1st ride... It's a dog

4 replies to this topic
  • Sawsall

Posted September 16, 2005 - 05:14 AM

Got the 84 XL600R running and took it for a ride yesterday... DOGGY! esspecially on the top-end...

I took the carbs apart for a good cleaning and everything looked good, I didn't note the jet sizes or the location of the clips on the needles (dumass)

It has the stock exhaust that rattles... stuff broken off inside...

I'm cheap, but looking for a Supertrapp & a K&N filter... If the carbs are rich & causing the doggyness, that may help...

any oldtimes around with experience on the older 2 carb models know any other stuff to wake this one up?

• TimBrp

Posted September 16, 2005 - 05:50 AM

Have you done a compression check?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldturtle

Posted September 16, 2005 - 06:34 AM

We owned two older XLs. The carbs are difficult to tune. The needle on one carb (or both?, don't remember) has no clips so you must use shims to raise needle and richen mixture. Also the pilot screws may be plugged to prevent adjusting. Many owners would install Supertrapp and never richen carbs which resulted in very lean condition and burnt valves. Stay away from K&N filter. Twin Air is best for engine protection. If you install Supertrapp be sure to richen all circuits on both carbs. If you don't want to deal with difficult carbs then leave stock.

• Sawsall

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:32 AM

Haven't done a compression check, But from the kicker feel, it is good... way more than my triumph... it requires use of the decompression lever.

Tuning carbs shouldn't be a problem... I've done banks of 4 carbs on the old SOHC CB750 and other 4 cyl bikes...

Basically asking if there are any tips/tricks specific to this bike? Or if the tried & true stuff that is universal is it...

• Toolmaker

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:51 AM

Is the exhaust plugged ?

If you got all the moss out of the jets , I would take off the muffler and ride it and see if that makes any improvement , if so replace that, there's a stocker on ebay right now if you want to go low buck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.