Yamaha vs. KTM

39 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Lets face it! this is an expensive sport/hobby/pass time/thrill. Whether you have a KTM or a Yama. it can get expensive either way. I would choose a KTM because it has the best stock exhaust, brakes, clutch, handlebars...etc. There is no FREE mods you can do to the ktm. It is not needed. And after your free mods, now you have an anchore of a exhaust you have to replace on the Yama and this and that. Before you no it your paying the same for the Yama as I did for the KTM. Just nip it in the rear and buy the KTM. Plus it is a better feeling and controlable ride.

:banghead: I have to agree.
The finish is better on KTM's. They are lighter too.

• Crabtree426

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:22 PM

Basically, I started this thread to compare what I believe to be the two best brands for woods riding. Whether you are on a KTM or a Yamaha, you're probably on a beter bike then most other people. I like the KTM but I like my YZ426F better. In really tight stuff, I'd maybe lean towards my buddies KTM. I think I really need to find a 2006 WR450 to test out. Oh well, I'm probably a year or two off from a new bike anyways.

• posner

Posted October 12, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I currently have an 05 KTM MXC and have loved every minute of it. Out of the box, nothing compares to fit finish and quality. I added a skid plate and some bark busters and that's it. The bike handles amazingly well on all terrains. I mainly ride woods/trails with a very rare lap or two on a track. I have never felt that I needed another bike. The larger tank is a delight- I get about 90 miles on a tank. The 6th gear is quite nice, although I can say I have never "needed" it. After respringing the rear, the suspension is the nicest I have ridden. A regular riding buddy has a 426 that I have ridden. It(the 426)felt at least 20lbs heavier right away(we both noticed this). Suspension, stock hardware, and everything else on the KTM doesnt even compare...it is leagues nicer. As far as maintenance, my valves have never been out of spec(I only have about 25 hours on it however). OIl changes are a bit of a pain, but no worse than my 03 YZ450F.

All this being said, I am going to buy an 06 WR450! I have been dragging my feet for a couple weeks because I am afraid I am making a mistake by not buying a KTM. I buy a new bike each year, and I want to see if the Yamaha has it right. I know I am going to have to sink some $$ into the Yamaha, but this is one of the reasons I want it. Modding my stuff is almost as much fun as riding it! THe Ktm never needed a thing so I guess I feel a void. I will keep every one posted once I pick up the WR. I may have a 05 525 MXC for sale or perhaps an 06 WR450 :banghead:

POsner

• Chuck_Nelson

Posted October 12, 2005 - 06:24 PM

I just got a '06 WR450 and I have an '02 KTM 400EXC. The basic differences that I can see are that the KTM carries it's weight a bit lower, so it is easier to ride in the really tight stuff. Components are much better on the KTM, handlebars, controls, etc. KTM has better ground clearance.

The WR has a plusher ride, at least for me. Getting the KTM suspension to work right is a bitch. I had to go stiffer springs on both ends. I also had a bunch of blown fork seals on the KTM. That cleared up after I added seal savers.

The WR seat is worlds better than the three seats I tried on the KTM. The KTM totally screwed up my tail bone.

I had to add the optional fan to the KTM to keep it from boiling over. Unfortunately the thermostat for it is at the bottom of the left radiator right where it can get hit. I have had the electrical connectors break several times and I got a boil over every time due to the restriction that the fan adds to the right radiator. The last time this happened it developed a leak at the water pump which I have yet to fix. $35 in parts for that one.

One thing I didn't realize until the last couple of days is how much better the quality of the hardware is on the KTM. Allen bolts (KTM) vs. Phillips heads (WR). I've already stripped the head on one of the screws for the float bowl on the WR and I've only had it off twice. The hardware is also more consistent on the KTM size wise.

Oil changes are a snap on tke KTM and so is setting the valves. It took me nearly 2 hours to change the oil and filter on the WR yesterday. 15 minute job on the KTM. I don't know who came up with the oil circuit design for the WR, but I think they are on drugs.

I'm still dialing in the WR. The only thing I really hate so far is the front tire. A Dunlop 739 doesn't cut it in Ohio in the fall. I'm putting the Dunlop 773 from the KTM on tomorrow.

• Crabtree426

Posted October 12, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I currently have an 05 KTM MXC and have loved every minute of it. Out of the box, nothing compares to fit finish and quality. I added a skid plate and some bark busters and that's it. The bike handles amazingly well on all terrains. I mainly ride woods/trails with a very rare lap or two on a track. I have never felt that I needed another bike. The larger tank is a delight- I get about 90 miles on a tank. The 6th gear is quite nice, although I can say I have never "needed" it. After respringing the rear, the suspension is the nicest I have ridden. A regular riding buddy has a 426 that I have ridden. It(the 426)felt at least 20lbs heavier right away(we both noticed this). Suspension, stock hardware, and everything else on the KTM doesnt even compare...it is leagues nicer. As far as maintenance, my valves have never been out of spec(I only have about 25 hours on it however). OIl changes are a bit of a pain, but no worse than my 03 YZ450F.

All this being said, I am going to buy an 06 WR450! I have been dragging my feet for a couple weeks because I am afraid I am making a mistake by not buying a KTM. I buy a new bike each year, and I want to see if the Yamaha has it right. I know I am going to have to sink some $$ into the Yamaha, but this is one of the reasons I want it. Modding my stuff is almost as much fun as riding it! THe Ktm never needed a thing so I guess I feel a void. I will keep every one posted once I pick up the WR. I may have a 05 525 MXC for sale or perhaps an 06 WR450 :banghead:

POsner

Keep me posted for sure. My next bike is going to be a WR450 or a KTM450.

• poffer

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:01 AM

[quote name='Chuck_Nelson']
Oil changes are a snap on tke KTM and so is setting the valves. It took me nearly 2 hours to change the oil and filter on the WR yesterday. 15 minute job on the KTM. I don't know who came up with the oil circuit design for the WR, but I think they are on drugs.QUOTE]

2 hours to change oil and filter on the wr Maybe you that are on heavy drugs :banghead:

• Tau

Posted October 13, 2005 - 03:09 AM

Hi I have a Ktm 525 sx fitted with starter and exc gearbok. The bike has 12L tank, dampner and all the gaurds neded. the perfect bike my dream bike.The bike is fast and runs at 155km/h without strainingand has lots of legs left, however the bike is not as reliable as my friends wr450. I think we all know u gotta finish to win. the bike is awesom, but is to exopensive to keep running and i am tired of breaking down. I have ordered a 06 wr450 because i know it will be reliable.

tau

• tshe1

Posted October 13, 2005 - 07:10 AM

i think that K.T.M parts are expansive (at your country) is because yamaha have manufacture in the U.S and i don't think K.T.M does, for that reason you have gaps in prices and availability of parts.
i did not ride the K.T.M but from lots of friends i know that the suspensions on the yam are better. :banghead:

• drzjay400e

Posted October 13, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Well genius, you must enjoy sitting on a pos suspension vs a quility one.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 13, 2005 - 10:57 PM

These threads are always a waste of time... Yamaha and KTM have both done a great job in the last couple of years, I'd be happy with either one...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • elton

Posted October 14, 2005 - 04:20 PM

What's up Dan :banghead:; you got me started on this KTM 2-stroke thing -- its become a disease :banghead:

Elton

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 14, 2005 - 05:20 PM

Check out the new 450XC (not EXC)! It is supposed to be the shiznit with a short stroke motor! I have done a little reading and right now, that is the only Orange bike that I would consider trading my WR for.

Most of what I have read in this post is pretty consistent with my thoughts. KTM makes a great bike but I can out pull any of my buddys on their EXC 450's, the power in the Yamaha is superior :banghead:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 14, 2005 - 06:05 PM

...It took me nearly 2 hours to change the oil and filter on the WR yesterday. 15 minute job on the KTM...

Wow, I do my 450 is about 15 minutes. I have heard oil changes ont he KTM are tougher, ie several filters etc. :banghead:

• Blaster21996

Posted October 14, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Well genius, you must enjoy sitting on a pos suspension vs a quility one.

Hey now you racist ba_tard, some of us are not in favor of anything called "WHITE POWER"! :banghead:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:48 AM

What's up Dan :banghead:; you got me started on this KTM 2-stroke thing -- its become a disease :lol:

Elton

:banghead: :lol:
Oh man Elton, I would love to have your 300xc!! (as my second bike of course)... :lol:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 15, 2005 - 06:58 AM

Oil changes are a snap on tke KTM and so is setting the valves. It took me nearly 2 hours to change the oil and filter on the WR yesterday. 15 minute job on the KTM.

Chuck, You must be been smokin some good stuff there... I'm pretty sure my 8 year old daughter could do a complete oil and filter change in less than 15 minutes on my WR... I can do a clean oil change in about 5.... I have several friends with KTMs, they love their bikes but they have never bragged about how much quicker their oil changes go, actually it's something they complain about....

• elton

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:08 AM

:banghead: :banghead:
Oh man Elton, I would love to have your 300xc!! (as my second bike of course)... :lol:

I know you had a 300mxc; but given where you ride, I'd assume you would want the wide-ratio tranny of the exc/xcw.

I thought I needed a wide-ratio, but realized that in the GNCC style format I ride, I don't. I went looking to get a 250sx, but ended up trading my 05 300exc for the 300xc. The taller 1st and close-ratio allows for power all the time without pegging the revs, which can get me into trouble in the tight. The xc has a quasi sx suspension, setup for GNCC racing, which is nice also.

The 6-speed, ultra light 200exc is serious fun; love the explosive power and hit (its why I considered a 250sx) -- a great 2nd bike :lol:

Elton

• posner

Posted October 15, 2005 - 07:16 AM

Well I went out last night and picked up an 06 WR 450. I will spend the afternoon doing my mods and then head out to test ride it. I will say, right away the WR feel like a childs bike in comparison to the KTM. Very narrow and petite. I will reserve further comment until I get out on the WR for a spin.

POsner

• Crabtree426

Posted October 16, 2005 - 07:43 PM

Well I went out last night and picked up an 06 WR 450. I will spend the afternoon doing my mods and then head out to test ride it. I will say, right away the WR feel like a childs bike in comparison to the KTM. Very narrow and petite. I will reserve further comment until I get out on the WR for a spin.

POsner

Let us know how you like it after the test ride.

• muddza

Posted October 19, 2005 - 10:18 PM

I rode my mates 525EXC a couple of weekends back and loved the ride, I went to the KTM dealer to trade my '05' YZ450 the monday that followed. I Drove away laughing at the thought of riding a pumpkin.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.