Advise Please

5 replies to this topic
  • kdtg

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Hey Everyone

I need some help with the age old question on what bike to buy. I'm looking at XR 600's and XR 400's ( but I'm not ruling out WR's, KLX's or DR's). I'm what I would consider an intermediate to advanced rider. I have owned about two dozen different bikes including dirt, street and quads. They have included an XR500, YZ490, 500 Quadracer, and a couple of open class street bikes. I've also got quite a bit of time on a buddies CR500. I plan on riding mostly trails (both tight and fairly open) and the occational trip to the sand dunes. But I also want to put a dual sport kit on what ever bike I get and ride on the street about 30% of the time. I'll be buying a second set of tires for street use. I'll be riding both with the "guys" and the family( read: slow). This may be too much to ask of one bike I don't know. Buy the way I'm 5'9" and weigh about 180lbs with a 31" inseam. Let me know what you think.

• goblin127

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:59 AM

Sounds like a perfect match to a DRZ 400.

• anvilair

Posted September 17, 2005 - 07:02 AM

This is really your call. But, I will tell you about myself and hopefully it helps in your decision.
I rode xr250's and 400's throughout the late 80's and early 90's. I then took a break from dirt bikes and rode and raced street bikes. (GSXR 600's, 750,s, a Bandit 1200 and an R1.) I got back into the dirt about 2 years ago and bought an XR 250. Great for the trails, and for relearning the skills but low on power. I wanted something I could do exactly what you are planning on doing. Some tight trails, ride with my 3 year old on his quad, maybe dual sport a little, ride fire roads with my brothers at high speed, jump it higher than 5 feet without bottoming... basically a little of everything.
After researching a bunch and asking for lot's of opinions I settled on the 2005 wr 450, Yamaha. I am thrilled with it. Awesome machine and it performs in all situations very well. Most important for me is that it is awesome in the tight woods. I thought it would be to much bike, but it is very forgiving and the power is easy to manage. Plus it has e-start!!!!!
Just my .02, good luck in your search!!!! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_Daniels

Posted September 17, 2005 - 11:40 AM

That XR 400 will be a loser in the dunes but better in the woods. The 6oo is a tank with good power and reliability. KLRs are mainly for the road. All are old skool, meaning tough but heavy. Personally, I would look at the DRZ, CRF-X or WRs of the current generation. More finicky on maintainence, but they are lots more fun, not much more money.

• BrettJ

Posted September 18, 2005 - 05:52 AM

"As many dirtbike magizines have said if you want the perfect fun trial bike drz400e is ideal. A modern xr400, with more power better handeling and same reliability"--> When choosiing between the drz400 wr450 & crf450x think of it like this: wr & crf= race endro bikes lightning fast nimble but require more maintence and TLC. Drz, xr, klx = trail bikes made for fun which can take punishment have softer seats and suspension for comfort and require much less maintence. From what I have said decide what 'kind' of bike you want then reseach each brand from owners to see what they say about them. good luck

• marioct

Posted September 21, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Go with the xr. 400 0r 600, they are bulletproof!! My 600r is plated and never lets me down. I can be riding 2 up, alone, street or tight trails, it is excellent all across the board. I am 6 foot 155 lbs 32 inseam and have no problems throwing it around or jumping it. I get all excited when I pull it out of the shed, like when I was a teen with my first bike :banghead: Very fun

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.