05 450 cam in an 01 426???

7 replies to this topic
  • Havasusteve

Posted September 15, 2005 - 01:16 PM

Greetings..
First time posting. I love my 01 426, but have issues with hot starting & kicking that beast over.

I know that these bikes are known for this issue. I have been told that installing the 05 450 cam (w/auto decompression) might help. Anyone know if it will work?? Or has done it?

Lastly, what fix have any of you done to resolve the hard start issue? I am just about to give up on her, and see about getting another year w/electric start..That wouldn't be a bad thing though..The "Little Lady" has told me to try and fix the problem without buying another bike.

Thanks for the input ahead of time

havasusteve
01 wr426
04 Honda trx400

• Matty05

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:55 PM

My good mate has a '01 wr426, it starts first kick every time with out fail.
Just get the jetting nailed and don't touch the throttle when kicking.

• Vetmxrider

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:52 PM

I did the 450 cam swap in my 2002 YZ426 6-7 months ago and it was very easy to complete and I had never even checked my valves. Don't wait, just do the cam swap and enjoy! Check the YZ400/426/450 forum for lots of information on this mod. Make sure you use a torque wrench that measures in inch pounds NOT foot pounds to torque the four bolts that hold the cam caps. After you check your valves with the new cam you will need to go to your dealer to buy/order the correct shims to give you the right clearance.
Good luck. :banghead:
Ed

• Havasusteve

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:08 PM

Great...
The 450 cam you used has the decompression capability?? In other words, does your 02 kick-over easier??

Thanks

Havasusteve
01 wr426
04 trx400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vetmxrider

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Yes it does have the auto decompression feature and yes, it is does kick over easy. It also allows the bike to be "bump" started should you stall your bike while brake sliding into a corner or on a down hill.
Ed

• Havasusteve

Posted September 15, 2005 - 08:13 PM

Great...Thanks for the info Ed...

Steve :banghead:

• tp3dxf

Posted September 15, 2005 - 09:52 PM

I have a 01WR426 with a Hotcams auto deco cam. I it has been a good upgrade. I like not having to go thur the "routine" when starting the bike. It still takes a healthy kick to get it over but no more messing with the deco lever. I went the Hotcams route over the WR450 cam because I was a bit concerned about how the cam chain seemed to be a bit different size on the 05 as opposed to the 01. Maybe it's not a big deal. I just wanted something that was made for my specific engine.

As far as your hot starting issue that sounds more like a carb jetting or a dirty carb issue. I have to say I race dez and have stalled my bike many times in very hot races and I usually never have to reach for the hot start button. I mostly have to do it after a crash rather then just a simple stall. I wouldn't be surprised if a auto deco cam didn't solve that problem. That being said do the cam mod it's worth it for sure.

• byggd

Posted September 16, 2005 - 03:54 AM

Greetings..
First time posting. I love my 01 426, but have issues with hot starting & kicking that beast over.

I know that these bikes are known for this issue. I have been told that installing the 05 450 cam (w/auto decompression) might help. Anyone know if it will work?? Or has done it?

Lastly, what fix have any of you done to resolve the hard start issue? I am just about to give up on her, and see about getting another year w/electric start..That wouldn't be a bad thing though..The "Little Lady" has told me to try and fix the problem without buying another bike.

Thanks for the input ahead of time

havasusteve
01 wr426
04 Honda trx400

I have a 02 wr426.....the instructions I have said to use a 03 yz450 ex cam rather than an 05.....but maybe they are the same :banghead: That being said it was the best mod I have done to date :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.