CR/CRF forks on a XR650R

11 replies to this topic
  • xr_stamm

Posted September 16, 2005 - 08:13 AM

In an effort to upgrade the front forks on my R whilst on a budget, I bought some original CRF triple clamps off ebay. Has anyone done this. I don't have much into the triple clamps, so I figure I can experiment. Everything looks like it would work. I should have them in a few days, just looking for a priori confirmation about my frankenstein. Do you think the CRF triple clamps will fit the XR frame and bearings?

• cholwerk

Posted September 16, 2005 - 08:20 AM

You will have to press in the XR steering stem, and use the XR steering head bearings. You will need the CR wheel/spacers/axel too.

• xr_stamm

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Do you know for a fact that I won't be able to use the CR stem and bearings? Is it the bearing that is the issue, or is it the stem? The length of the stem seems okay. I could see the bearing diameter being different, is that what you are saying?

• thouk

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:52 AM

I have done the conversion on my bike. You will need to use the Xr stem. The crf stem is too long. Also the bearings are different on the xr then from the crf. You need to use the crf wheel and axle. The triple clamps need to be modified for the steering stops. It is not much work but it can be done. I put a RTT Motorsports steering stabilizer on mine after I had done the frok fitup. Things can be done like I said but it just takes a little work. If you have any questions you can ask me. Tony

• cat0020

Posted September 16, 2005 - 10:00 AM

I went with a set of Ohlins USD forklegs on my XR650R, originally from a Cannondale X440.. re-valved and oiled for different weight.

Posted Image

• 4Takt

Posted September 16, 2005 - 11:04 AM

This company sells a trick looking conversion kit. I have no experience with it, just passing along the info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr_stamm

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

What about anodizing the CR triple clamps? I realize they are cast, which may exclude them from anodizing. Any experience here?

• khelton

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:36 PM

Cat0020, Great looking 650R, Man :banghead:

• Cruise283

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:44 PM

What's the weight difference between the two fork setups?

Posted September 16, 2005 - 09:41 PM

I would like to here fead back also! i am thinking of trying this swap just because there are alot of crf front ends around and there pretty cheap. but i've heard that the crf front end doesn't work very well on the 650R

• HC

Posted September 16, 2005 - 10:49 PM

i'll be selling some new ohlins, i have a stock crf triple and a CNC triple also, stuffs gotta go, too much stuff in the garage

• xr_stamm

Posted September 17, 2005 - 07:04 PM

I just got in the CRF triple clamp and tore off the stock XR triple. The lower bearing is the same between the two. The kicker is the upper bearing. The XR uses a smaller bearing on the top, where the CRF uses the same bearing top and bottom. This is why you need to swap the stem.

My question is the diameter of the stem in the lower triple clamp is different. Those that did this, did you have to bush the hole? (no pun intended)

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.