Is it hard on a motor of a 426 to run on the road(worried about making it street lg)

17 replies to this topic
  • REWCBA

Posted September 16, 2005 - 02:41 PM

I was woundering about it being to much stress on the motor when it is running on the road. I dont want to tear it up.

• MisterMan

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:01 PM

off roads harder...just short shifter like a harley.

• 02YZ426

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:09 PM

Never had any problems with mine yet! Its a 426... you cant kill it. Just dont drive 10 miles on the rev limiter and you will be fine :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:13 PM

They're geared low, even when geared higher for the street. The result of that is what I call high "piston mileage". The engine is built to rev, and rev freely, but each revolution is a trip up and down the bore for the piston, and all the other parts of the engine, for that matter. So, it ends up being a question of how far the engine has to go in an hour's time almost as much as how much load it has to carry.

It's not exactly bad for it, but it isn't good for it either.

• 02YZ426

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:17 PM

I dont think its any worse for it than being on the rev limiter all day in the dirt.. I know a few other guys that have them street legaled too and so far I'm yet too see any engine damage due to street riding.

• phat_450f

Posted September 16, 2005 - 08:32 PM

yeah i would definetly put a smaller rear sprocket on it. that way you can just cruise on the highway without being at 7,000 rpm.....

• FZ1426

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:38 AM

In addition to what gray said, the street is harder on the drivetrain in general because there's no tire slippage like there is in the dirt. Harder on the clutch tranny, chain, etc. Also, in the dirt you're constantly raising and lowering rpm as opposed to more constant (high) speed operation on the street. A 426 will be a real pain in the ass on the street, go with lots of flywheel weight.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 17, 2005 - 11:02 AM

I was woundering about it being to much stress on the motor when it is running on the road. I dont want to tear it up.

I would be more concerned with overheating in stop and go traffic than anything....

• FZ1426

Posted September 17, 2005 - 04:17 PM

We get to split lanes in Cali. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted September 17, 2005 - 04:27 PM

We get to split lanes in Cali. :banghead:

Is that legal over there or do you just split lanes anyway? Cant do that here in Canada... well not when there are cops around anyhow.

• RADRick

Posted September 17, 2005 - 04:45 PM

Is that legal over there or do you just split lanes anyway? Cant do that here in Canada... well not when there are cops around anyhow.

Let's just say it's not illegal. Even the CHiPies do it. If a cop thinks you're doing it unsafely, though, they can cite you. The ticket will be for either unsafe lane change, following too closely or reckless driving. It all depends how badly you piss off the cop. If I couldn't lane split my Harley I wouldn't ride street much. It makes no sense to sit in traffic sucking fumes and adding to the congestion. It can be done safely and makes riding a bike in Cali an advantage, especially with gas at $3 a gallon. I used to ride 17 miles one way to work every day. In the car it took 75 minutes or more, depending on traffic. On the bike it took 25-30 minutes tops.

• fast426

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:04 PM

O.K. I'm an idiot. Whats splitting lanes? Could be i've never heard of it because I'm from Canada were it's apperantly illegal.

• RADRick

Posted September 17, 2005 - 10:39 PM

O.K. I'm an idiot. Whats splitting lanes? Could be i've never heard of it because I'm from Canada were it's apperantly illegal.

White lining, splitting lanes...they both refer to the practice of riding a street bike in between cars in traffic. Here we can do it on surface streets or the freeways. Makes getting through traffic a lot easier.

• djbiker

Posted September 18, 2005 - 01:05 PM

if you are wored about over heating set a low idle and an electric fan that should work i've got a fan on my ttr125

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:43 AM

if you are wored about over heating set a low idle and an electric fan that should work i've got a fan on my ttr125

That is too Funny!!! :banghead:

• kbenzon

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:20 PM

totally legal in cali to split lanes. i am not sure about where you ride but baja, glamis and in between where we ride sure as hell is more torture on a bike than the pavement. i wish i could street leagal my bike here.

• crashyz426

Posted November 14, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Ive got a 2001 yz 426 and have been thinking about making it street legal just so I can get to the trails easier? Im in TN anybody know what I need to do to get it done?

• Yankee500

Posted November 17, 2005 - 08:43 PM

If you run the bike at moderate to high revs (4k-6k) for long periods of time, your gonna be using more oil than you would in the dirt.

Higher RPM's demand more oil flow, and the motor does a good job of putting the oil where its needed. Some of this gets by the rings and valve guides. Check your oil level more often during road trips, you'll see a difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.