gear wheelies the bike seems to have a flat spot ... everthing else is stock the throttle stop has been replaced with the shorter one .the flat spot felt worse today as the weather is freezing , clear skys and high pressure....starts fine, ticks over great, revs out very well.its just the twisting of the throttle hard in the upper gears .... any advice

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shawn_stobbs

Posted December 28, 2000 - 03:29 AM

thanks guys,the throttle position is about 1 3rd open then crack it all the way thats when the flat spot hits for about 1 secound then takes off .this has really spoilt my wheelies ..apart from that every thing else is fine the bike has done about 120 running in miles .just about to change the oil then it looks like the carb has to come off. darren i live in north dorset .pool motorcyles sold it ,a x doug henry works system .andrew who works there is a mechanic for one of the 125 mx grand prix teams ...did you know that the works yz 426 has a e.x.u.p valve .. the front header of my pipe has this bit blanked off..very light and very loud!!!well built ex condtion paid £325.. they can get them new will sort out there web page /tel for you thanks ...the jetting is stock on the wr its a european model 2000.

------------------

[This message has been edited by shawn stobbs (edited 12-28-2000).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 28, 2000 - 04:21 AM

I think you should just be glad that you can get out and ride! Everywhere around here (Herts) is so wet that I haven't been out for weeks. Hope the snow lasts till the weekend, though - that might be fun.

• Taffy

Posted December 29, 2000 - 12:41 PM

JD

remember we live on an island & the air is VERY moist. this leaves less room for oxygen correct? so come down one main jet if not two.

our pipes are more open than yours standard so again we don't need tthe giant leap for man kind!

sounds to me like lift the needle one clip.

Taffy

• James_Dean

Posted December 30, 2000 - 12:12 PM

Taffy,
Yes, leaner for moist air. Richer for sea level or cool air. Things offset if it's cooler.

The main looks small already with the "D" needle. Many would be using a 175-180. The needle would be in #3 in my bike with a free flowing exhaust.

BTW, here near Seattle Washington it is also wet and near sea level. There is moss on the roof and no dust for the next 7 months which is fine for me. :) The mud gets heavy but gets washed off in the water crossings. Rust is a big problem for the wheel bearings though.

James

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.