Routing a 'Honda style' front brake line on a 426

7 replies to this topic
  • Pincushion

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:14 AM

So I have this Ride Engineering stainless line and cannot get it to cooperate. Its running over the number plate and the clamped to my left fork guard just like it should be with RE's clamp. If I give the area below the clamp too much slack it rubs on my brake rotor and if I give the area above the clamp too much slack the brake line violently gets jerked out of the clamp when the forks fully extend (i.e. coming off a jump). How the heck should this thing be routed/clamped?
pics please!

Thx.

• grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:34 AM

The routing below the clamp needs to be as compact as possible so the line stays out of trouble. Above the clamp, there should be a guide ring at the lower left corner of the front number plate, and there should be an extension from the upper left of the plate to keep the hose from fouling the clutch cable, etc., as the fork extends. There should be a section of stiff plastic around the hose between the clamp on the fork guard and the loop at the number plate. If the line does not have one, you may want to try to fabricate something.

• Fastest1

Posted September 16, 2005 - 10:28 AM

If you are still running the fork guard guide on the lower it will snag on the line during compression and f&*^ it up. Either take the guide off entirely or trim off the piece that comes around the inside of the guard.

• Pincushion

Posted September 16, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I removed the bottom fork guard guides and mounted the line bracket just above that location. Gray, I dont have the loop on the number plate or the hard plastic hose that keeps the line safely away from the rotor.

I need to rethink my strategy. thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 16, 2005 - 02:32 PM

The plastic stiffener I mentioned runs up from the clamp to the middle of the number plate, like the one on the stock line. It keeps the hose running straight up the fork tube.

Sometimes, you might also get the hose to behave a little better between the clamp and caliper by twisting the hose slightly left or right and then clamping it down. That will affect the position the hose "wants" to sit in.

• RCannon

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:26 PM

What brand of line do you have???

The galfer model I used did this. I was angry! I desided to give Ride Engineering a piece of my mind.....

The gentleman that answered said..."Sir, did you know the ends will rotate?"""

I calmly said thank you and was very happy I did not get too abusive.

Will yours do the same?

• Pincushion

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:58 PM

I have the Ride Engineering line, but I dont think its the Galfer style. Not sure if it'll rotate or not, I'll check this weekend.

Gray,
thanks for the advice. The plastic piece I was referring to is located between the clamp and caliper and is pre-shaped to keep the hose from the rotor. My bro-in-laws CRF250X has this and it certainly works. Maybe I'll borrow it when he isn't looking.

Thanks again.

• RCannon

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:08 AM

If its a ride engineering line, I can almost promise you it will rotate. That was one of the advantages of going with them.

The fittings do not look like they will rotate, but they do.

Dont feel bad, I would never have noticed this on my own!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.