Engine Ice---Worth the $$$

31 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 17, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Engine Ice is nothing but deionized water and propylene glycol.

You can obtain the VERY same results by going to the auto store and buying a gallon of propylene glycol (the non-toxic sort of anti-freeze) and a gallon of distilled water.
You will have at that point about 2 gallons of coolant for approx $9.00

OR you can go out and buy Engine Ice that has taken the mixing out of the picture....and spend $70-80 bucks on two gallons....
Let's do the math!

Don't overlook the fact that EI also contains a wetting agent, which, of course, can always be added to a home brew, and that there is a difference between ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

As far as the price, my half-gallon jug is marked at $14, rounded up. That means 2 gallons would have been $56, not $80. Sounds like you shop at the wrong parts store. It is, of course pricier than doing it yourself, but I have enough for both bikes for $5 extra, and I don't really have use for the left-over 1 1/2 gallons of mix.

• DigilubeJay

Posted September 18, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Actually, Dave states that there is no surfactant added to the mix. He claims the properties of the propylene glycol are sufficient, which I agree with. It may well contain a dispersant, he didn't say. I don't think that the addition of a surfactant (like Water Wetter) to a glycol mix helps much at all. I think there is definitely benefit from using a surfactant with clean water alone. Doubt I would risk forgetting about not having ant-freeze unless I lived below Juarez though.

I was simply going by what the poster eluded to what he paid, and knowing EI comes in 1.2gal jugs...and having seen it at $17...
LOL...I do not shop for EI anywhere.

Engine Ice is a quality product, but it is a convenience item. It provides nothing new.

*tip...only mix what home brew you need. both propylene glycol and water have fantastic shelf lives. :banghead:

• DigilubeJay

Posted September 18, 2005 - 06:53 AM

You can obtain the VERY same results by going to the auto store and buying a gallon of propylene glycol (the non-toxic sort of anti-freeze) and a gallon of distilled water.

In case anyone didn't catch it...Propylene Glycol is a type of anti-freeze/coolant that is non-toxic. It is more pet friendly than the conventional Ethylene Glycol type of coolants, which are deadly poisonous.

I feel all responsible riders should use the less harmful propylene mixtures, due to our interaction with the environment.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2005 - 08:41 AM

Doubt I would risk forgetting about not having ant-freeze unless I lived below Juarez though.

:banghead: Not being a resident of the great white north, I forget that occasionally. Truth is, here in coastal San Diego County, if a bike is stored in a garage, you can run straight water.

Whether it's less toxic or not, and there is some dispute about the use of that term with propylene glycol, it seems to work better as a coolant, which is what interested me about it in the first place.

• MisterMan

Posted September 18, 2005 - 11:37 AM

ENGINE ICE='S okay, not bad, not awesome, better than stock.

• djbiker

Posted September 18, 2005 - 01:01 PM

enigen ice really works i run themoder decals tells the temp of each part i've got one on each rad and on the block it cooled the rads by about 35degress and the block by about 15-20

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_Rowlee

Posted September 18, 2005 - 07:17 PM

:banghead: I had problems with over heating in the tight woods , my 98 400 would boil , with engine ice it doesn't !!! NOTHING ELSE TO SAY :applause:

• 2000YZ426dude

Posted September 19, 2005 - 03:33 PM

now i heard that engine ice doesn't have anything that lubes your waterpump is this true? thought about buying it using it but don't wanna get it if it doesn't lube your waterpump.. i tried putting some water weeter in mine havent really notice all that much.. but i bought 2cool engine oil so i'm gonna try that stuff out see if it works :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:23 PM

The bearing on the water pump shaft is lubed by engine oil. The only thing there is for the coolant to lubricate is the water side seal. Any glycol based coolant of whatever flavor or water with a wetting agent will be slipperier than water alone. It shouldn't be a worry.

• Chazlom

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Works great for me. Running it for about a year now.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 21, 2005 - 05:13 AM

thats it!! i'm gonna buy some right now. :banghead:

iether that or evans stuff. probably engine ice. my coolant is now a different colour than before :applause:

• flintlock28

Posted September 21, 2005 - 09:15 AM

If you're going to run the E.I., make sure you flush out all the old coolant first. Being that I'm anal about my bike, I bought a gallon of distilled water which I used to flush out any remnants off the old normal Antifreeze/water combo. I figured the distilled wouldn't leave behind any mineral deposits.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.