Coolant Overflow Tank for the YZF

10 replies to this topic
  • MotoGoalie

Posted September 15, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Brought to you by Redneck engineering and Budwieser.

Materials are ;

Turkey baster (buy it at wal-mart of grocery store)
Chair bumper (buy it at Ace hardware in hooks and fasteners aisle, take your baster with fact I think they sell them there too. Its a tight fit, which is good)
Small length of heavy duty fuel hose, 1/4 or 1/2 ID to fit over baster and Radiator overflow tube.

3 small zip ties to secure that.

4 or so zip ties to secure baster to inside of radiator louvers.

WD-40 nozzle bent into a U for venting. If you don't vent this thing it will pop apart.

It works perfectly. I've filled it up in several enduros this year from low and slow clutch slipping situations. When the engine cools down it receives the coolant back and you never need to fear the risk of grenading your motor again.

• biznet1

Posted September 15, 2005 - 12:45 PM

From a Georgia cracker living in Alabama, that is one fine piece of redneckmanship. You need more duct tape and a coat hanger though, at least for aesthetic purposes. :banghead:

Seriously, good job. It will be copied for years to come.

• MotoGoalie

Posted September 15, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I got the idea from the CRF dudes.

In between reading all thier 'my bike just blew up' threads.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:05 PM

Ditch the zip-ties and use Duct-Tape over wire instead. :banghead:

Some points:

> To retrieve the coolant, the hose that runs from the radiator to the catch bottle has to reach to the bottom, or enter at the bottom.

> In order for the vacuum created in the cooling system by contracting coolant to pull back the expelled coolant, there cannot be any air leakage between the cap and the top of the radiator neck. If your recovery system doesn't work, it may be leaking at that point. You can either make a small gasket out of thin gasket stock, or use a cap from a WR.

• MisterMan

Posted September 15, 2005 - 03:15 PM

see garrage 4 mine

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gbourgeau

Posted September 18, 2005 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know if you can fit a wr overflow coolant tank onto a yz and make it work? Be kinda nice to have it, I can boil mine over on some tight trails. Rather than redneck it, I'd love to have oem....

• yzf450jack

Posted September 18, 2005 - 06:05 PM

Sure you just have to do a little carving on the fender I think I payed $ 20.00 brand new for it and it's OEM 5GS-21871-00-00

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 19, 2005 - 06:00 PM

can someone explain a little better please. i don't understand which over flow tube you hook the baster to, and then the fuel tubing, what?

• FlashGordon

Posted September 19, 2005 - 07:27 PM

If you want a WR bottle, get it from Mr Cycle. Picked one up for under $10. Needed to make a hook clamp for the front mount, and grind the side cover a bit, but it was pretty easy. Misses my PMB Kick Stand too.

• cowboyona426

Posted September 21, 2005 - 01:26 PM

can someone explain a little better please. i don't understand which over flow tube you hook the baster to, and then the fuel tubing, what?

The stock overflow on the YZ is the clear tube coming off the filler neck, it runs down the front frame rails and dumps out somewhere in the front of the motor. Just jerk that off and run the fuel line from the bottom of the baster to the fitting on the filler neck and you're good to go.

I like the idea of the WR puke tank, but I don't like having it clear on the back of the bike. I'm going to try and come up with something clever someday as well. Nice work MotoGoalie!

• targetdrone

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:57 PM

I know I'm dredging up an older post, but I just DS'd my YZ and wanted to make this mod clean and small. How much volume is needed?

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.