Fork Oil

11 replies to this topic
  • Eric Henion

Posted September 17, 2005 - 11:45 AM

OK TTers. my new fork springs will be here soon for my 650r. I ride in the AZ desert mostly trails and the street. My question for you all is which fork oil type and wt should I use for my area?

Thanks, Eric

• Supplicate

Posted September 17, 2005 - 01:21 PM

I use Golden Spectro Ultra Light 2.5wt suspension oil.

do any other manufacturers have ultra light weight suspension oil?

There is only one Spectro dealer in Wyoming and I currently have Bel Ray 10wt (way too heavy :banghead: )

• TREADMARKS

Posted September 17, 2005 - 02:35 PM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my forks. It is nice and light and lets the suspension move quickly. :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted September 17, 2005 - 02:47 PM

I use Golden Spectro Ultra Light 2.5wt suspension oil. It's real lite and gives a plush ride. It doesn't fade in hot weather at racing speeds. Maxima Light 3wt 75/395 weight is cheaper and is real close to the same "Feel". If your not riding in hot weather, racing then Golden spectro Cartridge fork fluid in light works well also. It's 85/150.
I have used the Ultra Slick Suspension fluid by RaceTech US 1 but, it is tooooo expensive.

http://www.racetech....d&showPage=dirt

Don't use Bell Ray; it sucks. It's hard on seals.

http://www.borynack....r650r_forks.htm

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

http://www.chaparral...28FC564EC3EF887

• BWB63

Posted September 17, 2005 - 02:48 PM

I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my forks. It is nice and light and lets the suspension move quickly. :banghead:

Tranny fluid is 7wt suspension fluid and we used that for years in the XR600R suspension front and back.

• Max Power

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:17 PM

THIS works great. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bosshog

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:00 PM

THIS works great. :banghead:

Is that the same stuff that comes in the bikes from the factory? If so, ya real good stuff. :applause:

• Max Power

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Is that the same stuff that comes in the bikes from the factory? If so, ya real good stuff. :banghead:

NO. We have never been able to identify that shite. What was that shite?

• bosshog

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:08 PM

NO. We have never been able to identify that shite. What was that shite?

I'm not sure either but I couldn't believe it was on purpose that they put it in there. Seriously I was shocked.

• BWB63

Posted September 17, 2005 - 09:19 PM

Is that the same stuff that comes in the bikes from the factory? If so, ya real good stuff. :banghead:

The stuff that comes in the 2000~2004 bikes is not the same stuff you by off the shelf, that says, Honda on it. The stuff that come in the bikes from Japan has animal by-products (whale oil) in it. Or salt from the sea air gets in there...whale snot is the official name for it.

• J_Daniels

Posted September 17, 2005 - 09:22 PM

I was appalled. Luckily, it wasn't a lot of extra work to replace the dry and pitted steering head bearings while I had the forks off to drain the factory mucus. Those bastards!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted September 18, 2005 - 08:51 AM

water?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.