Starting Problems On My 05 Wr450

10 replies to this topic
  • CEM45

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:36 PM

I GOT MY NEW 05 3 MONTHS AGO FROM A DEALER IN HAWAII, AND EVER SINCE THEN IT SEEMS LIKE THE BATTERY WOULD NOT HAVE ENOUGH JUICE TO START THE BIKE. SO I PUT A NEW BATTERY IN AND I WORKED GOOD FOR A FEW STARTS AND THEN STARTED GETTING TOO WEAK TO START THE BIKE. I READ A POST ON THUMPERTALK ABOUT A WEAK STARTER PROBLEM THAT WENT AWAY AFTER BREAKIN. I STILL HAVE THAT STARTER PROBLEM WITH OVER 400 MILES ON THE BIKE. ALSO WHEN THE BIKE WARMS UP IT SEEMS LIKE THE STARTER CLUTCH STARTS SLIPPING MAKING A FUNNY GRINDING NOISE???? CAN ANYONE HELP?? ALOHA

• bg10459

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:50 PM

Not sure if it helps, but my bike was like that when I got it. If I ride a lot, it will re-charge the battery. I then did the 04 starter upgrade, along with jetting the pilot, and it seems to start much better. Like a lot of people, I usually kick the first ride of the day. After about 20 minutes of riding it's got the juice it needs.

• CEM45

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:55 PM

What is the 04 starter upgrade? Do you have a link to it. Thanks for your help.

• dman450f

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:04 PM

What is the 04 starter upgrade? Do you have a link to it. Thanks for your help.

if you have the 05 you dont need a starter upgrade ...you may have a charging problem , or you dont ride it enough...jetting wil help it start better too... :banghead:

• CEM45

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the input, Ive tried disconnecting the headlamp during a ride. I also started charging the battery be for each ride but still after the 2nd start the starter slows down. Maybe I need to get a diesel style battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:04 AM

ALSO WHEN THE BIKE WARMS UP IT SEEMS LIKE THE STARTER CLUTCH STARTS SLIPPING MAKING A FUNNY GRINDING NOISE???? CAN ANYONE HELP?? ALOHA

:banghead:

I've never heard of this... Something's not right.. Almost sounds like your clutch is halfway engaged.

Tell us more...

• Blaster21996

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:05 AM

I GOT MY NEW 05 3 MONTHS AGO FROM A DEALER IN HAWAII, AND EVER SINCE THEN IT SEEMS LIKE THE BATTERY WOULD NOT HAVE ENOUGH JUICE TO START THE BIKE. SO I PUT A NEW BATTERY IN AND I WORKED GOOD FOR A FEW STARTS AND THEN STARTED GETTING TOO WEAK TO START THE BIKE. I READ A POST ON THUMPERTALK ABOUT A WEAK STARTER PROBLEM THAT WENT AWAY AFTER BREAKIN. I STILL HAVE THAT STARTER PROBLEM WITH OVER 400 MILES ON THE BIKE. ALSO WHEN THE BIKE WARMS UP IT SEEMS LIKE THE STARTER CLUTCH STARTS SLIPPING MAKING A FUNNY GRINDING NOISE???? CAN ANYONE HELP?? ALOHA

When I posted this problem on this site, I was the only poster with a 05 starter issue, so I did not get much help here. The only caution I would give you, is, make sure your bike is jetted well, if you can kick start it with one kick, then I will guarantee your starter is the problem. If not, try to get it jetted to kick in one kick. If after you get it to kick start without any problems then it has to be a starter problem!

I went down the same rode with my 05'. Drain the battery, replaced the battery. Buy a battery trickle charger hook it up after every ride, boom, same thing every time, it would drain the battery :banghead: . Finally it started making a bad grinding sound, then she gave up the ship and I had to replace it. It is easy to replace, but costly for the part. I spent at least 2 hours searching all the dealer internet sites, till I found one that sells it for $172.00. All the other dealers wanted from $220.00-$330.00. My bike, now starts in one revolution without the choke every time, even after a get-off :applause: !

GOOD LUCK

• NJONES

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:23 AM

Not sure if this is related, but I had some of the same issues with my 05 450 and just had to spend 150 to figure out the problem. So if you can check the part I have listed it might save you and others some problems since I was told it's a faulty part.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=290846

• CEM45

Posted September 27, 2005 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the input Ive been out awhile.

I will check on the starterclutch and the regulator fixes ASAP as I don't its the jetting (one kick starts no problem). I will reply with the remedy.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 27, 2005 - 12:12 PM

I've had the same issue with my 04'. First kick starts are consitent but battery issues and it seems that the starter turns too slow. I've a couple other things that have not been mentioned yet.

1. Poor coonections on the motor brushes in the starter. Apparently you can disassemble the starter and re-solder these connection for less resistance= less voltage drop.

2. End bearing in starter motor bad.

I have not had time to try anything yet but I am eager to get into and resolve the issue. Apparently more eager than Yamaha has been :applause:

Good luck to all of us that share this problem, and hopefully Yamaha can produce one of these awesome off road bikes with a comprable e-start system in 06' :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 27, 2005 - 12:13 PM

I've had the same issue with my 04'. First kick starts are consitent but battery issues and it seems that the starter turns too slow. I've a couple other things that have not been mentioned yet.

1. Poor coonections on the motor brushes in the starter. Apparently you can disassemble the starter and re-solder these connection for less resistance= less voltage drop.

2. End bearing in starter motor bad.

I have not had time to try anything yet but I am eager to get into and resolve the issue. Apparently more eager than Yamaha has been :applause:

Good luck to all of us that share this problem, and hopefully Yamaha can produce one of these awesome off road bikes with a comprable e-start system in 06' :banghead:

Wow spell check is really an awesome tool :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.