Leaking coolant

6 replies to this topic
  • bratz

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:20 AM

Hi all,

I'm just recently bought a 98' WR400 and just realized that it is leaking some coolant from a small hole near the waterpump cover.It only happen if I idle the bike maybe for a few minutes.Is this normal coz it will go away once i start riding.Please advice.

Thanks in advance

• clark4131

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:32 AM

That's the weep hole that is the telltale sign of a bad waterpump seal. You'll likely need a new inner and outer seal and perhaps the shaft as well. You may want to replace the impeller too. Boyesen might make a complete replacement setup for you, though I didn't see it on their website. Give 'em a call at (800) 441-1177...SC

• byggd

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:53 PM

What clark said :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bratz

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:40 PM

thanks byggd & clark4131

• bratz

Posted September 17, 2005 - 09:14 AM

by the way i intend to change the seals myself and thru reading previous threads i will just need the inner/outer seal and an impeller shaft(if it's has groove).Apart from draining the coolant before i start is there anything else i should take note of??thanks again

• 5valve

Posted September 18, 2005 - 08:38 AM

before doing job, be sure to have all parts at hand including new right engine cover gasket
number marks on the seals installed must face outwards
grease seal lips when installing

no need to drain engine oil, just lay bike on its left side and if not finished in a day, bolt on cover, oil wont leak out of waterpump hole

recommend a bearing change too
its standard size for aftermarket store, just be sure to remove plastic or metal circlips from the bearing, since it should be open type (balls must be seen)

• bratz

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:01 AM

before doing job, be sure to have all parts at hand including new right engine cover gasket
number marks on the seals installed must face outwards
grease seal lips when installing

no need to drain engine oil, just lay bike on its left side and if not finished in a day, bolt on cover, oil wont leak out of waterpump hole

recommend a bearing change too
its standard size for aftermarket store, just be sure to remove plastic or metal circlips from the bearing, since it should be open type (balls must be seen)

thanks 5valve...thats a big help...anymore advice before i start repairing over this weekend :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.