My 1st day out on the WR426 !!!

17 replies to this topic
  • 6fiddy

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:03 PM

:banghead: I just had to post this since I didnt get any buddies to ride with me sunday. I finally got the mods done on th wr426 and put fresh tires, plug, oil, filter, you know, everything that needed to be done. See, i havent ridden this bike yet and ive had it for 3 weeks and getting it right for the "honeymoon-in-the-woods" so to speak and I am just freaked out by how well this bike does everything! The power is almost to much! Braking is great, suspension rocks, the only thing i didnt like was my hands going "numb" after an hour or so of riding. I put the old bars in the trash and put some thick aftermarket bars on as well as wacker hand guards. Hopefully that will take care of the numbness.
Anyway, I rode with a guy my age (39) he had a new crf250 and he could hang with me on the trails, but when i had some room to go WFO i was gone baby! I was riding conservativly too bieng new to this machine. Im not the best rider, i would sat Im fair to medium. This machine will help make you a better rider because you can concentrate more on the trails and less on the shifting/braking due to the wide ratio trans and hi compression/engine braking. Coming off a tricked out xr650r and on to the WR426, the only thing I can say to myself is why did i wait to get this BMF of a bike.

• Victor Champion

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:29 PM

I like mine too.

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Maybe the numb hands if from a death grip on the bars..... I know it happened to my the first time I took my 426 out after coming of a KLR250 :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, hold on with your legs and not your arms!

• tacoma426

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:02 PM

i dont have a wr but i am very happy with the power that my 426 put out :banghead: :applause:

• 6fiddy

Posted September 16, 2005 - 05:56 AM

Maybe the numb hands if from a death grip on the bars..... I know it happened to my the first time I took my 426 out after coming of a KLR250 :banghead:

Death Grip, Maybe thats it! The new bars definatly send less vibe thru my arms. Same thing with the xr650r. I replaced the upper clamp, put on fat bars and the vibe was gone. Huge comfort factor! I saw a snake weaving accross the trial while riding and i blipped the thottle hard and threw the snake in the air behind me. I saw the rider behind me throw his leg out while making a real quick turn to avoid getting a face full of snake. I wish i had it on video...

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted September 16, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I loved my '01 426. My riding bud that I sold it to loves it also. I wouldn't have sold it even if the starting procedure wasn't such a knocker. Only gripe with the bike.

• byggd

Posted September 16, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Death Grip, Maybe thats it! The new bars definatly send less vibe thru my arms. Same thing with the xr650r. I replaced the upper clamp, put on fat bars and the vibe was gone. Huge comfort factor! I saw a snake weaving accross the trial while riding and i blipped the thottle hard and threw the snake in the air behind me. I saw the rider behind me throw his leg out while making a real quick turn to avoid getting a face full of snake. I wish i had it on video...

Yeah they difinatly have the ability to roost on demand :banghead: a lot of guys in here have a 450 and and I had one for a year but sold it because of the red sticker and I wasn't about to shell out the $$ for the 05. Don't get me wrong, the 450 is a nice bike but it has very little over the 426, at least for the riding I do.... IMO :lol:

I loved my '01 426. My riding bud that I sold it to loves it also. I wouldn't have sold it even if the starting procedure wasn't such a knocker. Only gripe with the bike.

Once you do the 450 cam mod it's almost like kicking a 2-smoker :applause:

• F6dood

Posted September 16, 2005 - 05:27 PM

The only thing I don't like about my 02 WR426 is that it sits around in the garage too much. Other than that, it's the Bomb !!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 6fiddy

Posted September 17, 2005 - 05:07 AM

its not bad at all once you release the decomp lever about an inch under top dead center...

• BergArabia

Posted September 17, 2005 - 05:15 AM

Yeah, hold on with your legs and not your arms!

Yeah I have the same problem and have been given the same advice.. I was told to turn the brake levers forward to encourage me to stand up and hold with my knees...

hate arm pump.. Love the bike... (oh mine is a YZ450 but same idea right?)

• SPDFRK450

Posted September 17, 2005 - 06:13 AM

My older brother has the 250F, and I got the 426. Whenever I want to feel better about my bike I just get on his and fall asleep. His comment on my 426 is "It feels like its gonna rip my arms off". Yep thats just somethin ya gotta get used to.

• JRAMBO

Posted September 17, 2005 - 02:24 PM

I have an 02 WR 426 with all the mods all I can sya is AWESOME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6fiddy

Posted September 19, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Yeah I have the same problem and have been given the same advice.. I was told to turn the brake levers forward to encourage me to stand up and hold with my knees...

hate arm pump.. Love the bike... (oh mine is a YZ450 but same idea right?)

new handlebars eliminated the tingling/numbness... thicker bars made a BIG difference! :banghead:

• yfzut

Posted September 19, 2005 - 03:47 PM

i just got mine saturday an 02 yz426 with a titanium fmf, and wow this thing moves it feels a bit qiucker than my friends 450,s.

• buckwhylin

Posted May 29, 2009 - 08:20 PM

The 426 is a awesome bike I ride mine every weekend and love the power that it pours out.

• Summit

Posted May 30, 2009 - 07:01 PM

My bro rides an 01 yz 426 for trails and it's an animal!!!!

• stev0

Posted May 31, 2009 - 10:00 AM

Yeah they difinatly have the ability to roost on demand :crazy: a lot of guys in here have a 450 and and I had one for a year but sold it because of the red sticker and I wasn't about to shell out the $$ for the 05. Don't get me wrong, the 450 is a nice bike but it has very little over the 426, at least for the riding I do.... IMO :lol:

Once you do the 450 cam mod it's almost like kicking a 2-smoker
:eek:

cam mod?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.