whats the limit??

14 replies to this topic
  • fman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Ok this probably won't make me popular. A year ago I was a Yamaha supporter. I had an 01 wr250 which taught me more about riding than I thought was possible which reached its its life expectancy at 6500km (no valve clearance) I then traded to an 03 450 with the magic button. apart from the 3 months when I couldn't get parts to fix the starter clutch it was heaven........ until at about 7000km the gearbox chose to fail. No 5th gear damaged 3rd dogs and syncro's bent shift forks etc. I guess even more scary when we opened it up was the general degradation of the entire internals, worn gears worn timing chain worn valves sad piston, rings and all things not seen from the outside. Needless to say I bailed. I guess this post is about what do you consider reasonable mileage for an enduro? bike. My experience is that 6-7k is the reasonable life expectancy of the best 4 stroke currently on the market. As consumers are we cool with this? Is my experience unusal? I know someone will tell me they got 250000k out of their crf with only a fuel top up....... Don't get me wrong I still believe the wr 450 has the best engine ever installed in a dirt bike. I'm just unsure of the price we all pay for this pleasure.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 15, 2005 - 05:32 AM

The 5th gear problem has been plaguing the WR from inception, some guys have had problems and others haven't. Two of my WRs have had the 5th gear go out my 01 and my 03. The 03 model has had a fair share of problems like the famous Woodruff key on the flywheel and weak starting systems, (some clutch problems too). If addressed with simple fixes the 03 model WR is a champ. But there's really no fix for the 5th gear breakage. It's seems as though the problem was fixed somewhere between 04 and 05. Also, I believe that high speed riding or heavy street riding puts more stress on the gears.

Sorry you're having problems...
Dan

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 11:33 AM

What type of riding do you do, and what is your maintenance regimen? 7000km sounds like a lot of use on a dirt bike, without a top end rebuild.

I rebuild my KX250 every 90 hours, and I am supposed to do it every 40 or so. And it only runs 8.something to 1 compression, and lower revs, but it does fire twice as often...

• Matty05

Posted September 15, 2005 - 04:22 PM

You are supposed to replace valves in a crf every 15hrs or so.
If you don't, they will replace themselves :banghead:

7000kms is a long time with out any engine maintainence.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 15, 2005 - 06:47 PM

I was thinking about 7k just a little while ago while out in the workshop wrenching, and averaging 35kph, that equates to 200 hours. That is a lot of time on a top end with no attention...

• flatnacker

Posted September 15, 2005 - 07:17 PM

What type of riding do you do, and what is your maintenance regimen? 7000km sounds like a lot of use on a dirt bike, without a top end rebuild.

I rebuild my KX250 every 90 hours, and I am supposed to do it every 40 or so. And it only runs 8.something to 1 compression, and lower revs, but it does fire twice as often...

Rebuilding a 2stroke KX is a little different to a 4 banger mate!!!

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 16, 2005 - 12:52 PM

Rebuilding a 2stroke KX is a little different to a 4 banger mate!!!

Agreed. I don't look forward to the first rebuild of the WR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted September 16, 2005 - 02:01 PM

7000km's is about right. Thats what I got out of my 426. The KTM boys are getting just over 10K as a general rule. By 7000kms on the yammy, the camchain has :censored:ed the crankshaft too, so you'll have to do the boittom end aswell. If I had my time over again, I would go with a KTM 4 stroke. I think the EXC range of bikes have sacrificed engine performance just slightly to get a gain in reliability. I dont know about the rest of you guys, but I'd be happy with less power and more reliability. No, I'm not going to buy an XR!. :banghead: I still need the light weight and good suspension. If the DRZ could loose a few pounds it'd be a great bike. But I reckon my next ride will be a 300EXC or similar.

• JTWR450

Posted September 16, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Is there a diiference between the US Aussie models on the WR's? I would imagine it has to be the same motor but what about rev limiters, smog pumps, oil being used, fuel etc. I would think that all this plays into the life of a motor. I would also think the bikes in Australia might work a bit harder due to the tempurature being a bit warmer there as compared to the U.S. (generally speaking of course). if my math is correct, and it most likely is not (2.2 KM's to a mile), then my WR should grenade in about another 1800 miles or so. That is not good!!! :banghead:

• SXP

Posted September 16, 2005 - 02:43 PM

if my math is correct, and it most likely is not (2.2 KM's to a mile), then my WR should grenade in about another 1800 miles or so. That is not good!!! :banghead:

1.6 km = 1 mile

• Matty05

Posted September 16, 2005 - 07:24 PM

2.2kms to a nautical mile.

• fman

Posted September 19, 2005 - 04:30 AM

So now we're talking about boats?? Both bikes had strict maintenance programs, 300km oil changes regular valve clearance checks clean filters etc. but no internal parts, except the 450's box.

• Joe Reitman

Posted September 21, 2005 - 01:36 PM

300 road km or street km? That is a lot of miles if dirt riding...

• Indy_WR450

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:13 PM

12,000 miles or 20,000. km and the motor needs a complete top end including valves, crank, and clutch overhaul. :banghead:

• jwriott

Posted September 21, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I don't really see how you can quantify this with a number like that. Some people run the living piss out of their bikes, some don't. Some ride on nice graded fire roads, some run all rocky nasty singletrack, some run deep sand WFO the majority of the time. Some guys on a similar bike may have a weight range of 140 lbs. to 250 lbs. and the heavier guy is going to stress the bike out more. Some guys may go an oil change every ride and some do it every 500 miles. And so on.

There are a lot of factors that enter the equation when looking at the life of a dirt bike. Regular maintenance including oil changes and a clean air filter helps a lot.

Oh yeah, some guys like me like bouncing off the rev limiter. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.